Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New Illicit Drugs Policy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:19 pm
Post subject: New Illicit Drugs PolicyReply with quote

Fairfax is reporting that a new illicit drugs policy will be in place by the end of the season and involves a 4 week ban & $5000 fine for a second positive reading.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fourmatch-ban-for-second-strike-at-heart-of-proposed-afl-drugs-policy-20150902-gjdqyg.html

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

and Player Named?

Still get 1 chance though

mattys123 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:50 pm

Seems fair to me, everyone gets a good warning before any real punishment is handed out.

If you get caught a second or third term then you really can't blame anyone but yourself.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:33 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Seems fair to me, everyone gets a good warning before any real punishment is handed out.

If you get caught a second or third term then you really can't blame anyone but yourself.

The AFLPA would come up with Excuses why someone would get caught more then Once Rolling Eyes

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Not too fussed. I'd scrap the illicit drug testing entirely. Footy's not a life or death situation (surgery is and not even surgeons are tested) and testing for illicit drugs is completely unnecessary. It's nothing other than a brand saving measure.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:43 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Not too fussed. I'd scrap the illicit drug testing entirely. Footy's not a life or death situation (surgery is and not even surgeons are tested) and testing for illicit drugs is completely unnecessary. It's nothing other than a brand saving measure.

So you be Happy for Players to play AFL off there Heads?

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:55 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

I agree. What next? Mandatory drug testing for celebrities and politicians because they're role models too?
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:00 pm

There should be different punishments for different drugs, if a player enjoys a toke on a joint then so what? But doing that gives him the same punishment as someone sucking the glass dick, IMO if you test positive to Meth you're banned until you undergo rehabilitation, there's a reason meth is such a dangerous drug, not many get off it when addicted and let's be real, the chances of getting caught the first time you use it are remote, so those who do get caught have probably been using for a while, same goes for other heavy drugs.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:08 pm

Dangles wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

I agree. What next? Mandatory drug testing for celebrities and politicians because they're role models too?

It's protecting the clubs as well as the players, no ones saying don't use drugs, all's their saying is if you want clubs to pay you ridiculous amounts of money then don't use drugs, if you don't like the rule do something else.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Defender wrote:
Dangles wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

It's protecting the clubs as well as the players, no ones saying don't use drugs, all's their saying is if you want clubs to pay you ridiculous amounts of money then don't use drugs, if you don't like the rule do something else.

Spot

On

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:52 pm

A few years ago now the drug test for opiates was so sensitive that you could get a positive reading from eating a small sprinkle of poppy seeds. Needless to say, many confused Eastern Europeans and Russians failed to get jobs they applied for with no explanation.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:20 pm

Defender wrote:
Dangles wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

An average wage of $200,000 isn't "massive" money. It's modest for elite sports people (Soccer, Basketball, NFL, Baseball are all earning many more millions). There are plenty of people who earn this and more, doing jobs that are far more important, and they're not drug tested. It has nothing to do with how much they're being paid, it has nothing to do with player welfare, it's all about protecting the brand.

The irrelevant fact that they earn "a lot of money" just makes people feel better about treating them unfairly. Why aren't politicians tested? They earn good money and do a job where it actually might matter whether you're using drugs or not.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:57 am

Dave The Man wrote:
and Player Named?

Still get 1 chance though

Pretty hard to suspend a player for 4 weeks secretly. Guess they could claim an injury but wouldn't take too long to get out.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:59 am

AN_Inkling wrote:

Tend to agree although there is some research that suggests illicit drugs can offer some enhanced performance.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:17 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Defender wrote:
Dangles wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

An average wage of $200,000 isn't "massive" money. It's modest for elite sports people (Soccer, Basketball, NFL, Baseball are all earning many more millions). There are plenty of people who earn this and more, doing jobs that are far more important, and they're not drug tested. It has nothing to do with how much they're being paid, it has nothing to do with player welfare, it's all about protecting the brand.

The irrelevant fact that they earn "a lot of money" just makes people feel better about treating them unfairly. Why aren't politicians tested? They earn good money and do a job where it actually might matter whether you're using drugs or not.

People working in the mining industry for example are often required to undertake random drug tests and know to get or retain the job they have to agree to it. Penalties or loss of job will apply for any failures.

I don't see any difference here.

Players sign essentially a job contract with there clubs who in turn are beholden to the AFL who has a policy in relation to illicit drugs.

I don't see what the big deal is to be honest.

Players are employees and don't set the terms for that employment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: