Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

PM's Border Force

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Data is a real inspiration.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:59 pm

David: do you agree with me that Shorten has absolutely no capacity to lead the debate on issues of civil liberties

Oh, of course. That has been plain since long before he even became leader. Modern Labor has been very poor on these issues for many, many years. You can go right back to Beazley (in other respects a very fine man and the best Prime Minister we never had since Bill Haydon) who has always been an all the way with LBJ man. Go a bit further back and I think it's not unreasonable to ascribe a lot of that to fear on their part, fear of a repeat of the (as some of them believe) disgraceful US involvement in the Whitlam dismissal. I don't really buy the line that "the CIA sabotaged Whitlam the same way they did Allende" - I'm no expert there but I have always assumed that there was more paranoia than truth to it - but that doesn't mean I don't recognise that primal fear of the secret intelligence services' power isn't deep in Labor's DNA. Labor has worked very, very hard to appease the Yanks and the spymasters ever since that time.

More recently, we saw terrible anti-democratic policies supported and enacted by the Rudd/Gillard government - draconian Internet censorship under Conroy is an example, spineless Yankee-crawling over the Wikileaks disclosures another.

Only a few Labor MPs - maybe one-third, perhaps as many as half on a good day - have half-decent credentials on these matters.

who knows whether Shorten intends to roll back, stop or increase the 'fascist policies'? Data retention certainly isn't going anywhere, I wouldn't imagine, and he's already backed the citizenship bill. If they think it's necessary to keep up with the blackshirts while in opposition, who's to say they won't follow the same principle in government?

Nothing, of course. Why would anybody think they'll be any better than they were under Beazley, Rudd or Gillard? But they nevertheless be vastly, repeat vastly less worse than the fair-dinkim fascists currently in power. Some of the worst Abbott-Brandis policies will have the rough edges taken off them; the ministerial direction of these policies will be milder and more open; and any number of new, as-yet unthought of horrors will die stillborn.

Abbott did not win the last election on 'national security', by the way.

Yes he did. His "stop the boats" campaign was a huge part of his success, one of the three or four major planks in his victory. Howard went to every election on a "national security" platform. His most famous and spectacular success with it was the infamous "children overboard" scam which blindsided Beazley, but it was a big, big part of Howard's continued success over the years. (You were a bit young to remember, so I'll cut you some slack there.)

Both are cynically exploiting fear and ignorance, and both are willing to throw Australian citizens' civil liberties under the bus in order to win an election. How are Shorten's tactics any more defensible?

He has no choice. None. He must stick to his current play-dead policy. The only alternative is the horror of a second Abbott term. You really, really need to get a sense of perspective here. Sure, you'd like a sensible, progressive government. So would I. But we are not going to get it. That's a fact. Deal with it. Learn to face reality. Labor's policies in this area are bad, that's a given, but the Liberal policies are far, far worse.

There is one bright spot here: both Liberal and Labor are on the nose and on the slide. The days of a two-party state are numbered. The Greens in particular are picking up more and more support and are very close now to being a major party in their own right - look at the polls! Liberal and Labor planners are recognising this now and starting to adjust to it (a few years late, but everything takes time) by redirecting resources away from inner-city seats with lots of educated people to the outer suburban and regional seats. They are starting to admit that they can't keep on pouring vast proportions of their limited campaign resources into vain attempts to hold places like Brunswick and Hawthorn, and shifting back to battling with each other in the outer seats where the Greens can't win. (Yet.) There was a very interesting article in (I think) the Guardian on this the other day.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:38 pm

David wrote:
Shorten had a chance to do that on Friday morning, and he squibbed it. He was prepared to rubber-stamp the stop-and-search exercise, just as his party have already rubber-stamped a number of other attacks on the Australian way of life. Those laws will still be in place when Shorten takes office in a year's time. What indication is there that he will overturn them? What reason do we have to believe that he won't drag Labor's 'me-tooism' into government and run a 'national security' campaign of his own?

Shorten (as far as I'm aware) wasn't briefed about the operation and didn't know how to respond (or what the implications were) when he heard and was asked about it.
Rubber stamped attacks to the Australian way of life?
What "Australian way of life" are you talking about and who is it that is doing the attacking?
Hint, it isn't Bill Shorten.
Who's to say he won't over-turn these draconian practices?
No-one, you'll just have to trust that the ALP doesn't have to same dystopian "dollar is king" vision that big business and their stooges the LNP are thrusting on us because believe it not Labour does have principles*

I was down in Melbourne this week end and met a few people that would never consider calling themselves hipsters* who all seemed to share your idea that Shorten is the devil incarnate and a far worse fate that Abbott awaits the country if he ever becomes P.M.
I asked why and got told he did this, he didn't do that, Julia Gillard is a saint/sinner depending on who was talking blah blah blah...
On the drive home I let my mind wonder about I'd heard (and correct me if I'm wrong) but Shorten's cardinal sin seemed to be the knifing of Julia Gillard.
They seemed to imply that if he hadn't done this, Gillard would have won the election and the Green's would still be sharing power with the ALP left wing.
Is that the real reason you (and the people I met at this party) whoop and holler about civil liberties but have no problem with the LNP putting the good name of Royal Commission's to the sword in a crude attempt to discredit the LNP's enemies?
(Abbott said just a few days ago, "this Commission must go ahead to shine a light on corruption in the Labour Party"<end quote.)
That to me is every bit as Stalinist as sending Border Police onto the streets to randomly check peoples VISA details and yet they (and you) almost applaud it.
Sorry for ragging on you a few weeks ago David but do you not see the hypocrisy at work here and is this obsession with removing Shorten "at all costs"** just a case of "sour grapes"?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:17 pm

3.14159 wrote:
On the drive home I let my mind wonder about I'd heard (and correct me if I'm wrong) but Shorten's cardinal sin seemed to be the knifing of Julia Gillard.
They seemed to imply that if he hadn't done this, Gillard would have won the election and the Green's would still be sharing power with the ALP left wing.
Is that the real reason you (and the people I met at this party) whoop and holler about civil liberties but have no problem with the LNP putting the good name of Royal Commission's to the sword in a crude attempt to discredit the LNP's enemies?

I can't speak for my fellow non-hipsters, but I don't know anyone who thinks that Gillard could have won the last election. That's very wishful thinking on their part, if indeed that's what they were trying to imply.

That's not to say that Shorten should be excused for his substantial role in the Rudd-Gillard-Rudd debacle. The long-term damage it has caused the party's reputation can't be understated. Do I care? Perhaps not as much as I should.

For all the problems with the Royal Commission, I don't think you can possibly put it in the same category as Abbott's 'national security' laws. The latter fundamentally change the nature of Australian society; the former is essentially a glorified dirt-finding exercise, of the kind that both parties employ on a regular basis and candidates in preselection campaigns use against each other. It's not particularly edifying, but it's hardly in the same category as threatening to prosecute healthcare professionals for disclosing child abuse (just one law that Labor waved through).

If you want to measure the extent of your principled opposition to the RC, switch the parties around. Would you be against a Royal Commission into the corruption and human rights abuses of the Abbott government? Because I'm all for it.

As for Shorten, it's not hard to understand why I and many left-wingers can't stand him. It's the helplessness of knowing that the absolute best case scenario is that he will be PM. It's like being given the cold, stale, unsalted potato cake at the fish and chips shop as a replacement for the maggot-ridden dim sim. I think I'd prefer to have my money back, thanks.

Last edited by David on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:51 pm

Without the years-long treachery of Rudd, she would have stood a very good chance indeed.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:54 pm

There's no way Gillard would have won the 2013 election had she remained as Prime Minister. The opinion polls were all saying this so it's naive to think that she would have miraculously beaten Abbott in the election. The only chance she had of a victory was Abbott slipping up and self-destructing otherwise she never really stood a chance.

Of course to be fair to Gillard she never really stood a chance from the very beginning of her tenure as Prime Minister in 2010 because Rudd was destabilising the government and doing everything in his power to undermine and accumulate numbers within the Labor Party to challenge her for the leadership so we never really got to see whether Gillard was a truly capable leader or not.

The opinion polls the week before Gillard was defeated in a leadership spill to Rudd suggest the following on a two party preferred basis:

Essential - Labor 45%, Liberal/Nationals 55%
Morgan (multi) - Labor 43.5%, Liberal/Nationals 56.5%
Newspoll - Labor 43%, Liberal/Nationals 57%

After Rudd became Prime Minister the polls improved for Labor inevitably. Rudd was more popular amongst people but I thought Gillard was the more capable leader and Rudd was just an egomaniac who craved the power but had no substance to being a good and competent leader of the country.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:46 am

Mark Latham got it in one when, very early on, he said "the only people who like or respect Rudd are the ones who haven't met him".
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:00 am

David wrote:

For all the problems with the Royal Commission, I don't think you can possibly put it in the same category as Abbott's 'national security' laws.
The latter fundamentally change the nature of Australian society; the former is essentially a glorified dirt-finding exercise, of the kind that both parties employ on a regular basis and candidates in preselection campaigns use against each other.

I disagree, putting your political opponents on trial with-out charges is what people like Stalin Hitler did to shore up their hold over the people.
If you can't see that I pity you!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:07 am

^ Maybe. But what did it all come to, in the end? A couple of days of Shorten in the witness box answering questions about some mildly dodgy union activities. It was a bit of a flogging with a lettuce leaf. If Abbott was hoping to do an Aung Suu Kyi on the opposition leader, he certainly didn't do a great job at it.

These laws, on the other hand, aren't going anywhere. Shall we recap what statutes the government (with Labor's help) will have passed by this time in 2016?

1. Mandatory data retention for all Australians.
2. Criminalisation for people reporting on mistreatment of refugees.
3. Arbitrary removal of citizenship for dual nationals.
4. Removal of accountability mechanisms for ASIO and the ABF blackshirts.
5. Criminalisation of journalists and whistleblowers reporting on any 'national security' topics.
6. Criminalisation of autonomously participating in the fight against ISIS overseas.

burton 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:43 am

What I didn't like about this was that everyone even the local government supported the police operation part of it. Those opposed only seemed to care when it became people being targeted for their race.

It was said they would question anyone if they thought there was a warrant outstanding for them. Which means you didn't even have to be doing anything anti-social. This is wrong and I know myself as a person who is quite disfigured (I am osteoporotic all over). I have had police approach me before asking for my ID because 'I looked like a drug runner they know of'.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:41 pm

Without wanting to belittle 3's point about the witch hunt circus this RC has been (for that is a serious matter), David speaks truly when he writes:

David wrote:
These laws, on the other hand, aren't going anywhere. Shall we recap what statutes the government (with Labor's help) will have passed by this time in 2016?

5. Criminalisation of journalists and whistleblowers reporting on any 'national security' topics.

These are truly terrifying laws, without precedent in a nation which used to pride itself on democratic freedoms and protection of all citizens from the arbitrary use of coercive government powers in secret, without appeal or oversight. The time has come to stop making jokes about Abbott and the Nazis: these laws are exactly the sort of laws Hitler introduced, and we all know how that ended up.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Tannin wrote:
Without wanting to belittle 3's point about the witch hunt circus this RC has been (for that is a serious matter), David speaks truly when he writes:

David wrote:

These are truly terrifying laws, without precedent in a nation which used to pride itself on democratic freedoms and protection of all citizens from the arbitrary use of coercive government powers in secret, without appeal or oversight. The time has come to stop making jokes about Abbott and the Nazis: these laws are exactly the sort of laws Hitler introduced, and we all know how that ended up.

I agree that all the things David mentioned are serious attacks on freedom they are not being put out there by Labor or Bill Shorten.
Yes Labor has rubber-stamped some of it but that (imo) is a tactic designed to with-draw the oxygen from the LNP's migrant scare campaine(?) and put itself in a position that it can win the next election get this country back under the control of a party that actually cares about the environment and wants to debate the direction this country should take into the future.
The Australian way of life you mentioned a few pages back is under attack by a nutter that wants to turn this country into a place of rich landlords farming the poor and destroying the environment into the bargain.
At the moment all we have policy by announcement, disposable promises and guarantees that amount to little more than...
"don't question we tell you, just trust us, we know what's best for you".
The LNP is the problem, not Bill Shorten.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:43 pm

Bring on SS Uniforms. Just like the old days.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:15 am

Discussion on the royal commission has been moved back into the relevant thread:

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=73189

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:31 am

Excellent!

Well, what do you say, gentlemen? In the finest traditions of Nick's Collingwood Bulletin board, shall we all adjourn over to the Union Royal Commission thread and chat about ... oh ... let's say the Border Farce?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: