Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Resist the urge to trade Oxley in Aish trade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:02 pm
Post subject: Resist the urge to trade Oxley in Aish tradeReply with quote

Adam Oxley has been an under appreciated find this year. I would strongly urge and ask "fellow Nicksters" to not encourage any such trading of him. Why am I strong on this you may ask??

Well Adam has some rare attributes not prevalent in our team both current or historical. He is 193 cm, an exceptional kick, athletic and versatile. He has shown he can go forward and kick a goal whilst being an excellent third man up in defence amidst additionally being comfortable on a wing.

Malthouse and Bucks aren't very known for their flair for throwing players around the ground. If Oxley was to add 6 kgs he may be that Gunston type we are lacking on our list. His games against the Crows in round 2 and the Dees mid year were standouts, plus the Eagles match also a highlight.

Yes he has fatigued and now coming back via the reserves (B.O.G on the weekend), however if Aish is for the taking I believe the Lions whom have been left bereft of talent in recent times would accept:

Our second round pick + Seedsman. And if they really want to crunch us in retaliation to the Beams deal we could offer EITHER Blair OR Fasolo with the return of a 3rd round draft pick our way.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree - Oxley be a Big Loss as he is an Elite Kick of the Ball.

I would Only Do That Trade IF he asked to go home.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:11 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Agree - Oxley be a Big Loss as he is an Elite Kick of the Ball.

I would Only Do That Trade IF he asked to go home.

Cheers Dave. To be a successful trading club, it's important we trade out players surplus to our requirements NOT rarities with a point of difference.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:16 pm

Oxley ain't going anywhere.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:24 pm

I'll give you some counter arguments:

- he's very light, and easily pushed off the ball.
- he's slow
- his kicking is not elite. Although he has a powerful leg, his ball drop is pretty bad, and takes a long time to get ball to boot.

His strength is his marking, no doubt about that.

I'm more a fan of Seedy, and can't understand why there is no love for him on this board. He's got loads of talent, however needs to improve his contested ball work. I'd be pretty disappointed if Seedy gets traded...I think he deserves 1 more year to prove himself.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:38 pm

Oxley will play 150 games for Collingwood. Back that in. He'll feature in at least two premierships. Back that in too.

Contrary to Bally's points, he's light because he's young and had a succession of injury-interrupted pre-seasons. He'll never be shaped like Blair or Brown, but he'll add core strength over the next couple of years - and with his ability to mark the pill, that will make him a fantastic wingman or utility.

He's certainly not slow. Like many taller players, he takes a little while to get up to speed, but at full tilt he's as quick as anyone. His mobility will become a weapon when he reaches peak fitness.

He has a beautiful long boot, no doubt about that, but he needs to work on his short kicking and his handball. Good handball under pressure is a skill that players learn with experience and drill. Kicking is more difficult to pick up.

Summary: I wouldn't trade Oxley for anything less than massive overs, and I do mean massive overs. If you really want to trade him, wait a couple of years and then you can ask for and get a first-round pick. Not that you would. This kid is a big part of our future.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Oxley's not that unique. We have a number of similar types in Seedsman, Maynard, Scharenberg, Young and a little more broadly similar in Marsh, Toovey, Goldsack. Plenty of these taller running types now (more 190+ players than anyone else this year)

I'm not saying we trade him and doubt he'd have much currency, but he is a Queenslander I think.

More likely that the Lions will be after a first round pick for Aish.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:00 pm

Seedsman: not as good in the air, not as good one-on-one, seems to have reached his peak already.
Maynard: different sort of player. More a traditional defender, more of an inside player, not as good in the air. Good player, just different.
Scharenberg: the most similar of those you list. hard to say what role he will play longer-term.
Young: finished.
Marsh: lacks Oxley's class. Amazing pace. Could be anything.
Toovey: lacks Oxley's class, makes up for it with man-on-man toughness and pace. Or used to. Not been the same since his ACL, but could rebound next year - it can take a long, long time to get over a knee. Still a poor kick though.
Goldsack: tougher, stronger, lacks class, Mr Fumbles on a good day, don't even ask about the bad days.

Summary: Scharenberg is the only close match. We should keep them both.

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:02 pm

We need more class in our midfield. Oxley is not in the same class as Aish.
Easy decision

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:08 pm

Tannin wrote:
Seedsman: not as good in the air, not as good one-on-one, seems to have reached his peak already.
Maynard: different sort of player. More a traditional defender, more of an inside player, not as good in the air. Good player, just different.
Scharenberg: the most similar of those you list. hard to say what role he will play longer-term.
Toovey: lacks Oxley's class, makes up for it with man-on-man toughness and pace. Or used to. Not been the same since his ACL, but could rebound next year - it can take a long, long time to get over a knee. Still a poor kick though.
Goldsack: tougher, stronger, lacks class, Mr Fumbles on a good day, don't even ask about the bad days.

Agree with most of that, though I definitely don't think Seedsman has reached his peak and he is a better runner and user than Oxley. Maynard, again, probably a better user but not as good in the air or as tall (though Oxley is 190cm and Maynard 186).

Langdon's another. And while I agree that Scharanberg's the only real match, we have a lot of tallish back half runners on the list at the moment.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:16 pm

Seedsman is a bit of a mystery, isn't he. You'd trade the Seedsman we saw most of this year for a third round pick and think yourself lucky to get it. And you wouldn't trade the Seedsman who ran out on Anzac Day for two first rounders. Who knows what to think?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:52 pm

Tannin wrote:

Maynard is a good Mark

E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:57 pm
Post subject: Re: Resist the urge to trade Oxley in Aish tradeReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Adam Oxley has been an under appreciated find this year. I would strongly urge and ask "fellow Nicksters" to not encourage any such trading of him. Why am I strong on this you may ask??

Well Adam has some rare attributes not prevalent in our team both current or historical. He is 193 cm, an exceptional kick, athletic and versatile. He has shown he can go forward and kick a goal whilst being an excellent third man up in defence amidst additionally being comfortable on a wing.

Malthouse and Bucks aren't very known for their flair for throwing players around the ground. If Oxley was to add 6 kgs he may be that Gunston type we are lacking on our list. His games against the Crows in round 2 and the Dees mid year were standouts, plus the Eagles match also a highlight.

Yes he has fatigued and now coming back via the reserves (B.O.G on the weekend), however if Aish is for the taking I believe the Lions whom have been left bereft of talent in recent times would accept:

Our second round pick + Seedsman. And if they really want to crunch us in retaliation to the Beams deal we could offer EITHER Blair OR Fasolo with the return of a 3rd round draft pick our way.

Oxley is a poor man's Scharenberg. a nice solid player (who will likely be the subject of a "we wont win a flag until..." post once Blair and Toovey are gone). Aish could be an elite 250 game star of the comp.

melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 am

I'd be keeping Oxely.

Seed's not so fussed. His kicking looks good but misses targets to often. Has potential but not sure if he'll advance to the level you'd want.

Oxely has more upside.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 am

Oxley is unique. The combination of a penetrating, powerful, arrow kick combined with elite reading of the ball in flight and the ability to take one grab marks whilst being smashed in a pack is something we don't have much of. He sees the game much quicker than most on our list. He has a stick thin torso and legs at this stage. Nothing that condtioning can't fix in two years. Anyone remember Kenny Hunter? Oxley has similar attributes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: