Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rookie upgrades and a sneaky selection!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Post subject: Rookie upgrades and a sneaky selection!!!Reply with quote

We have a couple of players staring us in the face that should be considered for some rookie selections namely:

* Ryan Pendlebury (great efficiency and poise off half back)

Retained rookies for 2016:

* M Manteit
* B Abbott

Downgrade senior players to rookie list (if available)

* J Thomas

(would let Keefe go, although it shall most likely be a package deal one way or the other)

Sneaky rookie possibilities:

Cale Morton: yes I know!! Before I get howled down, he is having an excellent season for Coburg under the coaching of Peter German. He is 6ft 4 inches, quick with good disposal and a much better 2 way runner now, Only 25 years of age and a former pick 4, one can't help but think a second chance at a club with a better culture than the Dees, he maybe a "CHEAP ROOKIE RISK".

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Ash Close.
There is something about him.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:26 pm

thompsoc wrote:
I really like Ash Close.

agree. any chance we can grab him?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:40 pm

thompsoc wrote:
I really like Ash Close.

He might be a bit skinny right now ... only 88kgs I think ... but as a longer term project maybe. Age may be against him for that though. Michael Still is probably more physically ready for AFL right now.

Depends what we are after ... immediate depth or project player. Someone suggested Cale Morton ... he and Still would provide immediate KPF depth if Cloke, Moore, White and/or Gault go down, bearing in mind we also have Reid and Goldsack who can swing forward and rookie Abbott who can play as a bullocking (shorter) 3rd tall.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:43 pm

Promote Abbott.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:44 pm
Post subject: Re: Rookie upgrades and a sneaky selection!!!Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
We have a couple of players staring us in the face that should be considered for some rookie selections namely:

* M Manteit
* B Abbott

* J Thomas

(would let Keefe go, although it shall most likely be a package deal one way or the other)

Cale Morton: yes I know!! Before I get howled down, he is having an excellent season for Coburg under the coaching of Peter German. He is 6ft 4 inches, quick with good disposal and a much better 2 way runner now, Only 25 years of age and a former pick 4, one can't help but think a second chance at a club with a better culture than the Dees, he maybe a "CHEAP ROOKIE RISK".

The Club has committed to take Thomas and Keeffe if available in rookie draft. If anything, Keeffe is the more valuable "asset" because 204cm/102kg guys with his skills (and good kicking efficiency) don't grow on trees. I like Thomas, but he is easier to replace and has probably fallen well down the pecking order and will do more so if we get Treloar and/or Aish.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:21 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

* M Manteit
* B Abbott

* J Thomas

The Club has committed to take Thomas and Keeffe if available in rookie draft. If anything, Keeffe is the more valuable "asset" because 204cm/102kg guys with his skills (and good kicking efficiency) don't grow on trees. I like Thomas, but he is easier to replace and has probably fallen well down the pecking order and will do more so if we get Treloar and/or Aish.

Some fair points. Found Keefe's 2014 very disappointing especially that game against Josh Jenkins in Adelaide. Also can't help but feel that footy moves fast these days and to carry them both for another year on our rookie list is a waste despite it being a thin draft for talent.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:28 pm

inxs88 wrote:

* M Manteit
* B Abbott

* J Thomas

I will see your Cale Morton and raise you a Mitch Brown ( ex Cats )
Unless of course, the Dockers don't grab him late in national draft first.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:12 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
I really like Ash Close.

He might be a bit skinny right now ... only 88kgs I think ... but as a longer term project maybe. Age may be against him for that though. Michael Still is probably more physically ready for AFL right now.

Depends what we are after ... immediate depth or project player. Someone suggested Cale Morton ... he and Still would provide immediate KPF depth if Cloke, Moore, White and/or Gault go down, bearing in mind we also have Reid and Goldsack who can swing forward and rookie Abbott who can play as a bullocking (shorter) 3rd tall.

Morton had a second chance at West Coast. His career is likely over now.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

* M Manteit
* B Abbott

* J Thomas

I will see your Cale Morton and raise you a Mitch Brown ( ex Cats )
Unless of course, the Dockers don't grab him late in national draft first.

Mitch Brown has had an excellent season at Sandi and also when he was called on to fill in at the EssenDANKdon in March.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:45 pm

Few guys at VFL level that have earned consideration I'd reckon. Still, Close, Taylor, Pendlebury, Moloney , and Borthwick. And my left field option, Viola. Like this kid. He's 189, quick, aggressive, and uses the footy really well.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:33 pm

[quote="RudeBoy"]Promote Abbott.[/quote

Be a Chance for 2016 Season

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:49 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Promote Abbott.

so long as you can guarantee he gives us more enjoyment than the other one.

this year was a development year for him. hopefully the injury has not set him back too much.

Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:42 am

Each time I watch our VFL side, someone standouts. Over the past couple of years the guys that have stood out for me from our side have been:

Ben Maloney - seems very professional and full of grunt. Medium to long term if Pendlebury plays at half back and Swan forward he could compliment our midfield stocks very well.

Ryan Pendlebury - much like Kris, he may be undersized as a key back at AFL which may hold him back. Obvious upside is that he would provide more counterattack and composure than Brown and Frost.

Ash Close - has made a massive impact in 3-4 games. Could be interesting with a 2 pronged attack along side Moore up forward, both being similar types. This scenario may see Gault being delisted and Cloke moving to a wing in a Matthew Richardson type role.

Ben Monkhorst - small sample size, but we lack that mobile mid sized goal kicking forward. His game against Richmond had moments for Jake Stringer. A genuine mid forward is our achilles in my opinion.

Jake Williams - had a better 2014 and probably wouldn't offer much more than Blair as a crumbing forward other than the occasional hanger. There is a bit of X factor though.

Rupert Wills - only played a handful of games but his size as a midfielder and his kicking was a highlight. Had a strong game against Richmond the first time we played them this year. A bit of David Mundy type.

Gus Borthwick and Jackson Viola are another 2 that might come into contention as mentioned. Borthwick looks like Toby Greene and Viola would be up against the likes of Scharenberg, Maynard and Marsh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: