Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tactical failure

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:40 pm
Post subject: Tactical failureReply with quote

My opinion I gave at the footy last weekend re the most impressive team this year was the Bulldogs .

Their game is based on progression of the Hawks game plan.

In packs there are at least 4 players on the outer covering a circle so their player with the ball can effectively handball out to one of them .
This is done with lightning efficiency
With the four players in a circle it makes it difficult for opposition to get the ball out .

In play they are doing the Hawthorn trick of spreading out and using all of the ground to make space for a pass and this is done at speed .

In tight play their players are always running to get open for a pass .

The football is hot so they must get rid of it in an instance so the opposition have less chance to get possession .

There are other aspects of their game plan that are outstanding as well .

At the beginning of the year I mentioned that Collingwood ’s game plan is static .

This is one of many problems with their game plan .

I find that their plan is out dated AND MUST BE UPDATED

SKILL IN MOVING THE BALL TO TARGETS MOVING TO OPEN SPACES IS EASIER

THAN

THE KICKER WAITING AND WAITING THEN KICKING TO STATIC TARGETS THAT ARE MANNED UP BY OPPOSITION PLAYERS WHO HAVE HAD TIME TO GO ONE ON ONE

I have always been a fan of Buckley however now I feel he and his coaches are NOT playing today’s football .

Up until the Bulldogs game we had won many and had 4 “ honourable “ loses .

The Bulldogs and the Demons were then going to be the start of more wins .

Melbourne won by playing the Hawthorn game plan .

So if is good enough for them and the Bulldogs why not adopt it as well with some slight changes that progress that plan

In Soccer at major clubs in Europe they employ people who are experts in tactical play and the tops in their field get paid as much as the coaches some getting +$10mill AUD per year . So their are many successful game plans . At anyone time in Aussie rules there seems to be one “ new “ tactic that all clubs then try to follow as per HAWTHORN. .

CFC players are now tired . In some positions there is no back up in VFL . CFC has more mids than they need . They lack back up Forwards and Backmen . Each week SWAN/ the side Bottom / PENDLES .

Now is the time to start thinking of next year and work out who in the VFL can play AFL Marsch / Karnesis / Abbott and others whose names come up in the best each week .

BUT the game plan must also be updated .

If not then the unthinkable get new coaches , something I thought I would never say .

PROGRESSIVE TACTICS IS THE KEY

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes at Etihad - Wait till finals time and the MCG and NO tall forwards...you'll get your answer soon.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Up until 3 weeks ago there was nothing wrong with our game plan. The bottom line is we've become more static as we have lost confidence and we appear to have become mentally fatigued.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:59 pm

sem, no question there were tactical blunders on Saturday but as Grant Thomas put it, we contributed as much to our loss as Melbourne did to their win. In other words were totally and utterly pathetic with the ball - which has zilch to do with game plan (case in point Fas's kick on the AFL Members wing when he had a man to kick to and dropped it short for an easy intercept mark - that's not tactics... it's crap skills).

Melbourne played well in patches but let's be honest... 14 more inside 50s. If you're getting that much more of the ball inside your forward 50 you have to be doing something right. The fact that we could only get a scoring shot 35% of the time says a lot about where our issues are.

We lost contested possessions. That's not a skill thing per se, it's an attitude thing.

I'm slightly scared that Bucks has now come out and said our list won't mature for another 3 years. We'll be down to 50,000 members if we play too many more games like Saturdays!!

sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:18 pm

GoWoodsmen

You say we lost contested possession and that not a skill thing its an attitude thing .

Well i partly agree /if you play at that level you MUST have the Attitude to to be at 100% BUT tactical NOUSE will put players also in correct positions to better be able to get the ball .

Yes Demons played well they had a better tactical approach than CFC so see what i wrote above re this .

in the end we both want the best for CFC

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:30 pm

As I said last week, the Welfare is, statistically, 50 points better at Docklands than away (the differential is still about the same after they kicked another 127 against the Bumblers there, yesterday). If we'd played them at the MCG (with a forward line) we would have beaten them. At Docklands, it's hopeless.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:53 pm
Post subject: Re: TACTICAL FAILUREReply with quote

sem wrote:
Their game is based on progression of the Hawks game plan.
In packs there are at least 4 players on the outer covering a circle so their player with the ball can effectively handball out to one of them .
This is done with lightning efficiency
With the four players in a circle it makes it difficult for opposition to get the ball out.

Hawthorn rarely hand-ball the ball from a pack.
As you say they set up a ring of players, one of whom goes in after the ball.
But he isn't looking for a hand-ball, hand-balls mean taking possession and you can get caught and it eats up an extra 2 or 3 seconds of time so they don't.
Instead they tap or push the ball along in front of themselves and when the bounce is right hit it to the out-riders and Bang they are away!
The extra amount of time to collect and dish out the pill also gives the opposition defenders more to time to mark their opponents and limit any fast breaks.
I've watched us and wondered why don't do this and the only answer I can up with is our players aren't big enough to play that style of game (small players are bumped out of the way too easily) but when our guy's go in for the disputed ball they invariably try and take possession and fire it out by hand, hitting it out is only a last resort.
If Buck's want's us to play that way he is going to start drafting some big bodied players that can burst through a pack or break a tackle because the current game plan just isn't coping with speed that these 2 clubs now move the ball.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
Yes at Etihad - Wait till finals time and the MCG and NO tall forwards...you'll get your answer soon.

Tend to agree and their defensive group work really well at leaving their man at the right time. It will be a lot harder to get that right when the opposition separate the Dogs defenders on the bigger grounds.

They have been bloody good though.
sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:44 pm

i agree with 3.14159 that hawthorn get the ball out the way they do and they do a lot more and so do most teams ahead CFC on the ladder now.

That further means that the hardest thing to teach is tactical advantage .

So great teams with great coaches can better their performance by developing tactics that match their abilities . CFC does not .

A tactician is there to develop a game plan for the cattle you have .

One step i would take is not play players who are young and not ready and there have been a few , let them serve time in VFL and get good in VFL for the rest of the year .

Another is use WILLIAMS as a mid as well as VARCOE .
Imagine the two of them getting into a pack trying to get a ball out .
They have no fear and tackle and run hard .

i will never have any doubts about SWAN and last week he was one of the best again BUT he has an ability to kick a goal and i would put him in the forward line .
He has worked his Butt off for CFC now let the others do his work and he will kick 2 or 3 every week . We need him forever .

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:52 pm
Post subject: HeyReply with quote

Our game plan is deliberately developmental. For goodness sake when will you people listen to Bucks and the professional experts at our Club that are paid to do a job. They do not need armchair experts telling them that we are tactically inferior to Footscray. Totally different concepts. You can't compare Donkey's to Thoroughbreds. Then bitch about why the Donkey doesn't win a Melbourne Cup.

Now I am not saying we are Donkey's, far from it. What I am saying is we need to have faith in Bucks and the team. They will deliver.

If you are unhappy then stop buying your membership. We need loyal fans, not ones who constantly undermine the great Coach we are very lucky to have.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:55 pm
Post subject: Re: HeyReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
Our game plan is deliberately developmental. For goodness sake when will you people listen to Bucks and the professional experts at our Club that are paid to do a job. They do not need armchair experts telling them that we are tactically inferior to Footscray. Totally different concepts. You can't compare Donkey's to Thoroughbreds. Then bitch about why the Donkey doesn't win a Melbourne Cup.

Now I am not saying we are Donkey's, far from it. What I am saying is we need to have faith in Bucks and the team. They will deliver.

If you are unhappy then stop buying your membership. We need loyal fans, not ones who constantly undermine the great Coach we are very lucky to have.

There's absolutely no evidence that he's a great coach.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:14 pm
Post subject: Re: HeyReply with quote

Defender wrote:
Hiss wrote:

There's absolutely no evidence that he's a great coach.

Have you ever spoken to him? No! Then how to you say he is not a great coach? Compared to who? Voss? You are required to support your coach as a member or otherwise you are in effect providing support to opposition clubs through your white anting of Bucks. That is treason.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:44 pm

The OP cites the Bulldogs as the most impressive team of 2015. I tend to agree.
But to start 2015 the Bulldogs had;
- sacked their coach Brendan McCartney
- appointed a coach who was untried at senior coaching in Luke Beveridge
- had their captain Ryan Griffin walk out to GWS
- traded away a Brownlow Medallist in Adam Cooney
- traded out a pretty decent player in Shaun Higgins
- lost their 2014 Best & Fairest Tom Liberatore for the whole of 2015
Despite what many believed to be a potential train wreck, they have shown you how quickly things can develop when you get total buy in and the development of quality youth kicks in.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:35 pm

sem wrote:
i agree with 3.14159 that hawthorn get the ball out the way they do and they do a lot more and so do most teams ahead CFC on the ladder now.

That further means that the hardest thing to teach is tactical advantage .

So great teams with great coaches can better their performance by developing tactics that match their abilities . CFC does not .

A tactician is there to develop a game plan for the cattle you have .

One step i would take is not play players who are young and not ready and there have been a few , let them serve time in VFL and get good in VFL for the rest of the year .

Another is use WILLIAMS as a mid as well as VARCOE .
Imagine the two of them getting into a pack trying to get a ball out .
They have no fear and tackle and run hard .

i will never have any doubts about SWAN and last week he was one of the best again BUT he has an ability to kick a goal and i would put him in the forward line .
He has worked his Butt off for CFC now let the others do his work and he will kick 2 or 3 every week . We need him forever .

I really like this analysis and insight.

Visdom 

Success takes planning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:08 pm
Post subject: No discernible transition planReply with quote

The basic elements of football are:

1. Contested ball
2. Retarding opposition possession and movement
3. Effect transition with the ball from the back thru mid and forward

In 2012 Collingwood was still using the Malthouse transition. In recent years the transition plan is not discernible. In 2014 we started kick-in with two back pockets on the boundary line 20 metres from the kicker. This had us two men down in the rest of the ground. Thank god we got ride of this tactic as it demonstrated a lack of understanding of the current game. This year we want to handball through congestion. It worked early. This is not a strategy, it is a simple tactic that is easy to shut down.

Players are too defensively minded. Our boys appear reluctant to run hard off their opponent when we have the ball in case it turns over. Thus, there are limited targets going forward. When there is a target we lack the confidence to hit it. Instead we over possess the ball usually resulting in a turnover much closer to the opposition goals.

The modern game is like chess. Its all about moves and counter moves to open space in a particular part of the ground. This improves a teams ability to successfully transition the ball, improves the quality of inside 50's, improves disposal efficiency, improve scoring opportunities, and allows a team to start the defensive process further away from the opposition's goal.

I admire the players and coaches ability to get the players to commit to contested ball and high tackle numbers. We rely too much on turnovers and stoppages inside forward 50 to score.

Kicking long to marking contest on the wing will not work because Cloke is the only player who can consistently take a contested mark. White, Grundy, and Witts do not take enough contested marks to all play in the same team. Their collection inclusion exposes the team's ground ball and running ability.

We need to create space and run harder in offence to promote more efficient ball movement and scoring opportunities. IF we need to use a small forward line from time to time we need to hit up short kicks) or even deliver ground balls (radical tactic - like NRL last tackle) to upset opposition defensive setups. We have recruited all these short asses. We need to use them to our advantage when they are in the same team.

Buckley says aim for perfection and settle for excellence. Ignoring offensive transition makes a joke of this motto. When your visiting your mother in law in Rowville Bucks, drop into Waverley Park and watch Hawthorn train. Their ability to open space with simple rules has made it easier for their players to make decisions under pressure and move the ball with less risk. This is a difficult games style to defeat. Under this game plan, if you win the contested ball you win the game.

Our football operations department have a lot of work to do. This takes a season or more to perfect so we need to get going.

Perfection, you have got to be joking. Don't blame the players, they are working bloody hard. I think we need new assistant coaches to bring new ideas to the club.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: