Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL - N Brown Hit was a Cheapshot

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
I've actually had this assassination of Brown's character.

Watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfzXec2m418

If you just watch the slo-mo replays in this footage (from a side angle), it looks like a deliberate hit from a player who wasn't contesting the ball. If, however, you watch the normal-speed footage of the play, what you see is that the Swans had control of the ball in the back pocket and an up and under kick looked to be straight down Brown's throat. Unsurprisingly, he charged in to take the mark and cause the turnover. Parker runs back with the flight of the ball and gets right in Brown's path. Brown is running straight at the ball and would have expected to mark it.

It is outrageous that Brown was given any penalty for that. It was a complete accident caused by an idiot who decided to do a "courageous" thing and jump into the path of the player who "had his name on" the ball. It wasn't a careless, mistimed challenge - it was the inevitable consequence of Parker putting himself in Brown's path as Brown charged in to mark a ball that had been kicked straight to him.

The bemusing aspect of all of this is that it was actually Parker who went at Brown front on. It is inconceivable that Brown should have been expected to leave himself open for a hit in that circumstance.

This sums it up perfectly.

Any other views - clearly you don't remember football before Adrian Anderson f***e* it up.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:22 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Of course it was avoidable - he could just have let Parker clean him up - that would've been an acceptable outcome.

He could have led with the knee.

It would have done a lot more damage to Parker but provided Brown had his arms out like he was trying to mark the ball, he would have been fine.

I know... duty of care and footy's not about killing someone etc etc, but it's the safest way for Brown to contest the ball without opening himself up to injury. If the little guy wants to run with the flight of the ball and leave himself totally open to a hit, then more fool him. He would have gotten past the MRP, even if he had cracked Parker's skull open, proving that the MRP is a stupid joke.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:29 pm

This is almost the same conversation as the one about idiots leading with their heads charging at a ground ball, where the guy that goes for the ball correctly by turning his body gets rubbed out.
Ridiculous.

But we can't have little Johnny's mum seeing someone cop a knock out there, or little Johnny's mum will make him play soccer. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
uncanny 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:50 pm

as others have noted about Brown ironing out Parker...
Ling and Carey harped on about it all night saying he deserved multiple weeks.
Tonight Hodge deliberately hip and shoulders Wingard's head into the point post. "No case to answer". Good bloke Hodgey wouldn't have done that on purpose. He's already been rubbed out for weeks this year for a dog act but no he wouldn't do that. Is it because he's going to be working with them on channel 7 in a year or two so they won't criticise him?
How biased are those legends of the game?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:14 am

This is a Cheapshot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKwYzdMAJc

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:14 am

uncanny wrote:
Tonight Hodge deliberately hip and shoulders Wingard's head into the point post. "No case to answer". Good bloke Hodgey wouldn't have done that on purpose. He's already been rubbed out for weeks this year for a dog act but no he wouldn't do that. Is it because he's going to be working with them on channel 7 in a year or two so they won't criticise him?

I noticed that too.Last week Ling kept harping on about how much Brown should get for hitting Parker,and this week with Hodge hitting Wingard it's move along,nothing to see here.Biased hypocrite!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:30 am

What about what that sniper Hodge did to wingard tonight, near goals, nearly took wingards head off, yet bet the mongrel will get a puny fine, by the weak as piss MRP, weak as cats piss, and love the piss an poop, disgusting.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:32 am

doriswilgus wrote:
uncanny wrote:

I noticed that too.Last week Ling kept harping on about how much Brown should get for hitting Parker,and this week with Hodge hitting Wingard it's move along,nothing to see here.Biased hypocrite!

Red pig Ling and Carey give wankers a bad name, loathe the Pies, they were really upset with piss and poop losing tonight, had faces like squeezed lemons, Razz Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:35 am

uncanny wrote:

Made note of that myself. Totally different treatment, almost a reluctant acknowledgement that the contact was head high. Hodge, with his record, should be expecting at least 2 weeks R&R.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:36 am

jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I do blame Parker - if he had not run into the frame from the wrong direction, Brown would have taken a comfortable mark.

I'll say it again - short of dematerialising, there was nothing Brown could do to avoid that contact. It only looks otherwise in the slo-mo. Once there is going to be contact from a player running from entirely the wrong direction to make a contest, Brown must be entitled to protect himself.

The play has to be looked at in its context - it was an errant Swans turnover kick out of the back pocket. Brown had a full, straight run at it and must have expected to take the mark.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Parker should be lauded for his bravery, Brown will likely consider himself lucky to get the 1 week due to Parker being 1 tough SOB. The Ling and Carey hatchet job was extreme, the outcome just.

some will say that Parker was lucky that he wasn't knocked unconscious. Luck is a funny thing. If he had of been knocked unconscious, he would not have been on the ground later in the game when he suffered a terrible knee injury.

Maybe Brown should cop extra weeks for failing to knock him out which actually resulting in Parker missing more weeks than he would have if brown had of knocked him out.

E 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:44 am

jackcass wrote:
uncanny wrote:

Made note of that myself. Totally different treatment, almost a reluctant acknowledgement that the contact was head high. Hodge, with his record, should be expecting at least 2 weeks R&R.

oh my, I just saw what Hodge did.

first, the whistle had blown so the ball was not live - so no one should be touching anyone.

secondly, He very clearly made the choice to smash him into the post with the hip directly making contact with the head and wedging it between the hip and the post. The post was right there - how could you possibly argue that wasn't intentional? Its not like he didn't see it. What else could he possibly have been trying to do.

Third, he hit him with as much force as he could muster!

Finally, man that was scary. If Wingard's head is a little further on field side of the post, that is a broken neck.

Did I say that play wasn't live at the time!!!!!!!!

Holy Shit. What an absolute dog of an act!

Wingard very lucky not to be the next Greening!

given the head high contact, how is it possible that the was no report???????

don't you think its funny how whenever a Hawthorn player does something wrong, they aggressively walk to the umpire remonstrating and asking what they did wrong. I wonder if that intimidation factor saved Hodge from report. They do it ALL THE TIME. They try to make the umpire feel small which must affect the judgment of these guys (remembering its because they weren't such confident kids that they became umpires in the first place - as opposed to players)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: