Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Keeffe and Thomas - 2 year suspension confirmed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:43 am
Post subject: Keeffe and Thomas - 2 year suspension confirmedReply with quote

Josh Thomas and Lachie Keeffe to learn fate soon.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/suspended-collingwood-pair-josh-thomas-and-lachie-keeffe-to-learn-fate-soon-20150722-gii0i3.html

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it is only one year but it will probably be 2.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:22 am

2 years out of Football is a long time. As far as I am concerned if they are guilty they have to go or we are the biggest hypocrites of all time.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:48 am

Culprit wrote:
2 years out of Football is a long time. As far as I am concerned if they are guilty they have to go or we are the biggest hypocrites of all time.

Not too sure how looking after players who have made an error of judgement or stuffed up can be considered as hypocritical mate. Richmond gave Cousins a chance, we gave Kracks a chance and there are many other examples. We all make mistakes in life, ever since the last perfect person was hung on a cross. Giving someone a second chance is NOT hypocritical, in fact it can be considered to be great practice in many fields.
I fully support the club giving them another chance to shine.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Lazza wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Not too sure how looking after players who have made an error of judgement or stuffed up can be considered as hypocritical mate. Richmond gave Cousins a chance, we gave Kracks a chance and there are many other examples. We all make mistakes in life, ever since the last perfect person was hung on a cross. Giving someone a second chance is NOT hypocritical, in fact it can be considered to be great practice in many fields.

Neither Cousins or Krak used PEDs to cheat. I don't want either of them at the club, and frankly I don't see a spot in the side for either of them anyway. They would both be depth at best.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:35 pm

Stupied wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Neither Cousins or Krak used PEDs to cheat. I don't want either of them at the club, and frankly I don't see a spot in the side for either of them anyway. They would both be depth at best.

No-one has even suggested that Keeffe and Thomas used PEDs to cheat. It seems like they had a party drug, something lots of AFL players, including other current Collingwood players, do from time to time, and this contained some PED substance. I think a few people need to get off their moral high horse and wake up to the fact that recreational drug use is rampant in our society, especially amongst 18-25 yr olds, and that this includes athletes.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Stupied wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Culprit wrote:

I'd rather see evidence that they deliberately took PEDs before hanging them out to dry.

But even in the unlikely event that they did, Richmond took Justin Charles back after he'd served his time for deliberate steroid use. Obviously a club has to weigh up the pros and cons of taking players back after a long lay-off, but I'd rather the decision be made on the basis of football team needs than holier-than-thou posturing.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:00 pm

Stupied wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Face plant post…

The guys were stupid but there is no evidence of deliberate cheating…

They have already had one year out so best scenario would be back next year but more likely they will only return for 2017.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Lazza wrote:
Culprit wrote:

I would certainly take them back if there was a true upside for the club. At the end of the day the winning of Premierships is and should be high on the agenda (but not an any cost) . I do not believe that they knowingly took Peds but at the same time I feel it a betrayal of the players that on one hand the club invests money, expertise, time and effort in getting their fitness. skills and experience to the highest possible level and then on the other hand to see them put their physical and mental health at risk for a drug high.

Being paid as a professional sportsman does have strings attached.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:53 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
Stupied wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Face plant post…

The guys were stupid but there is no evidence of deliberate cheating…

They have already had one year out so best scenario would be back next year but more likely they will only return for 2017.

As yet there is no evidence the contrary either, just some hyperbole from desperate supporters hoping that they took an illicit drug laced with a PED, which frankly, isn't much better.

There is literally no reason to keep them at the club if they're found guilty. Neither will be best 22 players heading in to 2016, and if they cop 2 year bans, which is likely, they'll be fighting an uphill battle to be considered on any list in the AFL.

I'd much rather cut them loose and bring in some fresh faces. I'm all for the club supporting them outside of football, but frankly, have no desire to see them back in black and white again. They knew the risks of what they were doing in both scenarios of taking PEDs or illicit drugs, no sympathy from me there, as cold as it might sound.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:58 pm

Stupied wrote:
no sympathy from me there, as cold as it might sound.

Yeah I suppose when you are that high up on your horse, it must get very cold for you.. Rolling Eyes

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Lazza wrote:
Stupied wrote:
no sympathy from me there, as cold as it might sound.

Yeah I suppose when you are that high up on your horse, it must get very cold for you.. Rolling Eyes

If holding players to the same standard as I hold myself is getting on my high horse, so be it. If you're willing to condone the usage of illegal or banned substances by using the bullshit 'we all make mistakes' excuse, then that's your prerogative.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:17 pm

Lazza wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Cousins never tested positive to anything, Krakouer served his time for his crime. hardly the same as testing positive for PEDs and costing us two players for a season so far.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:22 pm

nothing new to add?
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:24 pm

"The pair, for instance, could be handed a one-year ban that was significantly back-dated, meaning they could resume in time for next season"

That'd be the best case scenario. But if they get two years meaning that we'd have to carry them through next year on the rookie list and maybe some of the way through 2017 then I reckon we'd have to cut them loose. But I guess the club would have to consider how the rest of the playing group feels about it too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22   

Jump to: