Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Crowd of 37,894 against Melbourne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss me yet?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:12 am

Well, it's plainly our supporters who have dropped off. I can say that with confidence because I saw both Melbourne supporters arrive as I walked to the ground.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Our supporters drop off after a row of losses and the reality sets in that this year we will not threaten. Every group of supporters does. We can just be thankful that we have such a large core of members who invest their cash in high value memberships every year and keep us in a strong financial position.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Yes, except that the quality of the game itself is now staring to threaten that. I am a long-standing Legends member - I've been to three or four games, at most, this year - and I've left three of those early. I thought about giving up the membership at the end of last season but decided to watch again this year but I'm again thinking I may as well toss it because the game itself bores me.

In the old days, I would sit and watch Collingwood through thick and thin (every minute of every game in 1976, for example) because the contest and skill was always evident - and it didn't matter how far your team was behind there was always the prospect of a great mark, great goal or great individual effort from one of your favourites, or even from a Knights or a Jesaulenko or a Quinlan or a Dempsey or a Bartlett against your team. I just don't think the contest and skill is so evident anymore - at least, not in a way I care about. It was the contest I loved - player against player (I can even remember listening avidly to one Essendon v North game when Glendinning and Van Der Haar were pitted against each other - there's no way I would listen to a non-Collingwood game, now). Consequently, my last genuine favourite was Heater - he was capable of doing, literally, anything one-on-one against anybody on a given day. I think my real Collingwood heart may have been broken irreparably when he left.

I may be alone in this view but there have been few Collingwood supporters more rabid than me over the journey and I doubt that I'm anywhere near alone in doubting whether there is still any reason to bother.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Football has lost it's passion. The corporates and suits have slowly killed the life out of the game.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:55 pm

I agree. I don't think the coaches have helped, though.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:56 pm

You and I are on the same wavelength, like it's going to pass under land about a block of me it starts to the west on an alignment parallel with Queensberry St and then seems to do a dog-leg north-ish to get to near the haymarket roundabout Flemington RdGrattan StRoyal Parade spot which is I assume the logical cheap place to put the Parkville station.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm an mcg legends member and I have to admit that the love for the game I once had is not as strong as it used to be. Once upon a time I'd watch a whole weekend of football regardless of who was playing such was my passion for football. Now I find the game to be ugly and, at most times, difficult to watch. It's over analysed, mediated and officiated.

Sure we're not doing well at the moment but that's not why interest has waned. I've always supported us through the good times and bad - that's what supporting your team is all about. I just don't get excited about football like I used to and I don't know if it's It's because the quality and standard has dropped or for other reasons. I hate this obsession with changing the game and re-interpretation of rules year after year. Throw in an equalization tax and teams like the bribane beggars whinging for a free ride from the afl and melscum with their hands out. It's no longer a fans game anymore.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:29 pm

5 losses in a row, melbourne on a non queens birthday and forecast of 12 and wet will do it most times.
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Wonder if part of it is also that we've lost a lot of 2010 favourites/crowd favourites

The 2010 team was a very "Collingwood" team, if that makes sense. It was cheeky, had rat-bags, had guys who'd stuffed up and come back. This team is very young, we aren't as invested in them yet. Plus it has a lot of players from other clubs, and free agency and trades makes it easier to leave a la Beams.

I think people aren't as invested in the people playing in the jumper anymore, because they could leave at a moments notice. Loyalty isn't a big thing anymore, and people know that?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:23 pm

I really like Beams leaving, so that wasn't it.
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:25 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I really like Beams leaving, so that wasn't it.

You know what I mean though

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:27 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
Wonder if part of it is also that we've lost a lot of 2010 favourites/crowd favourites

The 2010 team was a very "Collingwood" team, if that makes sense. It was cheeky, had rat-bags, had guys who'd stuffed up and come back. This team is very young, we aren't as invested in them yet. Plus it has a lot of players from other clubs, and free agency and trades makes it easier to leave a la Beams.

I think people aren't as invested in the people playing in the jumper anymore, because they could leave at a moments notice. Loyalty isn't a big thing anymore, and people know that?

nope, the bandwagoners have jumped off. will be back on again as we close in on regular finals appearances.

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:30 pm
Post subject: YeahReply with quote

The AFL, the football media, corporate greed and advertising at games; and our own Club values towards fans eg no social club, have resulted in crowds dropping off . This will continue with competition for our consumer sporting dollar growing in Melbourne.

Collingwood needs to be returned to the fans. We fans need a real sense we have a say at our Club.

The Eddie model has failed for us fans. Our sense of belonging and involvement has gone.

When Ed and his corporate clan go, things at Collingwood might start improving for us fans.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:53 pm

Looks like almost the same size crowd at Fremantle vs GWS at that dump of a ground with Ross Lyon style football.

WTF ??

No wonder Eddie is upset.

Changes must be made - heads must roll - control the controllables.

The list and the fans need hope.
Not year after year of falling further behind the competition, with no game plan and no personality.
What is our culture now?

p.s. Heater is having a great game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: