Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Syria

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:58 pm
Post subject: SyriaReply with quote

other than seeking a distraction why is the government so keen on bombing syria?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "other".
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:02 pm

i was trying to ascertain whether there was a financial or international political benefit but couldn't for the life of me work out a logical reason. it is abhorrent the govt is considering expending considerable resources to a phoney conflict.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:03 pm

But let's pretend that there is an "other", just for fun. We have two possibilities and only two possibilities:

(a) Our forces have been so wildly successful that there aren't enough targets left anywhere else, so they have to bomb Syria or go home 'coz there is nothing else to do.

(b) Our forces are usefully and fully engaged in Iran, so given our very limited resources, bombing Syria can only take place at the cost of not doing the job properly in Irak.

Which one is your money on?

Last edited by Tannin on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:33 pm

John Wren wrote:
i was trying to ascertain whether there was a financial or international political benefit but couldn't for the life of me work out a logical reason. it is abhorrent the govt is considering expending considerable resources to a phoney conflict.

What's 'phoney' about the Syrian Civil War? I understand if you're saying it's phoney in the sense as to why the Abbott Government is eager to bomb targets in Syria but otherwise this is far from a phoney conflict. It's probably the most complicated and brutal war we're witnessing around the world.

By the way there's already a thread about ISIS and the Syrian Civil War so hopefully David can merge the threads as they're directly related to the question you're asking.

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=75726&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The articles below might be of interest to you JW.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rodger-shanahan/isis-syria-australia-assad_b_8067646.html?ir=Australia

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/syria-strikes-top-expert-questions-tony-abbotts-motivation-for-air-strikes-in-syria-20150829-gjajn9.html

http://theconversation.com/australian-bombs-wont-bring-peace-to-syria-so-why-do-it-46674

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:40 pm

Why bury this in a long, tedious thread that most of us have given up reading long since? This is a different aspect of the conflict, and it is as much - well, OK, more - about domestic politics than it is about ISIS.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:08 am

Because there's nothing like a good war for the polls.

(Which is not to say that bombing ISIS targets in Syria is necessarily wrong. That's a complex argument in its own right. But we're always going to be a bit player in that at best, so our involvement is more or less irrelevant.)

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:19 am

Tannin wrote:
Why bury this in a long, tedious thread that most of us have given up reading long since? This is a different aspect of the conflict, and it is as much - well, OK, more - about domestic politics than it is about ISIS.

Valid points mate. After all the thread is more about the government's proposed actions rather than the greater issue of the Syrian Civil War as a whole so you are correct in that regard. I'm probably just being too pendatic now.

It was merely a suggestion on my behalf because the two issues interconnect with one another but it's up to the mods either way whether to merge it or not so I'm not bothered whether they take up my suggestion or not.

David wrote:
(Which is not to say that bombing ISIS targets in Syria is necessarily wrong. That's a complex argument in its own right. But we're always going to be a bit player in that at best, so our involvement is more or less irrelevant.)

Well-said David!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 am

Possibly to the surprise of a few here - and the disgust of PTID no doubt - I support our participation in the conflict, and if bombing in Syria rather than Iraq is more useful to the ostensible purpose (as distinct from the real purpose, which is of course getting Abbott reelected), then so be it.

In the end, the only way we are going to resolve the refugee crisis is by removing the regime which is causing it. If we are going to refuse entry to Australia (and Europe) to the hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of people trying to escape places like Syria (as I believe we should), then we are morally obligated to help them reclaim their land.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:10 am

Tannin wrote:

thanks tannin. i was hoping to get a straightforward answer without the usual dick pulling that gets interwoven into responses and i got what i was seeking.

jezza, if the need for our government to go to war is on a confected basis to suit their own domestic political agenda then i consider it to be phoney. if they are supporting a war on altruistic humanitarian grounds then i have less of a problem with it.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:49 am

^ and just how would you tell the difference, JW ?

Personally, after the disaster of Iraq, i think we're better off allowing it to run its course and laving that region to its own catastrophic devices.

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:52 am

Tannin wrote:
Possibly to the surprise of a few here - and the disgust of PTID no doubt - I support our participation in the conflict, and if bombing in Syria rather than Iraq is more useful to the ostensible purpose (as distinct from the real purpose, which is of course getting Abbott reelected), then so be it.

In the end, the only way we are going to resolve the refugee crisis is by removing the regime which is causing it. If we are going to refuse entry to Australia (and Europe) to the hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of people trying to escape places like Syria (as I believe we should), then we are morally obligated to help them reclaim their land.

I don't think there's any prospect of us attacking Assad government targets, is there? I think this is solely aimed at ISIS.

It's probably worth mentioning that bombing Syrian (as opposed to Iraqi) targets is contrary to international law. For people who care about such things. We haven't been invited in.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:41 pm

What has your response got to do with my post? This gets tedious, reading your responses to things you made up that I neither said nor meant. The target here is IS. No-one except you thinks otherwise.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Sorry, a misunderstanding – I thought your second paragraph was dependent on the first (i.e. "The only way of solving this problem is getting rid of Assad", therefore "we should bomb Syria"). If you read your post again you'll probably see how I came to the conclusion I did.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:58 pm

No worries, David. No, much as I can happily blame Assad for everything from sunspots down, the regime I have in mind to get rid of is of course IS, though I'd settle for Abbott's if the end of that one is on offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: