Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Guys punching above their weight

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

When?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:42 pm

David wrote:
I really do understand and sympathise with the frustration that some single men feel. It's not nice to feel invisible; I certainly know that from experience. And there aren't always easy answers, either. But I think it's important not to let that frustration turn into resentment or misogyny.

Dave, some women and men are completely shallow, but most aren't. Most people are just like you and me; they want to love and be loved. It can just be hard to get on people's radar if you're not socially gifted or if you're unconventional in other ways, but don't feel like it's an impossibility. The more you find places where you're comfortable and you feel like you fit in, the more chance you have of finding someone you connect with. It's hard and there's a lot of luck involved, but the more generous and open-minded your disposition, the easier it will be.

Take the internet out of the equation and people used to meet each other at places where people gather together, where you could get to know someone in a social sense.

eg, school/uni, work, church, sporting club.

We don't do church here like the yanks, so that generally leaves school and work. If you're not going to school/uni and you're unemployed or employed in a small place with not a lot of people contact, your options become limited.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:27 pm

So to recap, beauty is subjective, people in the real world don't gauge attractiveness and compatability on a scale of 1-10 and no one is out of anyone's league because said leagues don't exist.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:49 pm

Dangles wrote:
So to recap, beauty is subjective, people in the real world don't gauge attractiveness and compatability on a scale of 1-10 and no one is out of anyone's league because said leagues don't exist.

More like people, relationships, needs and circumstances are so diverse and many-faceted, that the "league" you decide to compete in is one of many "leagues".

Once you've dealt with the narrowness of the goals and world view you had as a teen—and how that was shaped by a desire to satisfy your mother's archetype of the ideal man, exaggerated by your drive to reproduce and be approved by your peers—the options in life are endless.

The high stakes of the traditional career-marriage-house-kids routine probably does make it all seem a zero-sum game in your 20s, I understand. My assumption would be the sooner you can become your own man, comfortable in your own skin, the sooner options start opening up and it all starts feeling less urgent and claustrophobic. That in turn makes you less self-conscious and more attractive. Something like that!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:02 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
I really do understand and sympathise with the frustration that some single men feel. It's not nice to feel invisible; I certainly know that from experience. And there aren't always easy answers, either. But I think it's important not to let that frustration turn into resentment or misogyny.

Dave, some women and men are completely shallow, but most aren't. Most people are just like you and me; they want to love and be loved. It can just be hard to get on people's radar if you're not socially gifted or if you're unconventional in other ways, but don't feel like it's an impossibility. The more you find places where you're comfortable and you feel like you fit in, the more chance you have of finding someone you connect with. It's hard and there's a lot of luck involved, but the more generous and open-minded your disposition, the easier it will be.

Take the internet out of the equation and people used to meet each other at places where people gather together, where you could get to know someone in a social sense.

eg, school/uni, work, church, sporting club.

We don't do church here like the yanks, so that generally leaves school and work. If you're not going to school/uni and you're unemployed or employed in a small place with not a lot of people contact, your options become limited.

You can always go to nightclubs if all else fails! Razz

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:24 pm

You want to come to Pattaya in Thailand to see how it works. Over 90 percent of the expats,and there are thousands, would be married or living with a Thai woman at least 20 years his junior. No money no honey. Thai men are socially irresponsible and many leave a woman with kids to fend for themselves. The young blokes who come here can't work out why the young Thai chicks don't flock to them. Madonna was right.The man with cold hard cash is always Mr Right.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:37 pm

ronrat wrote:
You want to come to Pattaya in Thailand to see how it works. Over 90 percent of the expats,and there are thousands, would be married or living with a Thai woman at least 20 years his junior. No money no honey. Thai men are socially irresponsible and many leave a woman with kids to fend for themselves. The young blokes who come here can't work out why the young Thai chicks don't flock to them. Madonna was right.The man with cold hard cash is always Mr Right.

Don't know if that's the sort of emotional connection David was alluding to.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:55 pm

[coff] Geoff Edelstein [coff]
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:03 pm

ronrat wrote:

If I were a young Thai woman living in dire economic conditions and marriage to a rich older Westerner was a ticket out of poverty, I'd take it too. Wouldn't both partners kind of end up feeling used, though? I'm sure sincere loving relationships can emerge out of such pairings, but they'd have to be in the minority.

You've talked a lot about your partner on here in the past, but I'm interested to hear a bit more about your experience of the relationship. Is it a fundamentally different relationship to ones you've had with Australian women? Did you ever worry at the beginning that she might have had ulterior motives, or would it not have bothered you either way?

Last edited by David on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:07 pm

define "loving relationship"

I reckon you'd get a variety of definitions from different people in different situations. None are wrong, most are right.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Perhaps that's an overly vague term. I guess, for me, it's whatever we might think of as the ideal relationship - for most of us, that's probably something like a relationship between equals, with a high degree of physical and emotional intimacy as well as mutual attraction, commitment and trust.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm

That's your definition and there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't apply universally and many others will have different ones.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:28 am

stui magpie wrote:
That's your definition and there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't apply universally and many others will have different ones.

Married people for a start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: