Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Verdict on Greenwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:18 pm
Post subject: Verdict on GreenwoodReply with quote

I realise it's difficult to judge Levi after only 3 games, after missing most of the season with a broken foot, but what are my fellow Nicksters impressions of his worth and value to our side?

His main strength is that he's a tough beast who should excel in finals type footy imo. He is an extractor. His downside is that he is rather slow and not particularly silky by foot. You'll never question his effort. I wonder though, considering we've got Adams and just how good Crisp has been, whether Levi is an automatic inclusion in our best 22? Before the season I would have said categorically yes, but given how good Crisp has become as a run with player, accumulator and even goal kicker, I'm not sure Levi is an automatic selection. Obviously the next 4 weeks should tell us more about him, but what do others think of his contribution to our team?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks to me like a player who hasn't really recovered from his interrupted season. He's only half there. We will have to wait for next year to see him at his best.

Well, if we are lucky. He's only ever had one top year in his whole career (2014 at Norf); every other season he's been below-par because of injuries.

Keep him in the side, he's doing OK. There are worse players in our 22, and Greenwood will regain touch as he goes along, you'd reckon.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:25 pm

His form so far has been better than I expected. He's actually played more outside than inside and has won only a few clearances. Ball use has been good, certainly a few rungs above Adams. Crisp is a taller, quicker inside/outside player and there's no reason both he and Levi can't exist in the same team.

Greenwood is quite a limited player and depending on our mix he may sometimes struggle for a spot in a couple of years. Given our youth though, he'll still likely be a lock in our best 22 next year.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:25 pm

I had really noticed him in the previous games but took more notice yesterday. He was at the bottom of most packs either keeping it in for a restart or getting out to one of our guys. Very Luke Ball like.

A solid preseason and he'll be like a new recruit.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:29 pm

Some stats from last game:

Disposals (contested/uncontested): 6/14
Clearances: 1

This isn't the player I was expecting. I thought he'd be at the bottom of packs winning clearances and contested disposals. He's been playing well though and the fact that he's not solely an inside player, like say an Adams, means he's more likely to remain part of our best team.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:50 pm

Tannin wrote:
He looks to me like a player who hasn't really recovered from his interrupted season. He's only half there. We will have to wait for next year to see him at his best.

Correct; once you lose that fitness base from pre-season for a prolonged period, particularly to a leg injury, then you are just pushing too much shit up hill to return to a satisfactory level. I've no doubt he is still playing in pain from that incident.
I expect him to regain that ground lost, over the summer campaign.

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:54 pm

I hadn't noticed him too much but one thing that stood our for me against the filth was how assured he seems. Whenever he got the ball, regardless of the situation, he just looked very confident - and that tells me he's probably only going to get better.

Funny, I disliked yesterday's game so much and yet I didn't leave the ground going "this player played like crap or that player had a shocker". FWIW I thought he was in our best half of players. Probably doesn't say much but when he had to be off his feet for so long it says a bit.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:12 am
Post subject: Re: Verdict on GreenwoodReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I realise it's difficult to judge Levi after only 3 games, after missing most of the season with a broken foot, but what are my fellow Nicksters impressions of his worth and value to our side?

His main strength is that he's a tough beast who should excel in finals type footy imo. He is an extractor. His downside is that he is rather slow and not particularly silky by foot. You'll never question his effort. I wonder though, considering we've got Adams and just how good Crisp has been, whether Levi is an automatic inclusion in our best 22? Before the season I would have said categorically yes, but given how good Crisp has become as a run with player, accumulator and even goal kicker, I'm not sure Levi is an automatic selection. Obviously the next 4 weeks should tell us more about him, but what do others think of his contribution to our team?

That description Rudeboy is very similar to that for Luke Ball who turned out to be a beauty of us! Ball also needed half a season before finding his feet in our 2010 side - Levi will be a huge benefit to our mids by early next year with his injury behind him.

Great pick-up and with Adams and Crisp in the middle we have some good extractors to join up with Swan and Pendles and I expect the Pies to be one of the leading clearance teams next year.

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:54 am

Given the injury he had I thinks its a bloody miracle hes playing AFL football to this standard this year. Still building at this point.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:00 am

I see him as a genuine midfielder who will gain further form as he recovers from his injury. With the additions of Adams, Crisp and Greenwood in our midfield in the last couple of years it allows Pendles more flexibility and also allows him and Swam to drift more into the the forward zone. When fit and coordinated I think it has the ingredients of a very good and very tough midfield.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:07 am

Sort of sums up a lot of our players this year doesn't it?

Coming back from injury or youngsters breaking into our side? Unlike the top teams who have had a stable workforce!

Hopefully we get a good run next year.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:20 am

I've been surprised I haven't seen him play more in the middle, but then I think with an interrupted preseason with a broken ankle, his fitness levels are not quite there yet, so they have been playing him more behind the ball. That makes it very difficult to judge him as a player yet. There is also a matter of learning game plans with new teammates, while he is regaining fitness. What I do like about him is that he has a low centre of gravity which makes it difficult for opponents to tackle him. He also has a lovely left boot with penetrating distance. The downside to me is lack of leg speed or change of pace. That's why our midfield equation is still a puzzle to me until we combine Greenwood's attributes with other possibilities through the midfield. For instance: explosioness (Freeman), elusiveness (Scharenberg), height and endurance (Crisp).
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:40 am

He is tough and hard at it, but lacks polish.
As I have I said a lot , Bucks is developing a hard as a cats head team but it doesn't seem to have much sheen on it's coat.

MAGPIEAVENGER 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:47 am

It would be best for us to judge Greenwood in 12 months time.
From what I have seen so far he has given Pendles and Swan a chop out and also let those two roam free to be more damaging around the ground.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:47 am

Tannin wrote:

Well, if we are lucky. He's only ever had one top year in his whole career (2014 at Norf); every other season he's been below-par because of injuries.

Keep him in the side, he's doing OK. There are worse players in our 22, and Greenwood will regain touch as he goes along, you'd reckon.

Agree. The skills will improve as his fitness improves. The skills tend to fall away with fatigue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: