Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why would we want to win?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

no way am i convinced derkd. even bucks was perplexed at to what he was seeing.
fundamentals are trained into you when your a auskicker, what were witnessing from professional collingwood listed players wouldn't cut it in school boy footy.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
For the supporters who part with their money?

For pride?

Self esteem?

I can hardly believe that Pendles said that the game meant nothing. I hope he has just found it hard to find the right words after such a devastating loss. Surely he didn't mean what it sounded like?

I agree Deja Vu - what about all the thousands of supporters, who regardless of whether they pay money to see the game or not, loyally support the team and the players, year after year? How much does it matter to them, when they watch their team getting flogged?

Players are so remote from the supporters these days (all teams, not just ours) - maybe they need to be sat in front of a group of die-hard, life long supporters and told just what it means to them, (the supporters), when the players don't play for the jumper.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:42 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:

For pride?

Self esteem?

I can hardly believe that Pendles said that the game meant nothing. I hope he has just found it hard to find the right words after such a devastating loss. Surely he didn't mean what it sounded like?

I agree Deja Vu - what about all the thousands of supporters, who regardless of whether they pay money to see the game or not, loyally support the team and the players, year after year? How much does it matter to them, when they watch their team getting flogged?

Players are so remote from the supporters these days (all teams, not just ours) - maybe they need to be sat in front of a group of die-hard, life long supporters and told just what it means to them, (the supporters), when the players don't play for the jumper.

Not a good look was it? Would hope for a bit better from the skip[/b]

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:01 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:

For pride?

Self esteem?

That will not force them to give a f@k, maybe they should be paid week in and week out what they deserve effort wise.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:06 pm

Yeah Crackerjack... I admit I'm feeling pretty gutted just at the moment, so could well be taking his words too much to heart. I just hope he makes a conscious effort to explain/apologize to the club's supporters.

I would like to be able to say to him "Well, what about us? Your team's supporters? Are we not worth playing your guts out for? It's not all about you. Without us, this game wouldn't even exist and you'd be playing basketball". Smile

Imagine I'll get over it by tomorrow! Smile
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:08 pm

Museman wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:

For pride?

Self esteem?

That will not force them to give a f@k, maybe they should be paid week in and week out what they deserve effort wise.

Not a bad idea. Performance based payments might mean all games suddenly mean something to them.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Pendles said they Did not Care about todays game and next 2 games are just going to be Kick and Giggles.

Pathetic

Source? I find that pretty hard to believe.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Why do we want to win?

Pride.

Because the No.1 pick isn't up for grabs.

Nor is a priority pick.

We aren't Carlton.

We wont finish any lower than we are now with another loss.

Going 1-11 might be a coach killer.

Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:30 pm

If Pendlebury said that he doesn't deserve the captaincy. I can't imagine Buckley as Captain, nor Tony Shaw, nor Scott Burns, nor Maxy saying such a thing.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:31 pm
Post subject: Re: Why would we want to win?Reply with quote

derkd wrote:
First - unlike many on here, congratulations to Richmond, well played and they are finals bound.... I am not sold on their chances at winning or making the Grand Final, but they did what a finals teams needs to do and that is put away a lowly rival. Which today we were.

As for Collingwood, I have to be honest, Yes the margin was bad, first big loss for the year (last year we had many). But lets part the woods from the trees people.....if we are not going to make the finals....and if we are chasing big fish in the trade period....Why not finish as low as possible? If we are not willing to give up players to get the likes of Treloar and Aish ...we need decent picks.

We know we can match it with the best, we have come close to both Hawthorn and Fremantle. We were a top four team before the bye. The Dogs (who might i added finished 14th last year) prove you can switch it round in 12 months. Plus we shall have a softer draw in 2016!! I see nothing to be gained from winning another game for 2015. Call me mad!

There's the thing about selling hope to the supporters. We need members to stick with the club. End the year on a high and it makes all the difference. There's also the thing called the Members' Meeting which will be held after the last game. Hastily called last year to hold off the baying pack, I'm sure Ed and Bucks would prefer to win a game or two from here. Lose both and that meeting will be another f......wit-fest like it was last year.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Gerry Cooper wrote:
If Pendlebury said that he doesn't deserve the captaincy. I can't imagine Buckley as Captain, nor Tony Shaw, nor Scott Burns, nor Maxy saying such a thing.

Exactly Gerry. I'm hoping it was just a poor choice of words from a bitterly disappointed player, but he needs to explain IMHO.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:57 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:

Exactly Gerry. I'm hoping it was just a poor choice of words from a bitterly disappointed player, but he needs to explain IMHO.

Seems like Maxwell's speech at the 2014 Copeland fell upon deaf ears as usual...

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:03 pm

WTF guys?? Did Pendles say he didn't care about this game? Are you serious? What hope do we have if our captain doesn't give a s**t? Might put the house on the Cats/Dons double then, should get a good price.

MONCO: Your life.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:30 pm

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl/scott-pendlebury-says-game-didnt-mean-anything-richmond-blasts-collingwood-at-the-mcg/story-fndv8g1a-1227494545624
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Culprit posted this in the game discussion thread:

“It’s a disappointing day and I’ve sort of never played in a game like that where it is my first time ever that didn’t sort of mean anything,” Pendlebury told 3AW radio.

So, he didn't actually say he didn't care, but that the game didn't mean anything - in terms of the finals I guess he meant. He probably just needs to explain himself better , because regardless of us not being in the finals, every game means something, or at least it does to supporters.

When asked about it in his presser, Bucks tried to make it sound better ie he said that it's understandable to feel differently when the carrot of playing in the finals is gone, but that it should make no difference to playing out every game with maximum effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: