Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Resist the urge to trade Oxley in Aish trade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

perthmagpie wrote:
Oxley is unique. The combination of a penetrating, powerful, arrow kick combined with elite reading of the ball in flight and the ability to take one grab marks whilst being smashed in a pack is something we don't have much of. He sees the game much quicker than most on our list. He has a stick thin torso and legs at this stage. Nothing that condtioning can't fix in two years. Anyone remember Kenny Hunter? Oxley has similar attributes.

excellent summary

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:16 am

Watched Seedsman play the game of his life against Essendon in the ANZAC game this year. For some reason I can't explain I just can't see Seedsman ever replicating that form again. On the other hand, on the assumption Oxley gains weight after another preseason next year, I can see Oxley performing the role at half back he performed against Melbourne with regularity against other sides. He has poise, is a beautiful kick, knows where to run to get the ball and is one of the best marks in the team. In the game against Port Melbourne on the weekend he easily outshone Seedsman. Seedsman is down on form after a terrible second half of the season. I'm assuming he will get back to some form after a solid preseason next year. I just don't think Seedsman will ever be as good as he was on ANZAC day this year. I hope I'm wrong.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:06 am
Post subject: Re: Resist the urge to trade Oxley in Aish tradeReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Our second round pick + Seedsman. And if they really want to crunch us in retaliation to the Beams deal we could offer EITHER Blair OR Fasolo with the return of a 3rd round draft pick our way.

Actually, Blair to Brisbane isn't such a bad idea. He's going to struggle to keep his place in the senior side as our youngsters come on - I reckon 'Caff is a monte to grab his spot next year but even if he doesn't there are plenty of others who very well might - where, at Brisbane, he could be just what they need. He's hard at it, committed, a great trainer by all reports, a premiership player, and could provide great leadership to the kids Brisbane absolutely must bring on and retain if they are to crawl off the bottom of the pool. For Brisbane, a hard, courageous forward with experience and plenty of years left. For Blair, a leadership role and a virtual guarantee of 22 senior games each year. And for us ... well, depends on what they offer.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:26 am
Post subject: Re: Resist the urge to trade Oxley in Aish tradeReply with quote

Tannin wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Our second round pick + Seedsman. And if they really want to crunch us in retaliation to the Beams deal we could offer EITHER Blair OR Fasolo with the return of a 3rd round draft pick our way.

Actually, Blair to Brisbane isn't such a bad idea. He's going to struggle to keep his place in the senior side as our youngsters come on - I reckon 'Caff is a monte to grab his spot next year but even if he doesn't there are plenty of others who very well might - where, at Brisbane, he could be just what they need. He's hard at it, committed, a great trainer by all reports, a premiership player, and could provide great leadership to the kids Brisbane absolutely must bring on and retain if they are to crawl off the bottom of the pool. For Brisbane, a hard, courageous forward with experience and plenty of years left. For Blair, a leadership role and a virtual guarantee of 22 senior games each year. And for us ... well, depends on what they offer.

I'd be on board with a Blair trade, unless he's happy to be a depth player and stay on in that capacity. I think he's pretty settled in Melbourne and spends a lot of time back home so I'm not sure if he'd be happy to go interstate, depending if he has a choice or not.

While Greenwood is in the side, Caff won't get a game. We can't play Greenwood, Crisp and Caff together and he's a distant third compared to those other guys. Another depth player at best.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:05 am

What makes you think Caff would play as a midfield tagger, SwansWay? He's likely to go back to his original and best role as a medium forward who can mark, tackle, kick, lead, negate, and score majors.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:30 am

Need to trade a reasonable player to get something good back the other way, Oxley is dispensable.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:35 am

Tannin wrote:
Oxley will play 150 games for Collingwood. Back that in. He'll feature in at least two premierships. Back that in too.

Contrary to Bally's points, he's light because he's young and had a succession of injury-interrupted pre-seasons. He'll never be shaped like Blair or Brown, but he'll add core strength over the next couple of years - and with his ability to mark the pill, that will make him a fantastic wingman or utility.

He's certainly not slow. Like many taller players, he takes a little while to get up to speed, but at full tilt he's as quick as anyone. His mobility will become a weapon when he reaches peak fitness.

He has a beautiful long boot, no doubt about that, but he needs to work on his short kicking and his handball. Good handball under pressure is a skill that players learn with experience and drill. Kicking is more difficult to pick up.

Summary: I wouldn't trade Oxley for anything less than massive overs, and I do mean massive overs. If you really want to trade him, wait a couple of years and then you can ask for and get a first-round pick. Not that you would. This kid is a big part of our future.

Yep, agree. Been a long term fan. Continues to remind me of Shane Morwood. Lack of pace the only real concern with him.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:37 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Seedsman: not as good in the air, not as good one-on-one, seems to have reached his peak already.
Maynard: different sort of player. More a traditional defender, more of an inside player, not as good in the air. Good player, just different.
Scharenberg: the most similar of those you list. hard to say what role he will play longer-term.
Young: finished.
Marsh: lacks Oxley's class. Amazing pace. Could be anything.
Toovey: lacks Oxley's class, makes up for it with man-on-man toughness and pace. Or used to. Not been the same since his ACL, but could rebound next year - it can take a long, long time to get over a knee. Still a poor kick though.
Goldsack: tougher, stronger, lacks class, Mr Fumbles on a good day, don't even ask about the bad days.

Summary: Scharenberg is the only close match. We should keep them both.

Agree with most of that, though I definitely don't think Seedsman has reached his peak and he is a better runner and user than Oxley. Maynard, again, probably a better user but not as good in the air or as tall (though Oxley is 190cm and Maynard 186).

Langdon's another. And while I agree that Scharanberg's the only real match, we have a lot of tallish back half runners on the list at the moment.

I think Seed has a few lingering fitness issues with his hip so hopefully he'll overcome those in the off season and have a solid preseason. 2016 could be make or break for him.

Oxley is listed at 193.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:40 am

Tannin wrote:
What makes you think Caff would play as a midfield tagger, SwansWay? He's likely to go back to his original and best role as a medium forward who can mark, tackle, kick, lead, negate, and score majors.

Played mainly midfield Saturday.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:41 am

Darkstranger wrote:
Need to trade a reasonable player to get something good back the other way, Oxley is dispensable.

yep, 2nd round & Oxley would be a fair trade
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:43 am

Tannin wrote:

For one, he's not a great kick for goal. His kicking lacks penetration. I don't think he'd be able to play that position very effectively now. Moulding him into a tagger was a last ditch effort to try and find some way to keep him in the side because we ran out of ways to justify a position for him in our best 22. As a stopper he didn't get much of the footy himself. Caff is somewhere between a B-C grade player.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:25 pm

SwansWay wrote:
Tannin wrote:

For one, he's not a great kick for goal. His kicking lacks penetration. I don't think he'd be able to play that position very effectively now. Moulding him into a tagger was a last ditch effort to try and find some way to keep him in the side because we ran out of ways to justify a position for him in our best 22. As a stopper he didn't get much of the footy himself. Caff is somewhere between a B-C grade player.

As a stopper Greenwood has a good record. But he is also able to split contests, and extract more ball than Caff. He seems to get more disposals when tagging. I'd have him ahead of Caff. In fact the last two games has shown how valuable Greenwood could be next year. A stopper in the middle if decide to go with one in a game who will still get 25 disposals and kick a goal or two. Then we also have Crisp who could be a secondary stopper who hurts with his kicking.

It seems so long since Caff was relied upon to be a goalkicker. I wonder if he could still do it.

roar 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:47 pm

Seeds is quicker but Oxley has him covered in all other aspects, IMO.

Both need to be stronger in the contest and both could use another 5-10 kgs.

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:54 pm

its not going to be Oxley going for aish.

its another player (lower number then Oxley) that will be going for aish
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:54 pm

delete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: