Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New Illicit Drugs Policy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have no issues with the occasional cheeky reefer, and what happens in off season should stay in off season.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:16 am

Disappointing that we're one of two clubs named as leading the charge on this. Pert needs to stop crusading on social issues and stick to footy administration.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:54 am

For mine it need to be split into 2 distinct categories.

1 - Use of s social drug is illegal full stop. But this is a society issue and young men who can't binge drink or have regular benders with there mates on weekends may be more prone to partake in recreational drugs. Yes they are well payed for 21/22yr olds. Yes people earn more money outside football but not at the same age. If they get caught with this fine them heavily the first time, miss games the second time and if there stupid enough to do it a third then there gone. When they sign a contract they have obligations to the club. This includes being decent role models to fans including young men/ladies

2 - Performance enhancing substances are banned under the ASADA and WADA codes the AFL signed. By signing this they get funding from the federal government for stadium improvements and alike. Every sport in Australia who hasn't signed isn't able to get federal funding of any description. The use of these substances give players an unfair advantage over others. If your caught taking these 1st offence your suspended for 2yrs second time your gone for life

Very simple really
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:43 am

What ever happened to "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"

I guess the AFL have amended it to "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas unless we get you to piss it into a jar and take it to the lab"
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:12 am

FFS! Always love this arguement!

Good on the club, lead the charge.

I want a $£$%^%%$ premiership, actually bullshit I actually want as many as I can get.

These guys are paid a $£$%^%%$ fortune to do something enjoyable. They can set themselves up for life in a very short space of time.

I don't get why it's so hard to give it your best shot.

They can have a drink in the off season. Why do they need the buzz of an illicit drug? Why does anyone? Unless your talking medical marihuana then no, no one needs it. It's not just harmful to the body, it's harmful to others. It kills. It destroys dealers, families, police, every little tablet is killing someone else. and feeding an empire built on greed.

Do you want a premiership or are you happy to be the 'feel good' club?

Let them get high and blow their money when Their footy career is done. Hopefully they are smart enough to say NO By then.

How about you ask Thomas or keefe their opinion now? I bet they wish they never touched the stuff.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:21 am

swoop42 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Defender wrote:
Dangles wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Not too fussed. I'd scrap the illicit drug testing entirely. Footy's not a life or death situation (surgery is and not even surgeons are tested) and testing for illicit drugs is completely unnecessary. It's nothing other than a brand saving measure.

I agree. What next? Mandatory drug testing for celebrities and politicians because they're role models too?

It's protecting the clubs as well as the players, no ones saying don't use drugs, all's their saying is if you want clubs to pay you ridiculous amounts of money then don't use drugs, if you don't like the rule do something else.

An average wage of $200,000 isn't "massive" money. It's modest for elite sports people (Soccer, Basketball, NFL, Baseball are all earning many more millions). There are plenty of people who earn this and more, doing jobs that are far more important, and they're not drug tested. It has nothing to do with how much they're being paid, it has nothing to do with player welfare, it's all about protecting the brand.

The irrelevant fact that they earn "a lot of money" just makes people feel better about treating them unfairly. Why aren't politicians tested? They earn good money and do a job where it actually might matter whether you're using drugs or not.

People working in the mining industry for example are often required to undertake random drug tests and know to get or retain the job they have to agree to it. Penalties or loss of job will apply for any failures.

I don't see any difference here.

Players sign essentially a job contract with there clubs who in turn are beholden to the AFL who has a policy in relation to illicit drugs.

I don't see what the big deal is to be honest.

Players are employees and don't set the terms for that employment.

Correct. As do truck drivers. But surely you see the difference? These are life or death situations. Sport, as far as I know, is the only workplace where people are randomly tested for illicit drugs where safety is not the concern.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:30 am

We lost the TAC sponsorship thanks to a couple of our players drink driving. Sponsorship drives the sport, buys the premierships. Big part of the reason the players gets paid well is image. The paying public expect players to behave, and yes, be a good example to their children. Getting high and missing goals is not a good example.

Yes cousins managed it, but how good could he have been? The best ever? We will never know.

If we say ok and three strikes is fine, we say it to other professions too. And it ain't fine.not even for an office worker. You happy to get your credit blown by a dickwad to high to do his job?

Medieval 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:49 am

So many incorrect uses of 'their', 'there', and 'they're', 'to' and 'too', and 'your' and 'you're' in this thread that I think some of you may need to submit to some illicit drug testing. Laughing
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:59 am

They should be banned from alcohol, too! It's ridiculous that they can't abstain from booze for a few years to get the best out of themselves. They're paid good money, they should be forced to stay sober while they are in the afl.

And test for fatty foods, too. Sure they have skin fold tests but doesn't mean they couldn't be better players if they gave it up, all together.

What a bunch of wowsers we have become.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:00 am

think positive wrote:
We lost the TAC sponsorship thanks to a couple of our players drink driving. Sponsorship drives the sport, buys the premierships. Big part of the reason the players gets paid well is image. The paying public expect players to behave, and yes, be a good example to their children. Getting high and missing goals is not a good example.

Has any player in the history of the AFL actually turned up on match day high?

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

The only way that 'the kids' would ever find out that AFL players are taking drugs during the off-season is if the media decide to report it. Which raises the question, why would anyone consider such news to be in the public interest?

This desire to punish AFL players for generating tabloid headlines is like calling Britney Spears a bad role model because some creep shoved a camera under her skirt.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:48 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

The only way that 'the kids' would ever find out that AFL players are taking drugs during the off-season is if the media decide to report it. Which raises the question, why would anyone consider such news to be in the public interest?

This desire to punish AFL players for generating tabloid headlines is like calling Britney Spears a bad role model because some creep shoved a camera under her skirt.

Actually I'd lay odds that they have

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:57 am

roar wrote:
They should be banned from alcohol, too! It's ridiculous that they can't abstain from booze for a few years to get the best out of themselves. They're paid good money, they should be forced to stay sober while they are in the afl.

And test for fatty foods, too. Sure they have skin fold tests but doesn't mean they couldn't be better players if they gave it up, all together.

What a bunch of wowsers we have become.

The whole population would be better off without alcohol, myself included, but that's besides the point.

What kind of fat are you talking about? No one need saturated fat, the exception being coconut oil, which is a saturated fat, but is still a healthy fat. Everyone needs a certain amount of healthy fat, you just have to choose the right one. And yes I know you were being sarcastic.

But if you are going to get the best out of yourself as an athlete, then you do need to watch your skin folds year round, and you do need to fuel yourself with the best fuel there is. Just like a sports car will choke on cheap fuel.

A bunch of wowsers? Is this a professional sport? Do we want our team to achieve the best result? Do we want our team to be a nice shiny professional vehicle? I do.

And for the question I will no doubt get, could/would I do it? In a heart beat. I love sport, I love to compete. I would have given just about anything to be a professional athlete, or even a non professional at Olympic level. I made A grade as the gutsy trier, who never quit, who trained her arse off, but I never had the talent or height needed to make state level. Probably why I admire the likes of jarrod Blair so much. And guess what? I may be no superstar, I may be old and over the hill, but when I'm training for a fun run event, I still do it right. And that means no alcohol, no junk. I'll see you on the beach in summer. I'll be the 52 year old in the muscles and the bikini, blowing the opposition away on her surfboard! (Not hard, in my age group, there is very limited competition!)

makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:40 pm

David wrote:

Bassed on what happens overseas I'd say it's likely. Look at someone like Paul Gascoingne in England, high profile, extremely talented. Would play in games, and well, that he couldn't remember.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dave-prentice-gazzas-recipe-everton-3359249

I'd say there would be cases in most professional leagues around the world including the AFL.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:01 pm

With so many prisoners in our gaols identifying as football supporters that Ben Cousins has got a lot to answer for. I’m surprised more people don’t use Ben’s bad example as a defence in court when they’re facing drug related charges. Rolling Eyes
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:47 pm

swoop42 wrote:

People working in the mining industry for example are often required to undertake random drug tests and know to get or retain the job they have to agree to it. Penalties or loss of job will apply for any failures.

I don't see any difference here.

Players sign essentially a job contract with there clubs who in turn are beholden to the AFL who has a policy in relation to illicit drugs.

I don't see what the big deal is to be honest.

Players are employees and don't set the terms for that employment.

People who work in mining industries use heavy dangerous equipment
Players do not

From conversations I've had with people in the mining industry Weed is a big no no being a fat based substance it remains in the body for up to a week E speed etc are water based so are out of the system in a day so are preferred.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: