Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Mad Monks $52 mil f*ckup, failed asylum seeker policy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:23 pm
Post subject: The Mad Monks $52 mil f*ckup, failed asylum seeker policyReply with quote

Cambodia deal in tatters after only four Nauru refugees resettled at cost of $13m each

Cambodia says thanks for funding.

Just when you thought this shambles of a government couldn't f*ck-up any more they do.

This time Scott Morrison & the incompetent Peter Dutton must take responsibility for the calamity costing tax payers gazillions. Oh the Mad Misogynist Monk, what a mess.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/31/cambodia-has-no-plans-to-take-more-nauru-refugees-in-55m-australia-deal

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The really sad thing is that this means that the majority of our unresettled refugees are stuck in limbo. Cambodia don't want them; PNG don't want them. It's unsafe for many or them to return home. What's going to happen to them?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:41 pm

David wrote:
The really sad thing is that this means that the majority of our unresettled refugees are stuck in limbo. Cambodia don't want them; PNG don't want them. It's unsafe for many or them to return home. What's going to happen to them?
The really really sad thing David is most Australian's don't give a ****. About the refugees that is.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:43 pm

David wrote:

North shore of Sydney looks pretty good.

Mind you, where do any of refugees / asylum seekers go. It's sad & appalling in one.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:26 pm

David wrote:

It is horrible, and tragic, but as events in Europe this week again proved, people smuggling has to be stopped. The weekly drownings in the Mediterranean, the lorries with 70 suffocated people inside them, abandoned by Bulgarian organised crime. These are the wages of our current asylum policies. The only way I can see it being stopped, short of completely open borders, is for the wealthier nations to refuse to take people who arrive unauthorised. We may quibble about the methods, but it seems to me that the government has this broadly right, and Europe will probably eventually have to adopt a similar solution, if it can.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:11 pm

If the ethical benefits of stopping people smuggling - if that were even possible - are so much greater than allowing people to risk their lives at sea, then wouldn't the few refugees with the resources for a boat trip make that calculation themselves and stay home? The fact that so many don't would seem to suggest that there are, in fact, some things worse than risking death at sea.

Sometimes, 'cruel to be kind' turns out to be not so kind after all.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:28 pm

David wrote:
If the ethical benefits of stopping people smuggling - if that were even possible - are so much greater than allowing people to risk their lives at sea, then wouldn't the few refugees with the resources for a boat trip make that calculation themselves and stay home? The fact that so many don't would seem to suggest that there are, in fact, some things worse than risking death at sea.

Using that logic, it is surely far better to be safe on Manus Island than back in the original locaition or at sea in a leaky boat. I don;t know the precise stats, but I'm almost certain that for every death vastly more get through. The dream of a better life will accept those odds, because it wont happen to you. The rational markets hypothesis works in favour of the people smugglers because we indirectly aid them.

Sometimes being kind turns out to be feeling virtuous about individual cases while remaining detached from the 1-in-x consequences.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:41 pm

[u]
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

Using that logic, it is surely far better to be safe on Manus Island than back in the original locaition or at sea in a leaky boat. I don;t know the precise stats, but I'm almost certain that for every death vastly more get through. The dream of a better life will accept those odds, because it wont happen to you. The rational markets hypothesis works in favour of the people smugglers because we indirectly aid them.

Sometimes being kind turns out to be feeling virtuous about individual cases while remaining detached from the 1-in-x consequences.

Step right up, step right up: have I got a deal for you: Only 54 million so far for 4 people:

Tony Abbott and other senior Australian ministers have defended a $55m refugee resettlement deal with Cambodia after a spokesman for Cambodias government said it had no plans to take any more than the four refugees it has already accepted.

Four refugees an Iranian couple, an Iranian man and a Rohingyan man from Burma were transferred from Nauru to the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh in June. They live in relative luxury in an Australian-funded villa, and will remain there indefinitely...

From the Guardian online

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:45 pm

Is this a math question?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: