Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2015 Season in Review:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
David wrote:
Good effort, but giving Blair 3/10 is a joke. Has arguably been in our top 10 this year. Honestly don't know what games some of you are watching.

Blair has certainly earned his spot this season, which is perhaps why we are 12th on the ladder. Until Blair is squeezed out, it will mean we are not a top team. Just ask yourself, would Blair get a game at Hawthorn, Eagles, Sydney or Freo?

All right I have had enough.
What is the point on playing the hobbit when we are rebuilding
and have a lot of young players begging for a game.
What does he bring that will either win us games or help bring the young ones
on?
I and many others are just flabbergasted as to why he gets a gig.
He doesn't kick goals, he is slow, he is never front or square, he is never
pointing or helping younger players to get to position.
ALL I get is he plays "the role" what ever the hell that is!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:59 pm

thompsoc wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
David wrote:
Good effort, but giving Blair 3/10 is a joke. Has arguably been in our top 10 this year. Honestly don't know what games some of you are watching.

Blair has certainly earned his spot this season, which is perhaps why we are 12th on the ladder. Until Blair is squeezed out, it will mean we are not a top team. Just ask yourself, would Blair get a game at Hawthorn, Eagles, Sydney or Freo?

All right I have had enough.
What is the point on playing the hobbit when we are rebuilding
and have a lot of young players begging for a game.
What does he bring that will either win us games or help bring the young ones
on?
I and many others are just flabbergasted as to why he gets a gig.
He doesn't kick goals, he is slow, he is never front or square, he is never
pointing or helping younger players to get to position.
ALL I get is he plays "the role" what ever the hell that is!

Which small forward from the VFL do you suggest Blair has been keeping out of the side? Who has Bucks been refusing to play? This year Bucks has played loads of new players, such as Moore, De Goey, Oxley, Maynard, Scharenberg, Ramsay, Marsh and Gault. The fact is that only Kennedy has the potential to play a similar role to Blair, and he has had several tries and been found wanting. I'm all for replacing Blair, but only when we have someone good enough to squeeze him out. Broomhead will probably play as the small forward next year. So criticise Blair for his limitations, but let's not pretend that Bucks has been holding back his replacement.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Blair's first 7-8 games were fair but his "ceiling" was hit 3 years ago.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:48 am

I get that some people think Blair's only an average player skill-wise, but some of the blind hatred directed at him is completely ridiculous.

Pretty much every single Collingwood game I watch, I notice him laying a strong tackle or cleverly tapping a ball to his teammate's advantage, which is a lot more than I can say for at least half of the team on a given day. Perhaps some fans are just too one-eyed to see the one-percenters.

Again, you can have your own opinion of him and what he brings to the side, but to give him a lower season rating than Sam Dwyer or Tyson Goldsack (both of whom I love but have barely been sighted in the seniors this season) is just nuts.

Also, fair enough (if a little harsh) to give Tony Armstrong 1/10 based on his one senior appearance, but if you're going to give Cox, Manteit, Abbott et al good ratings just for VFL showings, shouldn't you also recognise Armstrong's consistently good performances at that level?

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:22 am

^ it will be interesting to see where he places in the Copeland, it's a very good indicator as to how the club see him in terms of how well he plays his role. I suspect it may well be higher than the expected, much like Heritier last season. Not that he'll finish 5th, but quite a few had written H off on many occasions last year, and the year before, and before, and before....

... Kind of like Blair

Robbie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:09 am
Post subject: Harvey passed on his Kicking SkillsReply with quote

I have found it very worrying that the 2IC for Bucks, Harvey, has not been considered by any other Club looking for a new Coach. Mind you I am not surprised because his game style ensured he received plenty of the football with little impact and couldn't kick. Sound familiar! Today's football requires elite kicking skills and Harvey wouldn't know how to train anybody to achieve something he never valued. Their are a number of assistant coaches available that would lift their value in helping a talented young group become a team with great disposal by hand and foot. Bucks is not the right person to train players to kick because he was a great kick when still a Kid and wouldn't believe somebody not understanding how it's done. On the bright side, imagine the improvement gained by fixing just that one skill for 2016.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:27 am

Dual brownlow medalist, had more kicks than handballs and went at a disposal efficiency somewhere around 80%. Unless you're in the club then you would have no idea how good a coach or not he is. Never have understood the bagging of assistant coaches, we the fans simply have NFI how good or not they are.

Some of the best coaches weren't even good players at all, it just doesn't correlate one way or the other.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:40 am

David wrote:
I get that some people think Blair's only an average player skill-wise, but some of the blind hatred directed at him is completely ridiculous.

Pretty much every single Collingwood game I watch, I notice him laying a strong tackle or cleverly tapping a ball to his teammate's advantage, which is a lot more than I can say for at least half of the team on a given day. Perhaps some fans are just too one-eyed to see the one-percenters.

Again, you can have your own opinion of him and what he brings to the side, but to give him a lower season rating than Sam Dwyer or Tyson Goldsack (both of whom I love but have barely been sighted in the seniors this season) is just nuts.

Also, fair enough (if a little harsh) to give Tony Armstrong 1/10 based on his one senior appearance, but if you're going to give Cox, Manteit, Abbott et al good ratings just for VFL showings, shouldn't you also recognise Armstrong's consistently good performances at that level?

Cox, Manteit and Abbott didn't play any senior matches whereas Armstrong has and as such Armstrong is measured against his Seniors output (lack of).

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:47 am

inxs88 wrote:

Not actually accurate I don't think as I'm pretty sure he's having his best season since 2011. And furthermore, not relevant when there isn't a player offering more as a replacement. Until that player emerges, Blair will continue to get senior games. I don't see what's so difficult to grasp in that.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:42 am

inxs88 wrote:
Cox, Manteit and Abbott didn't play any senior matches whereas Armstrong has and as such Armstrong is measured against his Seniors output (lack of).

I understand your reasoning, but it just seems a bit odd given that the mere fact of making the senior team is a fair achievement in its own right and generally suggests that you're doing better than those who haven't. One way of getting around that might be to have AFL ratings and then VFL ratings in a separate category.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:54 pm

jackcass wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Not actually accurate I don't think as I'm pretty sure he's having his best season since 2011. And furthermore, not relevant when there isn't a player offering more as a replacement. Until that player emerges, Blair will continue to get senior games. I don't see what's so difficult to grasp in that.

Not like you to take the contrary view Jackcass. Comparisons are all relative and to compare Jarryd to 2011 (the same year he got 3 possessions in a Grand Final, I think) is a lame reference point.

I think Dennis Commetti summed up Blair's output recently by calling him a "poor mans Puopolo". The quicker Blair is measured against top 8 small forwards and not himself the better we shall be.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:55 pm

David wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

I understand your reasoning, but it just seems a bit odd given that the mere fact of making the senior team is a fair achievement in its own right and generally suggests that you're doing better than those who haven't. One way of getting around that might be to have AFL ratings and then VFL ratings in a separate category.

Fair point but my wife hates the amount of time I am on this site already!!! Mad

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Wokko wrote:
Dual brownlow medalist, had more kicks than handballs and went at a disposal efficiency somewhere around 80%. Unless you're in the club then you would have no idea how good a coach or not he is. Never have understood the bagging of assistant coaches, we the fans simply have NFI how good or not they are.

Some of the best coaches weren't even good players at all, it just doesn't correlate one way or the other.

agreed

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:47 pm

inxs88 wrote:
David wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Fair point but my wife hates the amount of time I am on this site already!!! Mad

Haha I feel your pain. Same here! Crying or Very sad

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:39 am

Hope Bucks takes some chances at selection this week!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: