Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Commentators on the Johnson Hit - what a joke!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

after watching the game, i had no idea that up to 5 geelong players where facing retirement...none at all

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:31 am

Deja Vu wrote:
AFL just announced Round 22 will henceforth be known as Menzel Round. All clubs will wear specifically designed knee strapping with players from both clubs observing a minutes silence before the game. The best player will be awarded the Golden Crutch Medal.

swanny must have known something. he even took the second half off to acknowledge and celebrate it.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:07 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Yep, Carey and Ling have got every reportable incident wrong in recent weeks. Both of them went for Nathan Brown 2 weeks ago. They never held back.
Ling said:
Players can't be doing that sort of thing. It shouldn't be tolerated and he'll get weeks. When a player is going for the ball he shouldn't have to worry about another player with no eyes for the ball taking him out. Brown copped 1 week.

Luke Hodge smashes Wigard into the point post. It was deliberate, medium intensity and high. These muppets said that it wasn't Hodge's fault that the post was there. Ling said and I'll quote for accuracy: "You can't rub him out for that." Hodge gets two weeks. Has anybody bothered to explain the rules to these two muppets? Do they know how these incidents are graded? Apparently not.

My take is that these blokes are star struck. The stars of the game can do no wrong. These blokes literally try to down-play the incidents hoping that they may have some influence on the MRP.

Last night, only Dennis Cometti said that Johnson would go. He suggested he'd get a week or two.

And don't even start me on the biased nature of the commentary. Collingwood might as well have not been there. 7 goals in front? Who cares, let's go on and on and on about Geelong's retiring players and Menzel. Yes I loved the Menzel comeback; a terrific story of never giving up and of great courage, but was it necessary to devote 12 minutes to it? I half expected Menzel's cat to get an interview in the end.

They just hate us, pure and simple. What other conclusion could one draw after last night? For all the hate Bruce cops here, at least he wouldn't have led the Geelong cheer squad last night like McLaughlin did. Truly sickening.

Neil 100% right.
In the after game thread first thing I mentioned was Menzell it's a great story and should be a inspiration to any young player facing advserity. I can understand some commentary focused on him during a game when he played well in a very bad side.
The second half commentary was basically solely devoted to the career ending decisions facing several Geelong players. Lying questioned at length on everyone of them. Then every commentator has there 2c worth. Let's not focus on the game before us which the magpies where winning and winning in style as well. At qtr time we kicked 7-1 a great start but what do they say ? This is the reverse of last time the 2 teams met Geelong got out to a fantastic start then. No mention of how we moved the ball with such efficiency or our accuracy
Makes me sick
Don't start me on the Johnson hit with a elbow miles behind play. He has a form line bigger than phar lap in these regards. Ling also said they can't take away his chance of playing possibly 1 last match in front of the cattery ? Really that's more important than protecting the head of a player ?
My good wife keeps reminding me that they can't hear my screams of protest when I shout obscenities at the TV screen.
Lucky she's used to my nuisances after 28yrs together. And as a form of apology she has a shoe collection Emlda Marcos would be proud of lol
Your right they hate us and I care not its part of the fun of being s magpie supporter
Haters can hate
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:57 am

John Wren wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:
AFL just announced Round 22 will henceforth be known as Menzel Round. All clubs will wear specifically designed knee strapping with players from both clubs observing a minutes silence before the game. The best player will be awarded the Golden Crutch Medal.

swanny must have known something. he even took the second half off to acknowledge and celebrate it.

And isn't it fantastic to see some senior players really getting behind this superb AFL initiative; well done Swanny

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:35 am

How many knee reconstructions has he had? I missed it the first fourteen million times they mentioned it.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Has there been an alternative angle shown somewhere because the footage they showed on Friday night looked more like he got him in the chest than head. Not even sure he had intent, it all happened very quickly. Sorry to have two eyes in but that's what I saw.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Dangles wrote:
How many knee reconstructions has he had? I missed it the first fourteen million times they mentioned it.

Interestingly, I started the evening feeling reasonably indifferent to him but, by the end, I was actively hoping for number 5, just to hear Bruce say "Well, that's a real tragedy, isn't it?"
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:36 pm

John Wren wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:

I heard that in honour of his 4 goal return after missing 4 years from 4 recos they're going to make round 4 the Daniel Menzel round. Apparently they'll observe 4 minutes silence at the start of every game. They've also come out and said that at the completion of this year all number 4 jumpers are to be retired at every club. When one AFL adviser pointed out that Menzel wears number 10 he was promptly fired for not buying into the team's vision.

Last edited by Dangles on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Wayne Carey was generally singing the praises of our young list and labelled us a potential force for the next five years. It's not all Anti Collingwood.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:36 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
The Johnson act was clearly worse. It was an intentional head high hit behind the play. Brown's was a split second reaction after he had initially been preparing to take a mark. The force of it was quite a bit less but the damage done was on par with the hit on Parker.

Personally, I feel we should have extra loading for off the ball hits. They should clearly be automatically graded as intentional. This one would likely be low impact and maybe a fine is appropriate, but I'm much more comfortable with a player being suspended for what Johnson did than what Brown did.

Well said and all this video reporting stemmed from a desire to stop the off the play contact following the Matthews - Bruns incident. It's a blight on the game that needs to be stamped out or at a minimum more heavily sanctioned.

Last edited by jackcass on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:36 pm

Dangles wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:

I heard that in honour of his 4 goal return after missing 4 years from 4 recos they're going to make round 4 for the Daniel Menzel round. Apparently they'll observe 4 minutes silence at the start of every game. They've also come out and said that at the completion of this year all number 4 jumpers are to be retired at every club. When one AFL adviser pointed out that Menzel wears number 10 he as promptly fired for not buying into the team's vision.

Not just in the AFL, either. They're already doing this in Green Bay:

http://fox6now.com/2015/02/27/packers-fans-invited-to-lambeau-field-for-brett-favres-hall-of-fame-induction/

You'll see there that the idea goes a bit further - tickets $4 and parking $4, too!!!
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Dangles wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:

I heard that in honour of his 4 goal return after missing 4 years from 4 recos they're going to make round 4 for the Daniel Menzel round. Apparently they'll observe 4 minutes silence at the start of every game. They've also come out and said that at the completion of this year all number 4 jumpers are to be retired at every club. When one AFL adviser pointed out that Menzel wears number 10 he as promptly fired for not buying into the team's vision.

Not just in the AFL, either. They're already doing this in Green Bay:

http://fox6now.com/2015/02/27/packers-fans-invited-to-lambeau-field-for-brett-favres-hall-of-fame-induction/

You'll see there that the idea goes a bit further - tickets $4 and parking $4, too!!!

"Tickets will be $4 each and proceedings are going to Farve 4 Hope" Laughing
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:19 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Dangles wrote:

Interestingly, I started the evening feeling reasonably indifferent to him but, by the end, I was actively hoping for number 5, just to hear Bruce say "Well, that's a real tragedy, isn't it?"

I know I shouldn't have but I nearly pissed myself laughing at that post P4S.

mosig 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:05 am

Dangles wrote:

I believe it was 28.

I was watching in HD and when you slow down the replay you can actually see that his right knee is just a ham hock stitched up with some fishing line.

True fact.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:38 am

It wouldn't surprise me, one of these days, if a player took a MRP decision to court if they feel that they were prejudiced by the media and didn't get a fair trial. It's not up to the commentators to speculate as to the amount of weeks a player might or might not get. Show the hit and then move on, minus the five dozen replays that they show throughout the remainder of the broadcast. Tools!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: