Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do we need to review Buckleys position at seasons end?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
I was all in favor of the succession plan to ease Malthouse out of the Club with some dignity.

What it did was put a rocket up him, and a Premiership resulted. I think we saw that by the second half of 2011, he was cooked. So the decision to move him on was the correct one.

However, the decision to hand the keys to the biggest sporting club in the country to someone who had not even been an assistant coach was always fraught with danger. We didn't even look to see who else might be available.

Now, we are paying the price. Hinkley, Hardwick, Beverage, Cameron etc, all served decent apprenticeships before being given a chance.

But Eddie was terrified Buckley would end up at another club, so he handed him the job, basically sight unseen.

If Buckley is to be sacked, surely, Eddie has to go too.

Seriously? Confused

Yes

Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:25 pm

No. The succession plan involved Bucks being assistant coach for 2 seasons.

Someone with such a strong opinion on this issue should understand the facts I would have thought.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:30 pm

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
No. The succession plan involved Bucks being assistant coach for 2 seasons.

Someone with such a strong opinion on this issue should understand the facts I would have thought.

When he was given the job, he hadn't started being an assistant yet. We was announced as coach for the 2012 season with absolutely no experience.

Its OK, I don't expect someone with Ape in there name to understand the facts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 pm

He was announced as the assistant coach for 2010 and the senior coach for 2012 at the same time.

It's alright, just pointing this out for those who were still wondering if they should take you seriously or not. The ape insult has sealed it, you're clearly a 13 year old girl.
courtza 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:42 pm

There are 18 coaches in the competition, 1 team wins a premiership each year, 17 teams lose.

After 11 years at Collingwood and 1 flag, was Malthouse a good coach? We played finals in however many years but 1 flag, is this success?

Is Ross Lyon a good coach? How many years does he get, how good are the lists he's had?

Paul Roos? good coach, dunno?

Alistair Clarkson good coach or a freakin unbelievable list?

I could go on all day.

Its a bit reactive to judge a guy after 4 seasons. We've played some good footy this year, picked up some good recruits in Varcoe Crisp and Levi and some less than great ones. We have some good young guys coming through and by the looks of things will get some more this year.
We are in a bit of a rut at the moment but the feel around the club amongst the boys seems to be positive and happy. I like the way Bucks comes across in the media and seems to be well respected amongst his peers.

Is he a good coach? I dont know but I'd like to see him get an opportunity to see it through.

There is no way any man on this planet can coach a team to a premiership if he hasnt got the cattle and if you think an assistant from Hawthorn can come along and set us on the right path its more than likely from the ground work done by the current coaches.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
He was announced as the assistant coach for 2010 and the senior coach for 2012 at the same time.

It's alright, just pointing this out for those who were still wondering if they should take you seriously or not. The ape insult has sealed it, you're clearly a 13 year old girl.

Bingo - he was named the senior coach for 2012 before he had any assistant coach experience.

Not too hard to grasp, is it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:48 pm

courtza wrote:
There are 18 coaches in the competition, 1 team wins a premiership each year, 17 teams lose.

After 11 years at Collingwood and 1 flag, was Malthouse a good coach? We played finals in however many years but 1 flag, is this success?

Is Ross Lyon a good coach? How many years does he get, how good are the lists he's had?

I could go on all day.

Its a bit reactive to judge a guy after 4 seasons. We've played some good footy this year, picked up some good recruits in Varcoe Crisp and Levi and some less than great ones. We have some good young guys coming through and by the looks of things will get some more this year.
We are in a bit of a rut at the moment but the feel around the club amongst the boys seems to be positive and happy. I like the way Bucks comes across in the media and seems to be well respected amongst his peers.

Is he a good coach? I dont know but I'd like to see him get an opportunity to see it through.

There is no way any man on this planet can coach a team to a premiership if he hasnt got the cattle and if you think an assistant from Hawthorn can come along and set us on the right path its more than likely from the ground work done by the current coaches.

Very well said.
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:50 pm

courtza wrote:

I could go on all day.

It's a bit reactive to judge a guy after four seasons?????

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Some coaches are sacked after 2 seasons.

Some take years to win there first premiership.

We just lost last week to a side with a first year coach.

Not many get handed the list Buckley did outside of C. Scott in there first senior gig.

Most new coaches take over an old side in decline or a club in crisis.

Ours didn't fall into either category.

Time frame is irrelevant, it's all about results and if we only win 2 more games for the season that will be 4 consecutive years of going backwards in terms of ladder position.

That's a concern and not what was envisaged by those in power at the start of 2012 and anyway who thinks as such is deluded.

Bucks most likely get one more year but if we don't play finals next year then he'll be sacked and rightly so.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:10 pm

courtza wrote:

i get your point.
your blaming the recruitment.
i can see that.

uncanny 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Make a call on the coach this time next year. See how we are travelling then.
courtza 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:18 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
courtza wrote:

I could go on all day.

It's a bit reactive to judge a guy after four seasons?????

Maybe that wasnt the right way to put it, I'm just trying to say that not many if any have had success in their first four years in the job unless they have an incredible list.

Every coach and player will be judged weekly, monthly, yearly, carreerly, some times theyre a legend sometime theyre a dud. Every coach goes through it.

I'm from Perth and and last year all the wet toasters were saying that Simpson was a dud coach, now hes a legend, next year they may not win a game. Maybe we should get Hinkley, look what he did with Port, oh wait a minute theyre shit too.

If the AFL had there way each club would win a premiership once every 18 years, how many coaches would we go through if this was the case, would anyone be given the time to become a good coach
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:21 pm

simon tonna wrote:
courtza wrote:

i get your point.
your blaming the recruitment.
i can see that.

Is that my cue to jump in???

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Defender normally I would give this little thought and back Bucks.
But today after watching the manner of the loss I'm inclined to think a little differently.
Now a review IMO would be smart but not just of the senior coach but all coaches, coaching methods, selection policy, medical, fitness and all related aspects.
Missing 2 players from our list all year (Keefe & Thomas) hasn't helped our depth or structure. Having no Reid available all year hasn't helped our depth or structure either.
At 8-3 I was happy with everything and was hopeful of a finals appearance more from the view point of experience for the younger players development than having the chance to win a comp this year.
Some posters on here make valid points both ways I guess.
The Hawks case is Clarkson the best coach or does he have the best list ?
Well he missed 5/6 weeks last year and they kept winning is that the senior playing group, quality assistants keeping the same plan in place or just good luck ?
Personally I believe it's more the senior playing group and the quality of the assistants.
Our game style of manic pressure is always going to take w toll but the drop off the past 3 weeks has been immense.
Prior to th west coast game we had been very competitive in every game and that was all we could have asked for.
Now I wonder if we have been simply figured out and have no plan B to go to.
Our skill level is deplorable and there can't be any hiding from that. Even when we win we butcher it badly we just haven't been punished. Whoever teaches the basic skills of kick and handball needs to be sacked without question.
Have a review but that does not mean sack Buckley I would be more inclined to go after Brendon Bolton (if he doesn't secure and senior post elsewhere) and offer him a big pay rise and see if he can bring something new to us.
If we don't see a marked improvement next year then we may already have the next senior coach in waiting already on our books.
I wouldn't be sacking Bucks based on this year as I never thought we would be huge improvers anyways. But we had better show it next year as this list is getting more experience so that excuse is losing steam.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Put it this way.If Nathan Buckley wasn't a champion Collingwood footballer and a favouite of Eddie's,would he still be coach today,given his record over the last four years?I think the answer to that is no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13   

Jump to: