Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our rucks are overrated.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:01 pm
Post subject: Our rucks are overrated.Reply with quote

While both Grundy and Witts are young developing ruckmen, todays game, where they got thrashed by one bloke their own age, on one leg, in Gawn, demonstrates that this is our major weakness. History has shown us that unless you have a good ruckman, capable of winning hitouts as well as impacting around the ground, it's hard to win games of footy. Given that neither Grundy or Witts rarely win in the ruck, it only inflates this weakness by playing them both. Basically each time we play both ruckmen we are playing with one man less than our opponents. Witts must be dropped next week.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for 2 years running our form slump has coincided with Bucks insisting on playing 2 rucks.

Pick one and trade the other out. Grundy stays and see what you can get for Witts. Jessica White to play back up ruck (sacrifice his body) until either Mason Cox or Moore can be relied on to pinch hit

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:07 pm

Witts was the less hopeless of the 2 today. That said, the game was lost in the forward line where, apart from Fasolo, no-one much could get a kick.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:09 pm

you need to be able to kick a footy half decently to go a small forward line
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Gawn is two years older than Grundy.

I don't think our rucks are overrated at all, they are both excellent prospects and Grundy has had a pretty good season. They are young though and won't be playing well every week at this stage.

I've been against playing them both in the same team from the beginning. It doesn't work at this stage and won't until either of them is capable as a forward. For where we're at though, I think it's the right move. They need to play and we need to decide whether we want to keep two first rucks or whether we can move Witts on and look for a more mobile second ruck option.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Witts was the less hopeless of the 2 today. That said, the game was lost in the forward line where, apart from Fasolo, no-one much could get a kick.

Just to put some flesh on that - Collingwood won the centre clearances 15 to 6 (and all clearance 40 to 33), and the inside 50s 58 to 44.

58 inside 50s should typically mean about 15 goals. That it didn't is partly a consequence of some inept field-kicking and some interesting selection decisions that looked like we were leaving the forwards at home and packing the mid-field to play the away tie at the Bernabeu and hope to come away with the point for the tie.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:16 pm

What does "it" refer to?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Each of Grundy and Witts has looked best this season rucking solo.

I notice the Club was recently talking up big Cox's ability to play AFL if needed.

I still think trading away Witts would be a mistake as history shows you need some ruck depth.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:22 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Gawn is two years older than Grundy.

I don't think our rucks are overrated at all, they are both excellent prospects and Grundy has had a pretty good season. They are young though and won't be playing well every week at this stage.

I've been against playing them both in the same team from the beginning. It doesn't work at this stage and won't until either of them is capable as a forward. For where we're at though, I think it's the right move. They need to play and we need to decide whether we want to keep two first rucks or whether we can move Witts on and look for a more mobile second ruck option.

Gawn is 23, Witts is 22 and Grundy is 21, but both Witts and Grundy have played more games than Gawn. For them both to be spanked by another young developing ruckman was a terrible result for us. It's obvious that the experiment of playing both ruckmen must cease before the whole season is lost, though I suspect it already is.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:24 pm

I suppose it depends what the aim is - Collingwood can't win the flag (it couldn't six weeks ago, either), so I guess they're trying to fast-track the development of the rucks.

Is this a good thing? I don't know but I agree it's just miserable to watch the team at the moment.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:24 pm
Post subject: Re: Our rucks are overrated.Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Given that neither Grundy or Witts rarely win in the ruck

Nice to see that you have full confidence in them. Or would you rather play some other player who does "rarely win in the ruck"? Is Chris Bryan still available?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:26 pm

What about Guy Richards aka the man who let the 2007 preliminary final break his tackle?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Hit outs were 36-38. Clearances 40-33, centre clearances 15-6.

Gawn was better around the ground than Witts or Grundy, but I don't think we were smashed in the ruck.

The main area of concern is marking. Grundy and Witts combined for 3, Gawn took 6.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Neither had great days. Both are still young.

The worry is both are better suited to the mantle of No.1 ruck and playing them together you get about 2/3 of the player should would otherwise.

I'm on the record as being a bigger Grundy fan, younger of the two and has more in the way of natural aggression and generally finds more of the footy.

My worry is that Wits could end up another Warnock if he doesn't lift his physicality.

Wouldn't surprise if Cox was a better tap ruck option in 12 months and I remain open to trading Witts for something excellent in return.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Rucks give me the shits!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: