Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Reid is a Defender

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:47 pm
Post subject: Reid is a DefenderReply with quote

He can provide a useful option up forward, but his setup work from defense is too valuable for him to play there. He must play in defense unless we find one or two others who can provide the same delivery. Our best kick since Leon. He'd be perfect as a third tall option playing a similar role to Maxwell in the past. Less body on body contact and more intercept marking and lovely long left foot kicks (he is a left footer isn't he Question).

If we need another tall forward we should look for one in the trade period, but with Cloke, Moore, White, Grundy, Witts, we're not too badly off.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Debate is settled. That is his best position and where he will provide value for us. Fortunately Moore looks like he will be able to play second fiddle for Cloke, so Reid can stay down back.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:56 pm

How do you reckon Frost would go as a mobile marking forward?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:57 pm

His ability in defense has never been in question. Game against Cats who had Hawkins and then not much else probably not the right game to make a commitment about where he should play either. Add to that he's played most of the game as the +1.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:57 pm
Post subject: Re: Reid is a DefenderReply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
He can provide a useful option up forward, but his setup work from defense is too valuable for him to play there. He must play in defense unless we find one or two others who can provide the same delivery. Our best kick since Leon. He'd be perfect as a third tall option playing a similar role to Maxwell in the past. Less body on body contact and more intercept marking and lovely long left foot kicks (he is a left footer isn't he Question).

If we need another tall forward we should look for one in the trade period, but with Cloke, Moore, White, Grundy, Witts, we're not too badly off.

+1 Inky his a backman full stop
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:59 pm

For the time being, but if we have Keefe available he becomes a forward, IMO he should play exclusively as a fwd anyway, KFs are hard to find.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:01 am

jackcass wrote:
His ability in defense has never been in question. Game against Cats who had Hawkins and then not much else probably not the right game to make a commitment about where he should play either. Add to that he's played most of the game as the +1.

I'd prefer him to play as the +1. It's not his man on man defense that I want. The reason he has to play in defense is for his delivery. He is also an excellent reader of the ball and intercept mark but those are secondary to his ball use. His man defense is not something I've even considered. And this thought is not purely about tonight's game, we've seen him play a few more than that Very Happy. Tonight was just a reminder.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:02 am

thebaldfacts wrote:
Debate is settled. That is his best position and where he will provide value for us. Fortunately Moore looks like he will be able to play second fiddle for Cloke, so Reid can stay down back.

Absolutely true.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:05 am

Reid did look better down back. Spotting up targets and chopping off opposition forward forays. Still split on this.

Frost not a forward option Tannin. Can't trust his kicking. An athletic spoiling back.

Forward line of Cloke, Moore, Fasolo, Elliott, Broomhead, Varcoe/Swan next year. When Cloke is missing, Fasolo so much more dangerous. Pies look for leads instead of bombing the ball.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:07 am

Probably agree.

He had that purple patch late in 2013 and has been mainly injured ever since so it's hard to judge but you get the feeling he might be best suited to finding form and confidence as a defender first then just get swung forward during periods should the circumstances allow or demand it.

It's a bit like Carlisle.

Essendon have tried to turn him into a full time forward but it hasn't worked.

The time he showed some ability up forward was after establishing himself as a defender first throughout a large part of the year.

Taylor is another who when swung forward on occasion can become a damaging player but it's not something that should be deployed week after week.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:10 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
I'd prefer him to play as the +1. It's not his man on man defense that I want. The reason he has to play in defense is for his delivery. He is also an excellent reader of the ball and intercept mark but those are secondary to his ball use. His man defense is not something I've even considered. And this thought is not purely about tonight's game, we've seen him play a few more than that Very Happy. Tonight was just a reminder.

Yes.

On the other hand, we need forwards who can kick the pill too. I had him penciled in as a forward who goes back. After tonight's reminder, you think of him more as a back who goes forward.

But remember, we have other players coming on who can play the +1 role and deliver with precision. Shazza wil be one but in particular I'm thinking of Oxley with an extra pre-season and some meat on his bones.

Frost, forward, kicking. Good point. What was I thinking?

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:12 am

Well whatever we do, it certainly feels good to be having this discussion again!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:13 am

Him down back makes us lot better side.

His Kicking is fantastic out of backline

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:14 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Not disagreeing that he's good in the role but you look at the Cats and you add Stanley, you add Clark, and you're going to get burned more often with Langdon and Shaz minding genuine KPFs and Reid as a +1 might be too much of a luxury.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:15 am

Albert Parker wrote:
Reid did look better down back. Spotting up targets and chopping off opposition forward forays. Still split on this.

Frost not a forward option Tannin. Can't trust his kicking. An athletic spoiling back.

Forward line of Cloke, Moore, Fasolo, Elliott, Broomhead, Varcoe/Swan next year. When Cloke is missing, Fasolo so much more dangerous. Pies look for leads instead of bombing the ball.

Still think that forward line lacks a good medium tall.

Abbott is only 186cm but built like a tank so might fit that bill.

I want to unearth a Stringer type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: