Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The weird, the wacky and the wonderful!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

During the 80's there was a Collingwood trainer at Vic Park who when a match got tight in the last quarter would run up and down the boundary line
fanning the supporters with a big towel.
The crowd loved it! It whipped the supporters into a frenzy and a huge roar
went around the ground when he got up and started waving the towel.
Fast forward to 2015 and do you ever think a trainer would be so unprofessional as to get the crowd excited in this manner?
He would be sacked! This is just a continuation of the creeping sterile and boring nature of football today.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:48 pm

Wet and boring Saturday in Melbourne so I thought I would bump my story about the elephant at North Melbourne.
I bumped it because of the thread on the rules for outside the boundary line.
And I posted my weird experience at a country footy match.
Anyway, any more weird and wacky stories out there?

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:10 pm

I put $10 on the Roos to win between 70-79 points @26.00 last night and they brought home the bacon for Papa Bear!!

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:12 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:
I put $10 on the Roos to win between 70-79 points @26.00 last night and they brought home the bacon for Papa Bear!!

You are a legend at betting the last few weeks
You should change your name to the "Sage of the TAB"!

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:39 pm

thompsoc wrote:
I bloody miss Vic Park!!!!

YEP, I loved the old gal, despite the blocked toilets with urine all over the shop, cold pies, luke warm hot dogs, millions of beer cans, and nowhere to park the VW Beetle I had back then. ! My fave memory is the day we set fire to the Essendon floggers, they burned like buggery, upset their fans no end, we then kicked their ass by around eight goals. Back to the retreat hotel, six pots of ale,then fired up the Volksy and drove back home, half pissed by very,very happy. Razz Cool

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

YEP, I loved the old gal, despite the blocked toilets with urine all over the shop, cold pies, luke warm hot dogs, millions of beer cans, and nowhere to park the VW Beetle I had back then. ! My fave memory is the day we set fire to the Essendon floggers, they burned like buggery, upset their fans no end, we then kicked their ass by around eight goals. Back to the retreat hotel, six pots of ale,then fired up the Volksy and drove back home, half pissed by very,very happy. Razz Cool

Did you flick the match at the floggers?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:55 pm
Post subject: Re: The weird, the wacky and the wonderful!Reply with quote

thompsoc wrote:
Well I have had enough of all this heavy crap on Nicks of late.
Lets go back in time and remember the good the bad and the ugly
or more precisely the wonderful, the wacky and the just plain weird
that you have witnessed in football.
I will start off by my visit years ago to that hostile place Arden street North Melbourne.
To promote a circus in town a large elephant was paraded on the ground I think at half time
dressed in the colours of North.
When the great Pie team run back onto the ground a large BOOOO went up. This spooked the elephant
and off he went right towards where I was standing next to an open gate.
It occurred to me very quickly that I might get trampled at the footy by a rogue elephant.
It was one of the few times in my life that I actually feared for my life.
How friggin unlucky could you be! But lucky the elephant stopped and was quietly and quickly taken away.
No elephant has ever been to an AFL game since.
Now did I mention the BOOOOO and Adam wasn’t even born then!

I was there that day with my Pop, who was born in Collingwood in 1906. He was an old school working class battler who hated coppers. Anyway, when the trainer brought the elephant out on to the ground, it was soon clear that the elephant was getting a bit spooked by the crowd. I then remember a policeman going up and grabbing the trainers arm and talking to him. I then remember my Pop saying "if that f*ckin copper doesn't leave the elephant alone he'll run amok!" Next thing, the elephant reared up on its back legs, broke free from the trainer and made a stampede for the exit. We could see people frantically jumping out of the way, as someone managed to open the exit gate just in time. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, but also one of the scariest.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:02 pm

You were on the other side of the ground Rudeboy and I was next to gate!
I freaked out!
But how good was the 70's.
No Health and Safety officials then!

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:55 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

Did you flick the match at the floggers?

Nah, not me mate, but one of my crazy buddies may have been the culprit, we were right behind the dons cheer squad, yarra falls end goals, and he vanished for a few minutes, and came back grinning hugely. Laughing

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:14 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

I was at that game, my memory, bit vague, was some of their cretins ran through our run through banner and in revenge we did likewise and set fire to their floggers.
The game must have been delayed for some time as we were all on the field whilst everything settled down.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

I was at that game, my memory, bit vague, was some of their cretins ran through our run through banner and in revenge we did likewise and set fire to their floggers.
The game must have been delayed for some time as we were all on the field whilst everything settled down.

Yeh, it was like that, a real hoot, LOL, and I also recall the game was absolutely packed, like sardines in a can, in the standing room, there were people sitting on top of the old Rush stand, and perched in trees outside the ground, must have been 50 000 in there that day, you could not get to the loo, so we had to pee into an empty beer can and dump it at our feet. LOL, those were the days. Laughing Laughing

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:03 am

I also remember a Vic Park peeing incident from the 1970's .We fought our way onto the crowded platform after the game just as an old red rattler was leaving the station. Luckily we were at the back as those at the front had no way of avoiding what was coming at them. There was a drunk standing in the open doorway of the departing train, pants at half mast, expelling all of the beer consumed at the game. He had drunk a lot & those at the front copped a lot. They could see it coming but could do nothing about it.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:05 am

thompsoc wrote:
You were on the other side of the ground Rudeboy and I was next to gate!
I freaked out!
But how good was the 70's.
No Health and Safety officials then!

Yes indeed thomsoc. You must have been on the northern wing, in front of the gasometer, while I was on the other side, near the forward pocket of the goals to your left. Those were the days.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:28 am

My fondest memory isn't based in Victoria it was early 1990's maybe 91 Peter Daicos v the Brisbane bears.
He kicked 13-1 gave off a couple to Morwood and Matthews put him on the bench in the last term for around 10 minutes when I thought he could have kicked 20
He was simply ridiculous he really had it on a string
I remember him being in the pocket 2 bears players trying to corner him so he holds the pill out in 1 hand like offering it to the bear player pulls it back steps outside him towards the boundary line spins back in board around the second bear and then kicks it from 20 out on a tight angle then just looks back at 2 bears players laying prone on the ground
Glorious simply glorious
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:58 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
My fondest memory isn't based in Victoria it was early 1990's maybe 91 Peter Daicos v the Brisbane bears.
He kicked 13-1 gave off a couple to Morwood and Matthews put him on the bench in the last term for around 10 minutes when I thought he could have kicked 20
He was simply ridiculous he really had it on a string
I remember him being in the pocket 2 bears players trying to corner him so he holds the pill out in 1 hand like offering it to the bear player pulls it back steps outside him towards the boundary line spins back in board around the second bear and then kicks it from 20 out on a tight angle then just looks back at 2 bears players laying prone on the ground
Glorious simply glorious

THAT was the day, Daicos apologized to the Bears full back, he felt sorry for him. Shocked Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: