Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 18 - Collingwood vs North Ballarat at Victoria Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair question, thompsoc - my take is that they were just too big all over for, in particular, our VFL players and that Collingwood was physically overwhelmed. I didn't really see it as a fitness thing - more like the old, classic problem of the fast runners not being so fast at the end of the game and the slow plodders catching them and running over the top. I actually thought that they were more efficient around the contest all day, even when Collingwood was well on top on the scoreboard, so it wasn't too surprising (although it was miserably disappointing).

I'm glad you saw Kennedy kick those 2 long goals because the scary thing is that he is actually a very good kick - it's like they take his superhero costume off him when he's brought into the seniors.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:16 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Collingwood was too small around the ball all day - only Kennedy looked like getting a consistent clearance and he was often having to do it with 4 against him.

Witts kicked a lovely banana goal in the first but didn't impact the game much after that. At his size, he needs to learn to use his body to control the contest physically or he will not take the next step.

White was good, although he obviously faded playing at FF later in the game when the ball ceased to come in.

PK was moderately good, Goldie was below par, Caff had a solid return, the trainers occasionally left a life-sized cardboard cut-out of Paul Seedsman on the ground (perhaps to fool the interchange stewards?) but it didn't fool any of us, Scharenberg played the same underwhelming game he's played in every single one of his VFL performances, so far, Cox was alright (just alright), Armstrong was good. Young and Dwyer did a bit. If Manteit played, I didn't see him touch the ball.

The last 40 minutes was just excruciating. They led by 6 goals just before three-quarter time and plainly had the scoring end in the last quarter (save in extraordinary conditions, kicking to Yarra Falls end in the last quarter is a substantial advantage, all other things being equal), so that was an unacceptable finish to the game.

From what I saw I will second that review.
Sums up the game I saw.
I will add that I thought Caff was good given it was his first game back.

Shall we have a discussion about recruiting and see if we can agree on that, too? Wink
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Please no no no no discussion about recruiting!
I have said too much of late!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Witts getting Destroyed in the Ruck in last qtr hurt us big time
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:20 pm

DTM, almost the entire team was hopeless in the last quarter - I'm not sure that it is fair to single out Witts for special criticism. He was ordinary - but he had plenty of mates.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:43 pm

I went down to have a look today. Wandered round the ground and mainly was at our forward end.

Witts struggled against Orrong Stephenson, who is a large unit, but competed hard all day and did a few nice things, clunked a few good marks.

Ben Ken is a real little terrier but needs some big bodied extractors around him in the middle, he was playing a lone hand in there.

Cox has no upper body strength to speak of and needs to be able to play to his strengths which are speed, agility and height. With him playing FF for most of the game we should have cleared space in front of him and told him to lead. As it was he looked a little lost in the traffic but did OK when the ball in his hands. Nice set shot goal kicking technique, hunches right over and drops the ball close to his foot.

Jessie White, like Cox, struggled with the ball being dropped on his head. He has some serious tools this boy, he's got genuine pace, he's tall and very athletic but he's not going to win many marking contests against Joel Tippet when he has to stand there and get manhandled.

I liked the look of Ben Monkhurst. Nothing actually that special but he has a crack. Played mid size forward today and moved well. Also got Dad and the family down to watch him play. The big Monkey was there, lumbering out to the huddle at 1/4 and 3/4 time and having a quick chat with Ben as the players were heading back to position to restart the quarter. He is a seriously huge man, must be up round 140kg or more. He could stick a cricket bat up DTM's arse and eat him like a battered sav on a stick. He was sitting on the south side forward pocket not far from the food van with his Missus and what I assume was his eldest son.

Patty K was Patty K. All the skill in the world but doesn't get out of a jog unless the ball is within 5 metres and there's a chance to have it given to him.

Overall disappointing day. What shitted me was that North was able to continuously open us up when they got hands on the ball down back by run, carry and handpassing. They'd continually slice straight through us back to their end.

It's always a special experience getting to watch Collingwood lose 2 games in 2 days that they should have won.

Ah well, did anyone know that Canadian Club goes remarkably well with a dash of Stones?

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Do you guys think Reid, Marsh and Moore will play finals for the reserves?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:43 pm

Moore and Marsh certainly should - the more footy they get under their belts, the better. Reid shouldn't be risked.
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The big Monkey was there, lumbering out to the huddle at 1/4 and 3/4 time and having a quick chat with Ben as the players were heading back to position to restart the quarter. He is a seriously huge man, must be up round 140kg or more. He could stick a cricket bat up DTM's arse and eat him like a battered sav on a stick.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:03 pm

My Thoughts:

White was good in 1st half but went missing in 2nd Half

Was Seedsman Playing?

Good to see Caff Out There

Dwyer did not stand out

Schrarnberg was good and good to see him have bit more pace and longer kicking. Still not Fit enough to run both ways

Goldsack was Quiet

Cox good in the Ruck but little else. Struggles badly around the Ground

BK kicked a Few Goals and Looked Lively

Last Qtr was Disgusting

Witts had a descent 3 qtrs but was Destroyed in last Qtr

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:13 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
My Thoughts:

Was Seedsman Playing?

Dwyer did not stand out

Schrarnberg was good and good to see him have bit more pace and longer kicking. Still not Fit enough to run both ways

Goldsack was Quiet

Last Qtr was Disgusting

When you say Cox is good in the ruck do you mean from boundary throw ins too or just ball ups and centre bounces?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The big Monkey was there, lumbering out to the huddle at 1/4 and 3/4 time and having a quick chat with Ben as the players were heading back to position to restart the quarter. He is a seriously huge man, must be up round 140kg or more. He could stick a cricket bat up DTM's arse and eat him like a battered sav on a stick.

Monkey doesn't eat like a horse.

He eats the f***ing horse.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:32 am

Dangles wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
My Thoughts:

Was Seedsman Playing?

Dwyer did not stand out

Goldsack was Quiet

Last Qtr was Disgusting

When you say Cox is good in the ruck do you mean from boundary throw ins too or just ball ups and centre bounces?

All of Them but Mostly and Center Bounces

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:03 am

Replay:

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2015-08-15/vfl-r18-pies-v-roosters-2nd-quarter

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2015-08-15/vfl-r18-pies-v-roosters-3rd-quarter

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2015-08-15/vfl-r18-pies-v-roosters-4th-quarter

EDIT: Hmm, seems like they don't have the actual 1st quarter accessible....

lukem, if your reading in the background, could you and your team please correct the problem? Thanks.

Last edited by MagpieBat on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:25 am; edited 2 times in total
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Someone thought Witts did ok
BEST
: Witts, Young, R.Pendlebury, Armstrong, White, Taylor
North Ballarat: Bastinac, Hooper, Couch, Dumont, Lockyer, Peters Witts did ok
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14   

Jump to: