Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the bigger tragedy?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Murder as an individual deliberately taking a life for personal reasons so they're placing the value of that human life as less than their personal wants.

I'm not saying a human life has no value. It has a value, but the value is relative. My life is worth more than your want to take my wallet or car, no matter how hungry you are or how much you want drugs.

In that trolly car hypothetical as you put it, my life is worth less to you than your partner and child so if you had to make that choice I wouldn't be happy about it but I'd do the same thing if it was your kids life in the balance against one of mine.

Lady Justice wears a blindfold for objectivity and holds scales to weigh the evidence. You can also argue that more than the base evidence is weighed and balanced.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:59 am

stui magpie wrote:
For mine, everyone is going to die, it's just a matter of when. So no death is a tragedy except to those close to that person who have lost something tangible.

So that horrible father Robert Farquharson driving his kids into a dam wasn't tragic? Or that other horrible father Freeman tossing his daughter over the westgate? I wasn't close to either of them but felt both were tragedies, among others, they're just the 2 that came to mind.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm

Not Tragic, at last not to me.

Sad, yes.
Upsetting yes

55 million people die each year. just under 2 people die per second, so at least 5 people have died in the time it took you to read this post. of the over 100 people who will die in the next minute, how many of those are tragedies to anyone except their immediate family and/or friends?

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:21 pm

Yeah, fair point, maybe the tragic part of someone dying like my examples is to seeing kind of people we have walking around, more the thought of 'who could something like that'. Not sure, but I think they're tragic, for whatever reason.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:30 pm

Yeah, I get you. I feel similar, it's more like confusion at trying to understand how someone could do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: