Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australia Post

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked as a relief postie in 1984, booting the old Honda 90 round Toc.

Their core business is no longer letters as, apart from Christmas cards, the only people sending letters are the places sending bills to old people who don't use email. Their core business is now more sending parcels, but they have some decent competition there.

So, put the price of a stamp up. $1 is still not a bad price to get a piece of folded paper hand delivered to anywhere in the country. I'm not sure if privatisation is on the agenda here, I'm not sure if there's a value proposition for someone to buy it.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:13 pm

Did you get paid for working on as a relief postie in 1984 booting the old Honda 90 Toc?
Brenny 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I worked as a relief postie in 1984, booting the old Honda 90 round Toc.

Their core business is no longer letters as, apart from Christmas cards, the only people sending letters are the places sending bills to old people who don't use email. Their core business is now more sending parcels, but they have some decent competition there.

So, put the price of a stamp up. $1 is still not a bad price to get a piece of folded paper hand delivered to anywhere in the country. I'm not sure if privatisation is on the agenda here, I'm not sure if there's a value proposition for someone to buy it.

FOXTEL charge me I think it's $2 for my bill each month and won't email it to me because I don't want it direct debited.

If I get it direct debited they will email me one and forego the $2 fee.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:30 pm

Hockey wants to Rise the Price for Everything
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:30 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I've always found it remarkable that you can stick on a stamp or two and an envelope can find it's way into a letter box on the other side of Australia or half way around the world for such a little amount of money,

I think they do a pretty good job given the amount of mail they deal with each and every day.

People bitch about everything these days.

i find it hard to reconcile that someone wants to charge you more for a lesser service than you're currently getting. food companies get away with reducing the packet size but retaining the original price. or etihad says they're providing you cheaper beer but give you smaller cups to compensate for the lower price.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Brenny, what's the bet that Foxtel, Optus and other businesses will put up their $2 paper account charge to $3 because of this.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:41 pm

I think you have to be a little realistic here, JW.

10 years ago, the postie put 4 letters in your box each day, for which Australia Post got paid $2. Today, the postie still has to go past your gate every day, and maybe three times a week he stops and puts one letter in it. Australia Posts costs are about the same as they were ten years ago, but they are only getting paid to deliver maybe one fifth as many items. In reality, $1 for a letter is friggin brilliant value!

Here, let's put it to the test. I'll send you a small item - one sheet of A4 in an envelope, let's say - via Australia Post. They will charge me $1.. Now, you sign it and send it back to me, but using a private competitor, not the post office. DHL or Toll Transport, whoever you can get the best price from. What's it going to cost you? Somewhere between $5 and $20.

Now tell me $1 is too much again.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:55 pm

i take your point tannin but, gee whiz, the age of entitlement has not ended in my world.

my sister gets on a plane from melbourne to canberra to have some documents signed and gets on the next flight to melbourne. all in an afternoon.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:58 pm

For $1? I don't suppose she gets a window seat at that price. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: