Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The game has lost me

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I am sick of seeing all players invading one end of the ground. There is no offside rule in AFL and no zones so why do coaches insist on this?
This style of play where you get the ball over the back but are then 100 metres from goal and then have to retreat is crazy. Can we at least recruit someone like Garlett or Jetta who can outsprint his opponent over 100 metres. At the moment if any of our players get the ball out the back they seem to be too afraid to sprint towards our goal. We must be worst in the comp when this occurs. It's damn ugly.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:55 am
Post subject: Re: The game has lost meReply with quote

On the March wrote:
Went to the game today for the first time in a long time. What was served up, by both sides, was an abomination. I wont be back.

What have they done to the game I loved? Sad

And believe me this has nothing to do with the fact we lost.

Let's face it ... today's game wasn't exactly the match of the season.

I know you say it has nothing to do with the result, but would you be honestly feeling the same if you'd just witnessed us beating Hawthorn in a thriller?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:19 am

The biggest concern for mine is that the game is not appealing to a new generation of supporters as it is soccer (football) that is appealing to young impressionable kids. Most people who follow the AFL currently do so because they fell in love with the tribal aspect of the game and the fact that games used to be entertaining to watch. I started to love AFL and the Pies about 15 years ago but of course much of this influence came from my parents and uncles/aunts who loved the game but the game I watched and grew up with is not the game I see today.

Apart from the odd game here and there that is entertaining and resembles something out of the 1990s and early 2000s there's absolutely nothing appealing about football today. The contests are congested, full-forwards as we used to know them do not exist anymore, stoppages have increased significantly and the AFL has destroyed the passion of the terraces.

Now all we see is a game filled with boredom due to the evolving tactical nature of the game, terraces with little noise or passion and so many political and governance issues at the moment such as the Adam Goodes saga and the Essendon's drug supplement scandal.

Yesterday just felt strange! Everyone seemed flat from the players to the supporters. Even though Melbourne fans were happy with the victory they didn't seem to get into the game either apart from the moments they were kicking goals! It was just flat all round and who would have thought Collingwood would become one of the quieter clubs of the competition. It saddens me to see what it's become and with only 37,000 attending on a beautiful Saturday afternoon something is seriously wrong. I was expecting us to attract a minimum of 40,000 and hoping to push 50,000 but we were nowhere near the target despite boasting about having 70,000 members.

If something doesn't change the AFL is in serious trouble and Victorian supporters are voting on their feet at the moment. It frightens me to think what it will be like in 10 years let alone in say 20 to 30 years from now.

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:27 am
Post subject: YeahReply with quote

Look when Bertha and I first had sex behind the Corio Cricket Ground Nets it was awesome. Now years later I don't bother. She is boring and dull. Overweight and unable to perform to my expectations. I prefer my neighbours wife who is a lot younger and loves Aussie guys like me.

Your dissatisfaction with our team is no different. You need more stimulation. They are tired and boring.

You need to find a new spark in your lives. Try Tindr

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:49 am

The thing that has bothered me most of the season has been the inconsistent umpiring, and the poor decisions made regarding holding the ball. We did play terrible as well, that I cannot deny and the umpiring didn't really impact on the result it was just the annoyance value of seeing so many missed calls.

I do not blame the umpires for the most part, the chopping and changing of the interpretation of the rules have them confused as much as the rest of us. Then during tonight's Roos/Blues game they were talking there were more possible changes for next season regarding the centre bounce.

This is what has me losing a lot of interest in the game, unneeded changes to try and make something better that never needed it. Once the siren sounded today I wasn't disappointed, or upset, to me it was just "meh." and I moved on.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:23 am

I remember my old Pop complaining in the 90s that football has changed and it's all set up by the administrators, much the same as we are now. I took him to a game at Vic Park, I think against the Eagles and I was in love with the whole thing... he quietly went home at 3/4 time and I don't think went to another game for the rest of his life.

Maybe those feelings that used to happen when people were past 60 now hit a bit earlier. Maybe my Pop's pop thought the same thing watching games in the 50s? Who knows, but the way my old Pop looked at the game that afternoon at Vic Park is the look in my eyes now. Sadness for what's gone and will never come back, our grandkids may well think the same about the game in 30 or so years time.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:33 am

Maybe if the morons at afl house left the game as it was none of this would happpen the sub rule and the other rule changes killed the game
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:44 am

too much like soccer…
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:47 am
Post subject: Re: YeahReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
Look when Bertha and I first had sex behind the Corio Cricket Ground Nets it was awesome. Now years later I don't bother. She is boring and dull. Overweight and unable to perform to my expectations. I prefer my neighbours wife who is a lot younger and loves Aussie guys like me.

Your dissatisfaction with our team is no different. You need more stimulation. They are tired and boring.

You need to find a new spark in your lives. Try Tindr

That would of put a few batsmen off their game…

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:24 am

I only care if we win or lose. The problem is there are too many casual viewers watching several games each week end who have no emotional investment in the outcome. They just want an entertaining spectacle and complain when they don't get one. Maybe they should just watch their team play and do something else with their time instead of watching games between teams they don't care about.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:51 am

The game was ruined when they expanded the bench to 4 players and allowed continuous rotations. This meant it became a game just for fast running players. We should go back to once you're off, you're off.
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:58 am

1990s footy was good but I have more fond memories of the 1980s.

AFL footy 2015 style sure is a different animal. The game has always evolved though. Who knows what it'll be like in another decade?

MM

Museman 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:20 am

RudeBoy wrote:
The game was ruined when they expanded the bench to 4 players and allowed continuous rotations. This meant it became a game just for fast running players. We should go back to once you're off, you're off.

Yup.
On the March 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:35 am

Well one example. The endless packs where players are allowed to throw the ball, hold onto the ball and then somehow the ball eventually emerges into space. Now because everyone is in the same part of the ground a single player can run the whole length of the ground on a fast break; even if they dont kick the goal themselves, those that hang back reap the reward. There is no skill in that except speed. Think Jeff Garlett
On the March 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:38 am

As for umpiring I have given up. I have been watching the game for almost 50 years and they still cant get it right. Its a nonsense. The number of times players genuinely held the ball or just dropped it when tackled or disposed incorrectly was a joke, Yet when 3-4 players pile on top of you and you dont pretend to handball - yup thats a free - bullshit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: