Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why would we want to win?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:21 pm
Post subject: Why would we want to win?Reply with quote

First - unlike many on here, congratulations to Richmond, well played and they are finals bound.... I am not sold on their chances at winning or making the Grand Final, but they did what a finals teams needs to do and that is put away a lowly rival. Which today we were.

As for Collingwood, I have to be honest, Yes the margin was bad, first big loss for the year (last year we had many). But lets part the woods from the trees people.....if we are not going to make the finals....and if we are chasing big fish in the trade period....Why not finish as low as possible? If we are not willing to give up players to get the likes of Treloar and Aish ...we need decent picks.

We know we can match it with the best, we have come close to both Hawthorn and Fremantle. We were a top four team before the bye. The Dogs (who might i added finished 14th last year) prove you can switch it round in 12 months. Plus we shall have a softer draw in 2016!! I see nothing to be gained from winning another game for 2015. Call me mad!

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, well said, commonsense all round, seasons end we recruit hard for treloar and aish etc, and we get the easier fixture next season, makes perfect sense to me mate. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Not mad, just delusional.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:30 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Not mad, just delusional.

I iwll take that as a comment Very Happy

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:31 pm

For the supporters who part with their money?

For pride?

Self esteem?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Deja Vu wrote:

For pride?

Self esteem?

agree. no one wants to be part of a losing outfit.

derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Good post, well said, commonsense all round, seasons end we recruit hard for treloar and aish etc, and we get the easier fixture next season, makes perfect sense to me mate. !

Thanks Smile ...i just laugh at the people who get on here after every loss i see the "Sack Buckley"or the "Are we going backwards" threads back up top. I know it is supporters who are passionate and can't handled losing at any time. And I get that, I just see more gain in getting down not up the ladder. suffer the pain now to get the gain.

Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Because losing cultures for 100 years of this game have only born losing.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:38 pm

Deja Vu wrote:

For pride?

Self esteem?

Yes it hurts, I dont for a moment pretend that it is ideal. But if life was only ever about victory we would have all long since gone off to a monastery high in Tibet somewhere to deal with our issues.

The pragmatic, honest assessment says that if finishing 12th and getting talent or scraping into 8th and getting smashed out in week one this year. I take the first option with the eye to next year and beyond.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Then that just disappoints me more than the loss. I don't care what you have to gain by losing, tanking is not acceptable, at least not when you do its so epically
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

An easy question because developing a losing mentality has setback several clubs for years as Melbourne, Brisbane and Carlton have demonstrated in the past decade.

Members and supporters attend games to watch their team try to win and play to the best of their ability regardless if they win or fall short in the end. If we weren't going for a victory today then why on earth would any supporter in their right mind show up in the first place.

It's an expectation that should be satisfied weekly but sadly we gave up in the final quarter and made Richmond look like a Premiership team today.

Last edited by Jezza on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteveH67 

There are no guarantees we will get an easier draw in 2016, just because we have missed the finals for two years in a row.

I wouldn't trust the AFL to give us more games against the Giants, Suns, Saints, etc.

We will still play the Bombres, Blues, Tigers, Cats etc twice.

derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Jezza wrote:
An easy question because developing a losing mentality has setback several clubs for years as Melbourne, Brisbane and Carlton have demonstrated in the past decade.

Members and supporters attend games to watch their team try to win and play to the best of their ability regardless if they win or fall short in the end. If we weren't going for a victory today then why on earth would any supporter in their right mind show up in the first place.

It's an expectation that should be satisfied weekly but sadly we gave up in the final quarter and made Richmond look like a Premiership team today.

Melbourne, Brisbane, Carlton, had greater issues at play then just on field performance. None of those sides were pushing top four this year (we were). Brisbane might i add were a triple premiership side...the way our competition runs, unfortunately, you pay for success (be it draft picks, increased demand on player payments etc).

We are a side i think is on the cusp of being very successful, we also happen to be very young. We need a few more parts to our puzzle. To achive that you either have to give up talent (an idea most are against) ....or you need picks....I think the latter this year makes more sense.

Last edited by derkd on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:50 pm

Museman wrote:
Because losing cultures for 100 years of this game have only born losing.

If we were belted this year consistently i would agree. We have been far more competitive this year then we were last. I don't need to start another thread on the stats of improvement.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Pendles said they Did not Care about todays game and next 2 games are just going to be Kick and Giggles.

Pathetic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: