Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sub rule gone, rotations capped at 90

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:27 pm
Post subject: Sub rule gone, rotations capped at 90Reply with quote

Finally some common sense from the AFL.

AFL officially scrap the sub rule, I reckon Ben Kennedy is probably the happiest bloke on the planet.

http://www.news.com.au/national/afl-to-officially-scrap-sub-rule-and-slash-number-of-rotations-in-bid-to-reduce-on-field-congestion/story-e6frfkp9-1227511069641

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, about bloody time. The sub rule was bullshit right from the start.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:36 pm

That's an improvement, but I still think the AFL will re-visit this again in a year or two and reduce the allowable subs to around 60 if they really want to have an impact.

My solution would be to limit the use of substitutions to only after a goal has been scored, as well as after each quarter. This is when there is a natural halt in the play. Even then though, I'd limit it to no more than 2 players to be substituted at a time. This would end the constant running on and off of players during play.
themonk 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:41 pm
Post subject: Re: Sub rule gone, rotations capped at 90Reply with quote

Johnno75 wrote:
Finally some common sense from the AFL.

AFL officially scrap the sub rule, I reckon Ben Kennedy is probably the happiest bloke on the planet.

http://www.news.com.au/national/afl-to-officially-scrap-sub-rule-and-slash-number-of-rotations-in-bid-to-reduce-on-field-congestion/story-e6frfkp9-1227511069641

Remember when this was for player safety by reducing injuries?

120 down to 90.

The AFL making sure they eliminate and drive a stake through the heart of the successful rotation system used to win us a flag.

Twisted Evil

I do understand the need for it now, but the original reasoning was rubbish.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:44 pm

Congratulations, Steele Sidebottom - your elite endurance has just made you the most valuable footballer in the AFL.

Wait until they reduce the cap to 60 - they'll make a special rule requiring Steele to play with his legs tied together.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:54 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
That's an improvement, but I still think the AFL will re-visit this again in a year or two and reduce the allowable subs to around 60 if they really want to have an impact.

My solution would be to limit the use of substitutions to only after a goal has been scored, as well as after each quarter. This is when there is a natural halt in the play. Even then though, I'd limit it to no more than 2 players to be substituted at a time. This would end the constant running on and off of players during play.

Not too sure about this RB. Many low scoring games in terrible weather have almost goalless quarters. You'll have players falling down exhausted out on the ground mate. This is not at all feasible in my humble view.

And I don’t think anyone really worries about these interchanges happening during the quarter because they are done so very quickly.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:03 pm

So the AFL is finally admitting what a Joke of a Rule this was Smile
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:16 pm

Wasn't the sub rule brought in to slow the game down and ease congestion on the field?Well,that went well,didn't it? Shocked
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Not too sure about this RB. Many low scoring games in terrible weather have almost goalless quarters. You'll have players falling down exhausted out on the ground mate. This is not at all feasible in my humble view.

And I don’t think anyone really worries about these interchanges happening during the quarter because they are done so very quickly.

People forget that for over 100 years we played the game without any rotations. We just had 2 interchange and once they were off, they could not come back on. The game seemed to be pretty good to me back then. Still wtfwik? Wink
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:36 pm

Should make it easier to play both Grundy and Witts. Now we can rotate them between the ruck and bench. Should help develop both of them.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

People forget that for over 100 years we played the game without any rotations. We just had 2 interchange and once they were off, they could not come back on. The game seemed to be pretty good to me back then. Still wtfwik? Wink

Easy answer for that RB. Different game these days mate. Just watch any game from even the 80's and you plainly see that the speed/pace of the game now is incredible in comparison. The enormous efforts and fitness levels now required would make the then "stars" from the VFL just about bloody useless. I was speaking to Rene Kink on Tuesday night at a Collingwood function in Bendigo and he said he would have struggled to get a game these days due to the pace of the game and the fitness levels required. Peter McCormack who was also present thought he could play at full back but not at full forward. It was interesting to hear from them how much the pace of the game has changed over the past 20 - 30 years.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Easy answer for that RB. Different game these days mate. Just watch any game from even the 80's and you plainly see that the speed/pace of the game now is incredible in comparison. The enormous efforts and fitness levels now required would make the then "stars" from the VFL just about bloody useless. I was speaking to Rene Kink on Tuesday night at a Collingwood function in Bendigo and he said he would have struggled to get a game these days due to the pace of the game and the fitness levels required. Peter McCormack who was also present thought he could play at full back but not at full forward. It was interesting to hear from them how much the pace of the game has changed over the past 20 - 30 years.

Yes, but that's the very reason the game is in such strife. The speed of players running forward and back, crowding around ball-ups, flooding defences etc, has destroyed positional play completely. That's why there's no great full forwards any more. It's the constant rotations which enables players to run flat out all the time. The AFL's obsession with making the game faster over the past 20 yrs has just about f*cked the game imo. Reduce the rotations so players have to pace themselves, so they play more of a positional game instead of having everyone running after the ball like a flock of bees, leading to massive congestion and ball up after ball up. You reap what you sow.
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 pm

I feel that 90 is a bit of a cop out by the AFL, obviously kow-towing to the AFLCA and AFLPA. 80 would have been a more effective way to see the impact of the rule, personally feel it should come down to 60. Though I'm incrediy happy about the stupid sub rule, what a crock
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:31 pm

If this is accurate - it's half-arsed at best.
90 will not do a great deal to change the status-quo.

To make an actual difference, 40 needed to be the maximum number.
And the answer to any whinging from the Coaches and/or the Players' Association: adapt your game style to fit.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:21 pm

I'm happy with the change. Good riddence to the sub I say. Hated the rule when it came in. Still hate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: