Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Can anybody tell me what Collingwood's game plan is?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ioannina 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

my english is not that good so sorry if i make any mistakes.. i have been in professional soccer team and i can say that buckley has no game plan...and i can say this because i had coaches like buckley....it is obvious that he hasen't a proper game plan, he has no tactics...
you never kick the ball backwards to your defence, you never kick the ball across the backline things that are said from good coaches (look at the mistakes we made with carlton)..
as a coach you have to win the players, with the good training, good excercises, and plan written on the board....buckley has not achived that and thats why so many good players left and that why many times the best players have no passion and seem bored (as many times it being written why the players dont play)..
buckley demolished a premiership team because of his ego, so they wont call collingwood malhouses team....
we need an experienced coach...a coach who can win the players..
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:45 pm

Ioannina wrote:
my english is not that good so sorry if i make any mistakes.. i have been in professional soccer team and i can say that buckley has no game plan...and i can say this because i had coaches like buckley....it is obvious that he hasen't a proper game plan, he has no tactics...
you never kick the ball backwards to your defence, you never kick the ball across the backline things that are said from good coaches (look at the mistakes we made with carlton)..
as a coach you have to win the players, with the good training, good excercises, and plan written on the board....buckley has not achived that and thats why so many good players left and that why many times the best players have no passion and seem bored (as many times it being written why the players dont play)..
buckley demolished a premiership team because of his ego, so they wont call collingwood malhouses team....

Playing in a professional soccer team doesn't qualify you to make comments about Buckley's coaching philosophies any more than any layman who follows Aussie rules football. In fact there would be a lot of AFL footballers who wouldn't know the game plans of opposition coaches unless they played under that coach. Also, unless you are part of the Collingwood inner sanctum, you wouldn't be aware of all the skills training that goes on at the club apart from going to the open training times. Furthermore what you witnessed in play against Carlton is not much different to what you see with the other 17 teams. That is, teams pass the ball backwards, sideways and any which way to move the ball to the forward line. Incidentally soccer teams pass the ball that way as well. But I'm all ears here. Illustrate to me in reasoned argument that Buckley doesn't have the players wanting to play for him. Or is that you just don't like Buckley as a coach and want to convince the rest of us that your opinion is superior to everybody else's.
Robbie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:52 pm
Post subject: Maybe Bucks should PublishReply with quote

I don't care whether you believe Bucks is a bad Coach or you would like to sound a bit smarter amongst your acquaintances. Dumb questions such as yours are not worth answering because you wouldn't understand the answer, and that is all you deserve.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:56 pm
Post subject: Re: Maybe Bucks should PublishReply with quote

Robbie wrote:
I don't care whether you believe Bucks is a bad Coach or you would like to sound a bit smarter amongst your acquaintances. Dumb questions such as yours are not worth answering because you wouldn't understand the answer, and that is all you deserve.

i reckon there'd be more than a few players across the league who struggle with the tactical concepts and strategies employed by his club. there is a lot to get one's head around given the multitude of scenarios that eventuate. many of the new kids on the block straight from the draft and/or TAC Cup would find it all such a foreign concept.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:03 am

jatsad wrote:
I understand every thing everyone one is saying. And I agree the young guys have huge potential. It's just that I don't see any METHOD. If a mark is taken, first thought is to go backwards. If they are in close, first thought is to handball backwards. There hasn't been a decent kick in plan since Leon left and that constantly gets us into trouble.

The doggies are almost as young, but they play with METHOD.
We should release all shackles on the players and let them display their skills. If you are in a position to mark, go for it instead of punching. If you see a pass, hit it straight away instead of fearing a mistake.

Run past for a handball, play on when you mark. Play some exciting football instead of flooding. I constantly see, when it actually does happen, a player break through the middle of the ground, couple of bounces, then they look up, stop and go backwards because there aren't any forwards to kick to.

If this is a game plan, then those collective coaches we have should be embarrassed. Free them up and let them play. You'd be surprised just how much the skills would improve if players were allowed to express their natural ability, instead of been hamstrung into a defensive mindset.

Come on Bucks, Harves, Burnsy. You were all great free flowing players who were magic with the ball in your hands. Coach your team the same way.

The bolded part is almost 100% wrong. Just watching the replay now and when a mark is taken, they almost always look ahead for someone to pass to. When they have no-one they feel comfortable kicking to, they will go backwards or sideways. I reckon we notice it more because a few years ago, we would have just bombed it down the line, something we do a lot less of now.

I don't go to games anymore so don't see what's downfield from the marker too often these days but when I do, I see comparatively stagnant players. Even when the marker is on a back flank, you see the more successful clubs offering multiple leads upfield, not just to create options but to take oppo players with them, creating the space for teammates to run into. When those players can take an uncontested mark at pace, that's when you see the game really open up.

Now whether its a case of us having poor leading patterns, or we don't have the fitness to keep making those leads all day is something I can't answer. I'd like to think though that it is the latter and that another couple of pre-seasons will sort all that out.

As to the handballing stuff, well welcome to modern day footy. Like it or not, the stoppages are critical and you will have 16 to 20 players around the ball at any of them. Players don't have the time to win the ball in close and spot up a player 40 metres down field and reliably kick to their advantage. If they just snap it out blindly, it will come back with interest too often. Players who can win the ball in close and accelerate with pace from the contest to get that space required to deliver effectively have names like Judd and Dangerfield. With Swan in decline, we are losing our best at it though even at his peak, his delivery often left a bit to be desired.

A player running past the contest at pace to accept the outside ball doesn't need that acceleration, but he had better want to time his run well all the time in order to accept the handpass. As a running link player, he is likely to have someone on his hammer anyway (or a couple of players moving across to block/tackle him). So we flick the ball around until we can get it to someone with a moment to spare in order to steady. Obviously, if we plan to have a sweeper on the defensive side of the stoppage, the ball is going to come his way regularly which is why that last handpass is often backwards. Sometimes we just give it to Pendles and he pulls out some bullshit over the shoulder piece of genius like he did a couple of times on the weekend but unfortunately, we only have one player capable of doing that most weekends.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:12 am

The game plan is a simple one, we put an extra man around the stoppages instead of playing a spare defender, this plan requires full team pressure, but sadly our game plan can't ne sustained over a season, I don't blame our youth, I blame the coach.

Enjoy Bucks whilst you still can guys, come 2016 he'll be warming a seat next to Brucey.

I think it's time we looked elsewhere, when a spade looks like a spade there's a better than even chance it is a spade.

He has taken us back every ducking year, great coaches show themselves within 2 years.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:59 am

Every team plans the same game style. In my opinion there are very minor differences. And the fact that some do it better than others.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:36 am

Ioannina wrote:

You obviously haven't watched Melbourne Victory, our game plan involves kicking back to the keeper and across the ground to the free defenders to switch the play. We won a premiership and championship playing this way.
Nice story though.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:00 pm

jatsad wrote:
I understand every thing everyone one is saying. And I agree the young guys have huge potential. It's just that I don't see any METHOD. If a mark is taken, first thought is to go backwards. If they are in close, first thought is to handball backwards. There hasn't been a decent kick in plan since Leon left and that constantly gets us into trouble.

The doggies are almost as young, but they play with METHOD.
We should release all shackles on the players and let them display their skills. If you are in a position to mark, go for it instead of punching. If you see a pass, hit it straight away instead of fearing a mistake.

Run past for a handball, play on when you mark. Play some exciting football instead of flooding. I constantly see, when it actually does happen, a player break through the middle of the ground, couple of bounces, then they look up, stop and go backwards because there aren't any forwards to kick to.

If this is a game plan, then those collective coaches we have should be embarrassed. Free them up and let them play. You'd be surprised just how much the skills would improve if players were allowed to express their natural ability, instead of been hamstrung into a defensive mindset.

Come on Bucks, Harves, Burnsy. You were all great free flowing players who were magic with the ball in your hands. Coach your team the same way.

Agree but there is actually several parts to that issue.

Firstly, the elite kicking skills of Leon. We haven't seen any of our recruits demonstrate that consistently since his departure.

And secondly the outlet marking. Jolly and Reid in particular could be relied upon to take a contested mark. Cloke is the only player offering that of late. And players like Thomas, Beams, Wellingham, Sidebottom, Pendles and Shaw made space for Leon to hit them up. It was a marriage made in heaven.

We've now lost a large proportion of those gut runners and combine that with the drop in quality of the kick ins and the problem becomes obvious.

Hopefully as some of these kids build their fitness base they'll help this area of our game develop. But lets not forget that the Leon exit plan was probably as good as it gets so anything below that will obviously cause issues.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:22 pm

Defender wrote:
The game plan is a simple one, we put an extra man around the stoppages instead of playing a spare defender

This is not working. It is why we often break even or win the clearances but get slaughtered on the score board against the good teams.
It is where Stats can be very misleading.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:39 pm

Remind me again, which of the "top teams" have slaughtered us on the scoreboard? An answer with special reference to games played other than at Docklands (a ground on which Collingwood's gameplan self-evidently does not work) would be useful.

Richmond beats us by 5 points, Port Adelaide by 3, Fremantle (in the west) by 7 and Hawthorn by 10. In my view, but for some poor finishing in front of goal, Collingwood should have won three of those 4 games. I disliked the execution much more than the gameplan. For example, we got very close to Fremantle despite them killing us around the packs, primarily because the rest of our structure held up well.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Remind me again, which of the "top teams" have slaughtered us on the scoreboard? An answer with special reference to games played other than at Docklands (a ground on which Collingwood's gameplan self-evidently does not work) would be useful.

Richmond beats us by 5 points, Port Adelaide by 3, Fremantle (in the west) by 7 and Hawthorn by 10. In my view, but for some poor finishing in front of goal, Collingwood should have won three of those 4 games. I disliked the execution much more than the gameplan. For example, we got very close to Fremantle despite them killing us around the packs, primarily because the rest of our structure held up well.

Yes slaughtered was a poor choice of words.
But I still don't like the opposition sweeper being unaccountable.

RatsaK Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Bucks says he would tell you the game plan but like Swanny, he "CBF"
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:16 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Yes slaughtered was a poor choice of words.
But I still don't like the opposition sweeper being unaccountable.

Yes, I agree with that but I thought that was, at least in part, a product of the way our forwards position themselves (or, rather, mostly don't) at the fall of the ball - too often, we see Cloke in a three on one marking contest with no-one near to help him when the ball hits the deck and he's out-numbered.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:24 pm

The game plan was go around the boundary then centre it to Shane O'Bree but now its changed.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: