Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match: Pies beat Blues . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Relieving win. Worrying score line, fluid ball movement and U.S., and defensive capabilities.

Still spewing we didnt draft Cripps. Prototype modern footballer who reads the play well and racks up possies. Derek must be losing sleep over that one.
Boot 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:18 am

What a relief to finally win a game, and whilst it was an ugly win it would have been a much uglier defeat if we had lost to what really is an inept Carlton team. Still always good to beat Carlton!!

I thought Marsh did enough to probably hold his spot, it would appear that Marsh, Goldsack and Sharenberg are battling for the one spot. I thought Marsh didn't look as fast as I had hoped he would be. He has some body strength that adds to the backline stability but the defense was still put under some pressure by a very average Carlton team. We will have to be much better to have any chance against the Swans in Sydney.

With Sinclair in the team at least there is a bit more speed and run out of the backline, but they still seem to handball themselves into trouble too much for my liking. With Sinclair back it was interesting to see Marley Williams in the center for a while. Marley has to learn to simply blast the ball forward if he has the chance from the center bounce, a couple of times he tried to be too pin pointed when the more experienced players know what sort of pressure there is in that area of the game.

We have an abundance of HBF's. Langdon, Toovey, Scharenberg, Sinclair, Williams and now Marsh. I suspect that the ones with the best disposal will get the job in coming years and that at least one will be used in trade deals at the end of this year, most likely Scharenberg going back to Adelaide. At least they should feel obliged to pay a decent swap or draft pick for him as clearly he is going to be a good player. The fact that Williams was played in the middle and Langdon went forward for periods of time in the last quarter shows Bucks is thinking of the future for those two and trialling what else they may add to the team.

I thought Grundy was good, but Kruzer is a class ruckman who can tap to advantage better than Grundy can at this stage of their careers. Hard to see Bucks playing two ruckman again until the sub rule is done away with next year. Just hope Darcy Moore isn't broken during a center square rucking dual this year!!

It will be interesting to see a forward line of Cloke, Reid, Moore, Elliot, Faz and Swan / Degoey / Blair. Darcy Moore has a long way to go to reach his potential but all the signs are that he will be a > 200 game star of the future and center piece of the Collingwood team for the next decade. The fact that Bucks let him go into the ruck to give Grundy a break means that he is the Leigh Brown replacement and as long as he is able to put on some weight to his upper body over the next couple of years he should be a beauty!

The center clearances look a worry for us. Despite a line-up of Adams, Greenwood and Pendlebury in the middle today we seemed to lose the clearance battle to Murphy, Cripps and Carazzo more often than not. Hopefully we will get better at this as Greenwood gets more games into him. Against the strength of Sydney we will be tested in this dept.

Great to see Carlton put to the sword again. Never surrender, never give up hope and always hate Carlton! Go Pies!!

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:43 am

Boot wrote:

I thought Marsh did enough to probably hold his spot, it would appear that Marsh, Goldsack and Sharenberg are battling for the one spot.

After waiting almost two seasons to see Marsh get his chance, I thought there were some pleasing signs with his ability to win the ball and back his judgement. He had an opponent though, who kicked 4 goals. He'll learn a lot from his first game. I hope he holds his spot.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:07 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Gotta Love Marsh and Moore Pumping the Song Out:

The phrase 'sung with gusto' is bandied about all too often nowadays, but.....

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:12 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Boot wrote:

I thought Marsh did enough to probably hold his spot, it would appear that Marsh, Goldsack and Sharenberg are battling for the one spot.

After waiting almost two seasons to see Marsh get his chance, I thought there were some pleasing signs with his ability to win the ball and back his judgement. He had an opponent though, who kicked 4 goals. He'll learn a lot from his first game. I hope he holds his spot.

Marsh is a beauty, and if his rate of improvement from the last 2 years is repeated in 2016/17, he will be as good as we have in the back half.

Sharenberg has the poise of a much older man, it will be a real shame if we lose him, worse than Daisy, Beams or Wellers in my view.

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:49 am

I have on occasion questioned the selection panel - but credit must go this week for the team selection.

All in's performed well. Sinkers and Marsh had some real pace and attack on the footy was good also from Blair - of course - but he did mark and with Reid made the Collingwood forward line a lot more potent.

Our mids did a good job - I agree that Cripps from the bloozers looks a beauty however we are back to a team that compete now. Our forward line the last few weeks has not looked capable. Just need some confidence and more flow with our game - but that will come. Just like we do against Carlton we have a good record against the Swans Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:25 am

cityslick1 wrote:
Relieving win. Worrying score line, fluid ball movement and U.S., and defensive capabilities.

Still spewing we didnt draft Cripps. Prototype modern footballer who reads the play well and racks up possies. Derek must be losing sleep over that one.

Doubt it. He was tipped to go between picks 20 to 40 before the 2013. He was considered at that time to be a slow, contested ball-winner, with a poor beep test result. He's performed better than that. You can't draft them all (unless you're GWS and hold the first 83 picks in each draft) and, if you stop to think about it sensibly, it's obvious that if you have two picks in the top 20, there are 18 other players who are going to be selected in that range, so chances are there'll be some good ones among them.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:30 am

Boot wrote:
What a relief to finally win a game, and whilst it was an ugly win it would have been a much uglier defeat if we had lost to what really is an inept Carlton team. Still always good to beat Carlton!!

I thought Marsh did enough to probably hold his spot, it would appear that Marsh, Goldsack and Sharenberg are battling for the one spot. I thought Marsh didn't look as fast as I had hoped he would be. He has some body strength that adds to the backline stability but the defense was still put under some pressure by a very average Carlton team. We will have to be much better to have any chance against the Swans in Sydney.

With Sinclair in the team at least there is a bit more speed and run out of the backline, but they still seem to handball themselves into trouble too much for my liking. With Sinclair back it was interesting to see Marley Williams in the center for a while. Marley has to learn to simply blast the ball forward if he has the chance from the center bounce, a couple of times he tried to be too pin pointed when the more experienced players know what sort of pressure there is in that area of the game.

We have an abundance of HBF's. Langdon, Toovey, Scharenberg, Sinclair, Williams and now Marsh. I suspect that the ones with the best disposal will get the job in coming years and that at least one will be used in trade deals at the end of this year, most likely Scharenberg going back to Adelaide. At least they should feel obliged to pay a decent swap or draft pick for him as clearly he is going to be a good player. The fact that Williams was played in the middle and Langdon went forward for periods of time in the last quarter shows Bucks is thinking of the future for those two and trialling what else they may add to the team.

I thought Grundy was good, but Kruzer is a class ruckman who can tap to advantage better than Grundy can at this stage of their careers. Hard to see Bucks playing two ruckman again until the sub rule is done away with next year. Just hope Darcy Moore isn't broken during a center square rucking dual this year!!

It will be interesting to see a forward line of Cloke, Reid, Moore, Elliot, Faz and Swan / Degoey / Blair. Darcy Moore has a long way to go to reach his potential but all the signs are that he will be a > 200 game star of the future and center piece of the Collingwood team for the next decade. The fact that Bucks let him go into the ruck to give Grundy a break means that he is the Leigh Brown replacement and as long as he is able to put on some weight to his upper body over the next couple of years he should be a beauty!

The center clearances look a worry for us. Despite a line-up of Adams, Greenwood and Pendlebury in the middle today we seemed to lose the clearance battle to Murphy, Cripps and Carazzo more often than not. Hopefully we will get better at this as Greenwood gets more games into him. Against the strength of Sydney we will be tested in this dept.

Great to see Carlton put to the sword again. Never surrender, never give up hope and always hate Carlton! Go Pies!!

Since Langdon is going to be the captain when Pendlebury retires, the coach needs to give him the necessary experience around the ground.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:57 pm

Tannin wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Steve86 wrote:
they were on average 2 years older then us.. Many lols. WE are going to be pretty dam good in 1-2 years.

Average Age and Average Games Played:
Collingwood - 23 years, 10 months and 80.5 average games experience
Carlton - 25 years, 6 months and 86.1 average games experience

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6118

Yep, we'll be as good as The Scum in two years time!! The way we played today, it might not take that long.

^Pissed myself laughing at that. I do not agree with it, but it was bloody funny.

I'm glad someone took it the way it was intended!!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:16 pm

I forgot to note the good game played by Sinclair. Particularly in the first half, he provided great run and carry. To be a good side we need he, Williams and Varcoe to take the game on and break the lines. Given that neither of our main on-ballers (apart from Swanny) in Pendles, Sidey, Adams, Crisp and Greenwood are particularly fast, we need speed elsewhere on the ground and Sinclair gives us that. Hopefully his hammies hold up for the rest of the season.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:21 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I forgot to note the good game played by Sinclair. Particularly in the first half, he provided great run and carry. To be a good side we need he, Williams and Varcoe to take the game on and break the lines. Given that neither of our main on-ballers (apart from Swanny) in Pendles, Sidey, Adams, Crisp and Greenwood are particularly fast, we need speed elsewhere on the ground and Sinclair gives us that. Hopefully his hammies hold up for the rest of the season.

Agree Rudeboy - there were a few times we looked like kicking it back or sideways and potentially turning to over and instead Sinkers just ran forward and created something from nothing.

His pace is very much needed - however he should remain in the back half - his shot on goal was a reminder of that Smile

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:45 pm

I want to see Maynard, Scharenberg, Langdon and perhaps Marsh keep playing down back with Brown and Varcoe down there providing some experience as we pump games into those four youngsters. I hope one or two of those four force Toovs, Goldy out next year. Then Wiiliams can move up the ground more like yesterday at times. I'm not 100% sold on Frost anymore. Maybe Marsh can take his spot one day and actually provide some fast rebound.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Haven't watched a replay yet so just some initial thoughts. Take the win, good to see Sinkers and Reid back, Marsh did enough without setting the world on fire. Our game remains mistake riddled gifting them way too many goals.

Our major concern remains the midfield. Kruezer fairly convincingly beat Grundy and the 40+% of hitouts to advantage v 22% for us hurt. Grundy's ball use also a major issue going at about 55% DE.

Moore again had little impact, might come down to a choice between him and White for the Sydney game, especially if Cloke returns.

Scharenberg again looked poised when he got his chance, even offered some run and carry which is what we've been waiting for.

Maynard offered pretty equal measures of good and face palm moments. Happy to see him persisted with.

Greenwood keeps improving. A very solid game.

Sidey continues to be the most frustrating player on our list.

Frosty and Brown solid without dominating, keeping Casboult's and Henderson impact to a minimum.

Elliott and Fas both very solid. Need to repeat that against Sydney.

Hope Adams corkie isn't too bad.

Great to have the VFL curtain raiser although the time of the game was an issue as was the time between games.

White, PK, Kennedy and Witts put their hands up for a senior game.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:58 pm

About what I expected. We played pretty well individually but not so great as a team, there have been too many recent changes for us to show much cohesiveness. The lost confidence over the last 5 weeks also had an impact.

Great to see Sinclair and Reid back. Both did very well and showed what we've been missing. Reid's strong marking and Sinclair's run have been something this team has needed for a while.

Marsh was good with his attack on the ball but if Everitt really did kick 4 on him, that's not so good. Only the 10 touches to Scharenberg's 9 despite the latter only playing a quarter. Has the pace, strength, height and attitude though, so looks very likely to make it as a player.

It will be interesting to see who we go with next week. Do we pick a team to win or err on the side of development?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:02 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

It will be interesting to see who we go with next week. Do we pick a team to win or err on the side of development?

both but predominantly to win. given the scg is small there is not a lot of space for forwards to run in to. park a tall or two in the goal square, send the ball in and get the smalls to mop up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: