Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2015 Season in Review:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:11 pm
Post subject: 2015 Season in Review:Reply with quote

Given our Captain said we are "playing for nothing" I figured I may as well bring my season review forward. Players are rated out of 10 for their body of work/achievement over the season and for those who played Reserves only, shall be graded accordingly to that level.

1. Alex Fasolo: 5/10 with patches of good from but dropped a couple of times and failed to produce against the top sides (Eagles aside). After 5 seasons has he hit his ceiling or can he do a Josh Hill. Trade bait.

2. Sam Dwyer: 4/10. Failed to command a regular spot, despite being a player that uses the ball well and has ability. At 29 he would be fortunate to survive the cut. Likely to be back at Port Melbourne in 2016.

3. Brent Mcaffer: n/a. A year of rehab for the second time. Being signed up for next year gives him some breathing space, however the recruitment of Greenwood may restrict his options next year.

4. Brodie Grundy: 6.5/10. Got off to a cracker and has never seemed to bounce back from his neck injury at training. Still ahead of most Ruckmen of his age.

5. Jamie Elliott: 6/10. Again a season of two halves. Hopefully his stoush with Anthony Rocca during one of the quarter breaks against the Hawks hasn't damaged him for life!

6. Tyson Goldsack: 4/10. With respect its been a typical Tyson season. Some robust performances down back, some niggling injuries and some time in the VFL. Not quite the level we wanted from a deputy vice captain.

7. Ben Kennedy: 2/10. That kick from 40 metres that fell short against the Eagles sums up his year. Contracted for 2016 and doubt whether Hine & Co. shall want to admit their recruitment error just yet.

8. Tom Langdon: 7/10. Pretty good year by Tom down back despite little support. Looks tired as a result. Has he hit his ceiling??

9. Jessie White: 5/10. Was debating a 4/10 however he did kick more goals in less games than last year. Is contracted for next year and we could do worse than put him the WING and say "run forrest run"!!

10. Scott Pendlebury: 8/10. Not his best season and seems to have struggled in the second half of matches this year. Obviously still feeling the effects of shoulder surgery last Summer. Goal kicking from set shot disappointing. Albeit likely to snare a fourth Copeland.

11. Jaryd Blair: 3/10. Has there ever been a player whose "body language/intent" can be superseded by "atrocious outcomes". Tradeable but likely to be steak knives only!

12. Matt Scharenberg: 6/10 is fair given the game time he received. Perplexing as to why Buckley dropped him undeservedly so, whilst we are trying to "retain him" for 2016 and beyond.

13. Taylor Adams: 7.5/10. A step in the right direction for Taylor. Suspension and injury curtailed his momentum, but good platform for 2016.

14. Clinton Young: n/a. Hammy's hammy's hammy's. Nice try Bucks recruiting Clinton but "epic fail". Shall retire.

15. Jarrod Witts: 5.5/10. Some good games, some bad games. Never get the feeling that Jarrod scares anybody and his overhead marking is non-existent. Our most tradeable commodity in a market place with 5 suitors. Not helped by modern day lack of "2 Ruck" suitability. Serious offers should be listened to.

16. Nathan Brown: 7.5/10. Had his best year since 2010 and shut down several players most noticeably Jeremy Cameron. Love for him to find an extra yard.

17. Jonathan Marsh: 5/10. Small sample size but didn't seem overawed when finally selected.

18. Travis Varcoe: 8/10. A revelation. Relentless attack on ball, exquisite skills and team first approach. Not a prolific ball winner however quality which is a rarity with us.

19. Levi Greenwood: 3/10. Low grade purely based on injury count. His shut down role on Cotchin a season highlight, but progress needed in 2016.

20. Ben Reid: 1/10. Injury strikes again. Hopefully a new year and a new dawn for Ben in 2016.

21. Nathan Freeman: n/a. I am worried, really worried. It seems like he has inherited both Ricky Barham and Ricky Olarenshaw's hamstrings.

22. Steele Sidebottom: 7/10. Can do better. Seems to be addicted to Fantasy Footy with his "Trent Cotchin" 1,2 dinky stats. Steele!!! Please get back to kicking 40-50 metres hitting leading forwards lace out. Also you're capable of 30 goals.

23. Lachie Keefe: n/a.

24. Josh Thomas: n/a

25. Jack Crisp: 9/10. Fantastic debut season. Capable of playing inside and outside, shutting down an opponent and better disposal efficiency than envisaged.

26. Marley W: 8/10. Prolific, determined and passionate. Albeit seems to be symbolic of our side insofar as his disposal effectiveness is concerned. Shouldn't kick out after a point "ever".

27. Tony Armstrong: 1/10. Enough said about three club Tony on Nick's already.

28. Ben Sinclair: 2/10. Injury and poor disposal on return suggests he may struggle in 2016 for a regular spot.

29. Tim Broomhead: 4/10. Looked promising and excelled in the St Kilda game and generally when Sidebottom was out. Needs to put on 5-6 kg of muscle in the off season

30. Darcy Moore: 6.5/10. Showed more grunt and spark in 7 games than Jessie White has shown the AFL industry in 9 seasons. Needs another 6 kgs in the off season.

31. Jackson Ramsay: 5/10. The case of the mystery shin splints (I hear he is 2-3 weeks away). Do worry about his left side and for that matter his right side. Lacks polish.

32. Travis Cloke: 4/10. A real concern for us. His kicking action is amateurish, he has no plan B and commands the highest salary at the club with half his paltry goal tally this year coming against GWS, Saints and Melbourne. Suggest he watch every Jack Riewoldt tape (starting with Saturday's) amd learn how a selfish bloke like Riewoldt has "reinvented: himself.

33. Patrick Karnezis: 1/10. A victim of no opportunity. If we wait for him to turn into a "two way runner" for 100% of the time, we shall never see him again. You have to wonder how many games Stevie J would have played if imposed this expectation. Bucks PLAY HIM.

34. Alan Toovey: 2/10. Never blessed with talent or disposal greatness, Alan's saving grace has been excellent closing speed and the ability to shut down smalls and mediums. Sadly his effectiveness to the team is akin to Mick Gayfer in 1993. Also 28, the gig is up Alan. Retire gracefully or Bucks trade him to a gullible list manager's team. Hello Brisbane Lions.

35. Jordan De Goey: 7/10. A solid debut season for Jordan. Looks like an elite talent going forward

36. Dane Swan: 9/10. Back to his prolific and consistent ways. At 31 it's great to see his pride and passion for Pies success is as great as ever!!

37. Brayden Maynard: 5/10. A small sample size of matches. I guess he made some blunders and got taken to the cleaners by Sam Lloyd, however he has a rare attribute. He has a bullet like left leg. With some rigorous off season training, hopefully he can be a regular fixture in defence and also our go to man for "kick ins".

38. Matthew Goodyear: 4/10. Very disappointed with his season. Despite being moved around by Tapping and Co. Matthew's under 18 reputation for being a prolific accumulator (23 poss, avg) has been halved to an average of 12 possessions a game.

39. Michael Manteit: 7/10. Pleasing year by one of our rookie listed players. Courageous and clean with the ball. A realistic chance for an upgrade.

40. Paul Seedsman: 3/10. Anzac Day medallist, dropped 3 times and niggling injuries. Another mixed bag by Paul, who seems to suffer from a lack of polish when in contested ball situations. Classic player that divides Pie fans and is attractive option for other clubs. 50:50 chance of being with us next year

41. Brendan Abbott: 5/10. A likely type whom was developing nicely until injury intervened. Deserves another rookie contract.

43. Adam Oxley: 7/10. A great comeback after a year out of the game. Ran out of legs as the season progressed but Adam possesses some unique qualities that the majority of our list don't possess: he can kick and run. If he could find 5 kgs in strength/muscle I think we could do worse than try him as a mobile forward.

44. Corey Gault: 1/10. 4 years on the list now haven't yielded enough for a fifth. Bye bye Corey.

45. Jack Frost: 6.5/10. Solid year from Jack. Marked down a tad for his lack of offensive run and disposal. A bit to much prop and stop.

46. Mason Cox: 7/10. An international revelation and should be included for last 2 matches at the expense of Broomhead (long term injury list).

So there we have it. Purely subjective of course, however I sense some of the views echo the thoughts of many Nick bloggers. Welcome any feedback.

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I largely agree

Varcoe and Williams amongst my best for the year. Crisp would have joined them but dropped off at end. Swannie a big improvement on prev year, but would not go 9/10.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:46 pm

Really solid review. We are pretty much on same page.

I would have Marley less than 8. Ambition exceeds ability to often for mine.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:51 pm

I'll add that our second half against North Melbourne was the team highlight of the year.

Pretty much agree with your assessment except I rate Marsh higher than Scharenberg.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:47 am

can't disagree with much of that, solid summary.
melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:52 am

Agree with most of that.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:12 am

Good summary Inxs!

I think 6/10 for Scharenberg is a little high and Marsh at 5/10 is a little low and I think Greenwood deserves a 4/10 or 5/10. He's actually been a serviceable player for us when he's played and it's only a broken ankle at the start of the year that hindered his whole year overall.

Overall I agree with most of that!

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:50 am

I wonder if the club actually employs an outsiders point of view when they do there own end of year review? It wouldn't hurt to get a Leigh Matthews type opinion or somebody else's just to see if bucks feels the same way.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:30 am

A good summary.
I think you marked one or 2 players a mark or so higher than what i would.
I would have given Swan a 7 or 8 as i don't think he had a huge impact.
As for the hobbit I would suggest no steak knives only a fish and chip wrapper for him.

Last edited by thompsoc on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:29 am

Poor Youngy rated as N/A back in the old days he might be rated as NRC Crying or Very sad

www.facebook/the hybernators
slangman 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:58 am

Good assessment.
Crisp might be a little lower with his drop in form the last month or so but everyone else pretty much spot on.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:36 pm

thompsoc wrote:
A good summary.
I think you marked one or 2 players a mark or so higher than what i would.
I would have given Swan a 7 or 8 as i don't think he had a huge impact.
As for the hobbit I would suggest no steak knives only a fish and chip wrapper for him.

very good!!! I guess with Swan I based his 9 against the form of others. Being 31, bouncing back as he has and getting the most out of himself was the basis.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:49 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Poor Youngy rated as N/A back in the old days he might be rated as NRC Crying or Very sad

NRC?? Question

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:06 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
can't disagree with much of that, solid summary.

cheers! Put some time into it but it comes from the "head and the heart"!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:09 pm

2015 Year in review: 1st half great. 2nd half shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: