Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Guys punching above their weight

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:47 pm
Post subject: Guys punching above their weightReply with quote

<Split from "Things that made you go WTF"> thread

Must've been "Guys Punching Above Their Weight Day" today. I walked into Broady shopping centre this arvo and in the space of about two minutes I saw three couples where the female was considerably more more attractive than her male partner.

Last edited by Dangles on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you enjoy the physical or psychological aspect more?
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:04 pm

^Depends.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:06 am

Dangles wrote:
Must've been "Guys Punching Above Their Weight Day" today. I walked into Broady shopping centre this arvo and in the space of about two minutes I saw three couples where the female was considerably more more attractive than her male partner.

I'd like to think that physical appearance only plays a small role in the development of long-term relationships. You have to be at least somewhat attracted to someone, of course, but that's a low bar - for me, that could be, you know, 40-60% of women in my age range. What's much rarer is emotional connection, and that's not something you get to pick and choose. If it happens, you'd be a total fool to pass on account of the other person not looking like a Greek god/goddess.

Just quietly, I think that's something that women tend to understand a little better than men. Hence why "guys punching above their weight" is not such an unusual phenomenon (although it is possible that they have chosen them for other superficial reasons, like wealth or social status - or else, you know, attraction is just subjective... Wink).

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 am

Big wallet is generally the reason.

Massive willy on occasion.

I'm screwed either way.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:34 am

swoop42 wrote:
Big wallet is generally the reason.

Massive willy on occasion.

I'm screwed either way.

Hehe read my mind!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:35 am

Tell me more about reason.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:54 am

David wrote:
Dangles wrote:

I'd like to think that physical appearance only plays a small role in the development of long-term relationships. You have to be at least somewhat attracted to someone, of course, but that's a low bar - for me, that could be, you know, 40-60% of women in my age range. What's much rarer is emotional connection, and that's not something you get to pick and choose. If it happens, you'd be a total fool to pass on account of the other person not looking like a Greek god/goddess.

Just quietly, I think that's something that women tend to understand a little better than men. Hence why "guys punching above their weight" is not such an unusual phenomenon (although it is possible that they have chosen them for other superficial reasons, like wealth or social status - or else, you know, attraction is just subjective... Wink).

Emotional connection is fine for friendships but for me I can't sustain a sexual relationship with someone I'm not physically attracted to. So I need both the physical attraction and emotional connection. If I don't find that, and I suspect I won't, then I'm quite happy to devote my time and energy to other aspects of life and not have a partner.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:30 am

^ I'm interested to know why you're pessimistic about your prospects – is it age, or money, or physical appearance, or just that your standards are high? (Feel free to PM if you'd prefer.)

My grandmother, who's 92, has been having a relationship of sorts for nearly five years with a bloke of the same age in her retirement village. It really is never too late (though, admittedly, if one is only attracted to 21-year-old girls, that does make things a bit harder).

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:38 am

David wrote:
Dangles wrote:

Well women find 80% of men to be of 'below average' physical attractiveness, highlighting the 80/20 rule of sex and dating (20% of men having 80% of the sex).

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-looks-and-online-dating/

Women want emotional connection, confidence and sense of humour, but only in a man they deem 'worthy' of their attention. These so called 'unattractive' men punching above their weight, are either wealthy, have some kind of social status or the women have 'settled' after having their share of the top dogs and not pinning one down.

There's a reason for a lot of the bitterness among the lower echelon of male attractiveness, they simply have no chance and are far more marginalized in the dating game than even the least attractive women. They end up being 'settled for' by women with ticking biological clocks and are the kind of men the old cliche of horrible married life comes from. What could be worse than being madly in love with someone who resents you for being 'less' than the men they dated for 15 years.

Physical appearance is only 'unimportant' if you're not constrained by it. Ask former unattractive men how things change for them when they make themselves more physically attractive (working out, fashion etc). I truly feel for my ugly brothers, not just their inability to find a partner (who many would be more than happy to be loving and monogomous with), but for the complete lack of care or sympathy towards them from society, hell even the open ridicule they face.

*quick edit*

I also would add that short men would be the most sexually discriminated against people in that 'unattractive' group, and unlike someone fat or unfit or terribly uncool, or poor, there is NOTHING they can do bout it.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:31 pm

^Good post and rings very true to me. I totally agree with the 80/20. It's probably why I feel insensed when I hear women criticizing all men for the behavior of the 20%.

"Physical appearance is only unimportant if you're not constrained by it"

Spot on. I have no interest in listening to guys with smoking hot girlfriends lecture anybody about being shallow. I also wouldn't be interested in hooking up with someone who has "settled" for me because she couldn't pin a top dog down. If I wasn't good enough for her during her the best years of her life then I'm not interested in her once her stocks on the single market have dropped. That'd be like concededing that the guys she couldn't pin down are somehow better than me and I won't accept that.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:21 pm

I think that view of relationships is terribly hierarchical and competitive. It's almost like something out of a pick-up artist's handbook. Most people in the real world aren't quietly rating everyone they meet out of 10 or trying to work out which 'league' they belong to.

I'm not the least attractive guy in the world, but my patchy social skills and lack of self-confidence used to make me more or less 'undateable'. I had heaps of unrequited crushes on girls as a teenager. But in hindsight, I wouldn't have been that compatible with any of them – not because they were '8s' and I was a '6' or something stupid like that, but just because we had fundamentally different personalities and weren't even all that interested in the same things. When I think about it, my attraction to most of them was a little shallow in some ways.

Fast-forward to now, and I've just celebrated my five-year anniversary with the mother of my child. With her, I had an instant connection, instant compatibility and we still click years later. We share the same passions, we're at the same intellectual level, we're physically attracted to each other (although neither of us would be '8s' or '9s' or '10s' by mainstream cultural standards) and I feel like I can talk to her really easily.

That's just luck, I acknowledge. I could easily still be single or be in a relationship with someone I don't have a connection with. But to pick-up artists, my situation shouldn't even exist. I should have 'traded up' years ago to someone with a higher number in the looks and social standings chart, or gone to a night-club and used some line to trick a barbie doll into sleeping with me, and then maintained the charade as long as possible so I could be the 'top dog' with the alpha babe on my arm. It's ridiculous, but that's what some people out there would think. If that's your priority in life, you can probably, with some limitations, achieve it – you know, get ripped, get wealthy, get super-confident, and become #1 male in the nightclub, if that's your thing.

The idea that not doing so constitutes 'settling', though, is pretty insulting and short-sighted. When I think about it honestly, the vast majority of 'objectively hot' women do not interest me one bit. Because it's so rare to truly emotionally connect with someone, the chances are that I'd run out of things to say to Scarlett Johansson within about two weeks. That's just the way it is. But that's perfectly ok, because having a trophy wife is not high on my list of life ambitions. Having a partner who I deeply love and trust is.

The beauty of love and human relationships is that people's personalities and interests are so different. The person that you're most compatible with is not the person Wokko or Tannin or Stui or think positive or me would be most compatible with. I think the key is having an open mind and not being too fixated on a certain 'kind' of partner. Physical attraction isn't always instantaneous, and connection is as rare as hen's teeth. People looking for the ideal relationship need to stop playing the game and start looking and listening.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 pm

So what's wrong with wanting to be in a relationship with someone you're physically attracted to AND have an emotional connection to?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Nothing at all! I guess it depends how you define attraction – is it the 2% of people in the world that you find extraordinarily beautiful, or is it someone who you find somewhat attractive? Surely the latter leaves you with plenty of options, I would have thought.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:03 pm

Gees this is depressing!

Is the female species really that shallow?

I dated a drop dead gorgeous guy for a while, (I mean smoking hot, drop dead gorgeous movie star looks and body, and a voice of pure silk, and a really magnetic personality too) but I knew he was out of my league so I didn't let myself get attached. I thought I was punching above my weight, and I could never quite believe he asked me out! We had been work friends for a while anyway, so it was more friends with benefits. And I don't regret it one bit. I stopped seeing him when I met my hubby.

I have no regrets, and only fond memories, because, unlike other bastards who broke my heart, I never let him get under my skin. OMG. Even now the thought of him gets my pulse racing. Bit of the James Dean thing there though, die young stay pretty. Tim had epilepsy, it always struck me as kind of ironic, such perfection, but with a fatal flaw. I still remember the day i got the call, I was shattered. Heart broken, such a fantastic soul was gone. I went to the funeral, and the church was full of gorgeous girls. And his current girlfriend. I was shocked. I couldn't believe how ordinary she was! And yes I know that's bitchy! I never heard anyone say a bad word about him ever. Made me wonder if I was the superficial one, but judging myself, instead of him....

of course there's been other cute guys, that I didn't feel out of place with, and one really charismic guy that almost broke my heart! But I left. Before he could. And, as they say, the best revenge comes years later, when they have really let themselves go, and you haven't!! Suck on that Vladimir!

Can you have real love without physical attraction? I think it's possible, depends on your value system, your preferences (I don't get the preference for fat arses for a start!) but I reckon being blind would help! Certainly, a gorgeous face and body helps, but all beautiful things fade. Or die.

What is settling really? are you aiming for someone you think you don't deserve? Why don't you? Or, have you let yourself go, and soyoudrop your "standards?" What are "standards anyway?" Who has a right to say your not worthy of someone else.

I remember going Ito the tall ships with a girlfriend, and she said 'how about that sailor over there, he's looking at you?" I said, "hmm, not bad I guess" she says, "he's alright for you". WTF!! I was go smacked! This girl was my boss at work, but other than that she didn't have any attribute I consider better than what I had to offer! Once again, later on I found out the karma bus smacked her good!

It's a bloody shame there is so much emphasis on outer beauty. And funnily enough, I don't think men and woman agree on what that is either! You only have to look at the super skinny phase to see that!

Never give up on finding love. In some form or another.

But then ,there's always dogs! The four legged kind that is!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: