Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The NLP is responsible for gross economic mismanagement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

pietillidie wrote:
.... In my view, idiot is as idiot does, and Abbott does idiot far better than most. ....

Cracked me up this morning. Laughing Laughing Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Tannin wrote:
A poor intellect, Wokko, no question of that. He simply isn't very bright. He does, however, have the determination to work hard. Good grades have a lot more to do with hard work than they do with intelligence.

I think that's a pretty fair summation.

I just wish he'd apply the same level of dedication to being prime minister (as opposed to being a politician).

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Surely an F in economics to go along with the Fs in science, technology and international relations. I know some folks find it hard to understand that a handful of drab, inconsequential articles for The Bulletin don't somehow augur better than 0.2% economic growth, but, err, let's just hope you don't work in HR...

On the unqualified moron's failed economy the SMH wrote:
Economic growth close to zero as living standards slip

A sharp fall in national income has all but obliterated economic growth, pushing down income per head by the most since the global financial crisis and delivering headline growth of just 0.2 per cent.

The fact is that the economic growth we had in the last quarter was in line with expectations. Of course it bounces around from quarter to quarter but it was in line with our overarching expectation.

The best measure of living standards, real net national disposable income per head, slid 1.2 per cent in the three months to June, the biggest slide since the global financial crisis and the 1990s and early 1980s recessions and the mid 1970s oil crisis.

It's the fifth consecutive slide in real net disposable income per head. It is now 5 per cent below its peak at the height of the mining boom in 2011.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/economic-growth-close-to-zero-as-living-standards-slip-20150902-gjdi0t.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:06 pm

pietillidie wrote:
On the unqualified moron's failed economy

Is it really fair or accurate to personalise these failings? Surely this ineptitude has been a team effort. Hockey, Cormann, Pyne, Turnbull, Morrison and co. deserve their fair share of the credit.

That becomes a lot bigger problem than one person's lack of qualifications - it's more like a collective hysteria.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:10 pm

David changed his entry, what can I say?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:38 pm

David wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Is it really fair or accurate to personalise these failings? Surely this ineptitude has been a team effort. Hockey, Cormann, Pyne, Turnbull, Morrison and co. deserve their fair share of the credit.

That becomes a lot bigger problem than one person's lack of qualifications - it's more like a collective hysteria.

The economy is not the emanation of one person or one government. What we have today is the result of twenty years of policy, and a worldwide shift in patterns of demand for what Australia produces. Loathing of Abbott may be justified on many grounds, and David's distinction between him being a politician not a PM sums it up very well. Today's Australian economy, which is not too bad by world standards, is not the "fault" of Abbott & Co.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Interesting comment, Shorten is a lawyer as is/was Gillard whereas Abbott actually studied Economics. Confused

^ Wrong.

Where do you get this rubbish from? Make it up? Oh, no, you are a Herald-Sn reader. I forgot. You don't have to make it up, the Herald-Sun makes it up for you.

In fact, Abbott studied law.

Both Abbott and Shorten studied arts and law. Their degrees are pretty much identical. Shorten, however, wasn't gifted with a dodgy Rhodes Scholarship award (handed out to Abbott despite his conspicuous lack of intelligence or excellence by the very same wealthy lawyer who Abbott later gifted with the union-bashing royal commission job). Shorten got a real job and worked. We all know what the Mad Monk did.

But although both have graduated in law, neither one is really a lawyer. Of the three you mention, only Gillard is actually a proper lawyer.

Pays to check your facts, Stui.

I did.

Quote:
Abbott was born in London, United Kingdom, to an Australian mother and a British father, and emigrated to Sydney with his parents in 1960. Prior to entering parliament, he studied for a Bachelor of Economics and a Bachelor of Laws at the University of Sydney, and then a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy, politics and economics as a Rhodes Scholar at The Queen's College, Oxford. He was later conferred with a Master of Arts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Abbott

Shorten practised as a lawyer, Abbott didn't, Shorten is a lawyer, Abbott wasn't.

Pays to check your facts Tannin. Wink

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:05 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

The economy is not the emanation of one person or one government. What we have today is the result of twenty years of policy, and a worldwide shift in patterns of demand for what Australia produces. Loathing of Abbott may be justified on many grounds (David's distinction between him being a politician not a PM sums it up very well)... but today's Australian economy (which is still not too bad by world standards) is not the "fault" of Abbott & Co.

Thanks, Captains Obvious. Viewers would be lost without your subtitles!

Twithead has made every possible error in the book that could be made under highly-predictable cyclical conditions and global developments. That's his failed economy, and it's a debacle both in the secular long-term, and cyclical short-term. Not the uncontrollable, but the predictable. Keating the treasurer implemented the reforms Howard the treasurer was too cowardly to make. Who was a waste of space as a treasurer?

This is Twithead's economy in every way without invoking predestination, which we will save for the philosophy thread for the moment.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:24 pm

Wrong again, Stui. You should try reading your own reference.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:33 pm

I did read it, please feel free to enlighten me as to how getting a bachelor of economics isn't studying economics and never practicing as a lawyer makes him a lawyer?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:43 pm

Read it, Stui. The bit where it states that he has a law degree. "Law degree", you don't think that is a bit of a hint?

Mate, you are hopeless. It's right there in black and white.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:15 pm

Which part of he never practiced as a lawyer do you not get? Which part of he has a degree in economics don't you get? He may have studied law but he isn't and never was a lawyer which was the point of my post.

For reference this is what I posted.

stui magpie wrote:
Interesting comment, Shorten is a lawyer as is/was Gillard whereas Abbott actually studied Economics. Confused

Which part of that is factually incorrect?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:50 pm

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Parliamentarian?MPID=EZ5

Quote:
Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
BEc, LLB (Syd), MA (Oxon).
Rhodes Scholar.
Journalist.
Plant Manager, Pioneer Concrete.
Press secretary and political adviser to the Leader of the Opposition, Dr JR Hewson 1990-93.
Executive Director, Australians for Constitutional Monarchy 1993-94.

Abbott has a law degree but never practised as a lawyer after finishing university! That should settle the argument now.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:05 pm

^ Exactly as I said n the first place. You have to wonder about Stui sometimes.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:50 pm

^

Wonder why I'm right?

Quote:
Shorten was born in Melbourne, where his father, William Robert Shortenfrom Tyneside, Englandwas a waterside worker and union official. His mother, Ann Shorten (ne McGrath) was a lawyer and university academic of Irish descent.[2][3] He was educated at Xavier College and Monash University, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1989 and Bachelor of Laws in 1992. He also gained a Master of Business Administration from Melbourne Business School at the University of Melbourne in 2001.[4][5]

Shorten became active in the Labor Party while still a student, working part-time for federal Labor Minister Gareth Evans and state Labor Minister Neil Pope. He also worked for Bill Landeryou, Minister and later Leader of the Government in the Victorian Legislative Council during the Kirner Labor Government. After graduating, he worked for 18 months as a lawyer for Maurice Blackburn Cashman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Shorten

Shorten, like Gillard actually practised as a lawyer. That would make him..........ummmmm a Lawyer? Which is what I said in the first place.

Abbott may have the qualifications to be a lawyer but never practised as one so he isn't and never was a lawyer but he did study economics as part of his overall qualification which again is exactly what i originally said.

So every part of what I said is factually correct. Check facts people before claiming others are wrong. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: