Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Keeping one's feet in a contest

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:52 am
Post subject: Keeping one's feet in a contestReply with quote

Whilst keeping your feet in a contest is a basic tenet of football, I reckon a fair few of our players have gone to ground too easily the last 3-4 weeks, and some for longer than that.

This has been an equal factor in some of our losses as poor kicking.

Not everything can be explained by stats and structure and game plan and champion data points and all the crap that gets thrown around in the newspaper and afl360 and talking footy and on the couch and so on.
There is actually very little genuine analysis of football around despite the saturation coverage we have these days.

Sorry to single individuals out, but big culprits have been Fasolo, Frost, White, Oxley, Toovey, and it permeated through the side contributing to us looking worse than what we are.

But it was really noticeable tonight that our players didn't go to ground when contesting the ball, especially so in marking contests.
I'd reckon that it might've been a focus area from the coaches during the week - otherwise, maybe it was just by chance that we found ourselves in better positions to compete for the pill.

To their credit, Fasolo and White were greatly improved in this area, and we have some youngsters who are brilliant at keeping front position and holding their feet, led by Moore, Maynard, Grundy.

It's a very important aspect of the game.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

on a few occasions I noticed pendelbury staying out of the contested ball and letting the bulldogs go and get it and that really helped in the clearance rates. our positioning around the clearances have really stunk this second half of the season. that's were beams did his best work but the guys we had out there last night especially degoey really looks like a genuine clearance machine and stoppage pro.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:46 am

Yes keeping your feet is vital and our forwards certainly made an effort to compete and bring the ball to ground when they didn't mark it. We seemed very dangerous when the ball hit the deck.

I would like to see Pendles leaving the heavy extraction stuff to the young guys - it will keep him around longer Smile

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:23 am

Funny that you single out Moore for praise as I think he has been one of the worst for falling over, to the point where I have questioned, at times, the boots he has been wearing.
Reid another who falls over his own feet at times. Like watching Bambi trying to find his feet.

I'm not sure anyone deliberately falls over, but it does expose us when it occurs.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:04 am

Falling over has happened alot this year
Possibly because of players inexperience
Last night only a few slipped and we looked far better
Not sure how you train for it not to happen

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:34 am

^Not so much something to train for, but possibly a mindset and a focus.

^^Watch young Moore hold his ground under physical pressure in a marking contest, even when not taking the mark. It's a superb trait.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: