Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do we need to review Buckleys position at seasons end?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
Domesticated_Ape wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Without doubt Buckley's position will be reviewed at the end of the year.

Without doubt Buckley's contract will be extended at the end of the year.

Buckley is contracted till the end of 2016 already.

No need to extend his contract this season and why would you if the losses continue?

Ed ain't that stupid surely.

2 year extension or else we go into next year as Carlton went into this year with Mick. Too much pressure for a developing team.

And given these contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on all is does is defuse any media crap. If Bucks is terminated early he'll get paid out of his contract. I don't see what the issue is.

It also sends the message to our young blokes that it's one in all in, side by side and any other unifying cliche you can think of. Much better than having them reading a new "sack Bucks" story every week.

Dangles makes a good point too. It could be argued that Bucks deserves the right to see the development of this young list through to it's conclusion.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:37 pm

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
FTR I never said I wanted the man sacked, I just think we need a no bullshit review come seasons end, and take this to the bank guys, if Eddie try's another contract extension before the end of the year and it goes pear shaped he will have to stand down as well.

Bucks will be our coach next year and anything short of finals and he's a dead duck, no excuses.

Didn't you say that last year?

Yes I did.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Tezza23 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Not sure why Bucks' future is being discussed. There is no way Eddie/Pert will sack him. They have too much of their reputations on the line to replace Buckley. Besides its was only a couple of weeks ago (before the Weagles game) that news was being circulated about an extension to his contract. My gut feel is that the extension has already been drafted and just waiting for an appropriate time to release the news. Interestingly Buckley has tried to cool down any expectations with the old premiership hotspot being 3 years away, (very optimistic in my view) allowing an nice segway into another 2 year extension.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:45 pm

Tezza23 wrote:
Not sure why Bucks' future is being discussed. There is no way Eddie/Pert will sack him. They have too much of their reputations on the line to replace Buckley. Besides its was only a couple of weeks ago (before the Weagles game) that news was being circulated about an extension to his contract. My gut feel is that the extension has already been drafted and just waiting for an appropriate time to release the news. Interestingly Buckley has tried to cool down any expectations with the old premiership hotspot being 3 years away, (very optimistic in my view) allowing an nice segway into another 2 year extension.

I don't think even Eddie would have the cheek to sneak in another extension now, finals next year or bust, even a loss to the scum next week would have to get the board thinking of a replacement for next season.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:40 am

Dangles wrote:
Bucks has done the clean out and is now in the process of the rebuild. Let him complete the rebuild phase and see what it delivers. That's provided he's given clear timelines about how long the rebuild will rake and when it should start delivering. Going by today's article in the paper it should be 2017/18. So expect another roller coaster next year too.

This time last year 2016 was firmly put on the agenda as the sweet spot for this list.
I know Beams left, but WTF is going on??

2018 - geebers.

How does this bloke say it with a straight face?

Has any other coach in history had 4 years without making progress on the ladder, in any of those years, and received another extension?

He must be taking the piss.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:24 am

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Dangles wrote:
Bucks has done the clean out and is now in the process of the rebuild. Let him complete the rebuild phase and see what it delivers. That's provided he's given clear timelines about how long the rebuild will rake and when it should start delivering. Going by today's article in the paper it should be 2017/18. So expect another roller coaster next year too.

This time last year 2016 was firmly put on the agenda as the sweet spot for this list.
I know Beams left, but WTF is going on??

2018 - geebers.

How does this bloke say it with a straight face?

Has any other coach in history had 4 years without making progress on the ladder, in any of those years, and received another extension?

He must be taking the piss.

I saw this article and thought the same thing. Pert was talking top 4 before the season in 2014. What happened to bucks' saying "i'm not putting a ceiling on what this group can achieve".

I hope they don't renew Buckley this year or mid next year. Make him get us into finals in 2016 before he gets an extension. If not then its probably time that both parties agree it hasnt work and walk away.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:24 am

Double post
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:40 am

During the 'lollipop wars' that appeared to be the middle ground and most likely position. Meaning Bucks should not be sacked until we were out of finals contention in 2016.

Anything else and LWII is bound to break out.
"perceptive fellow" get ready to bomb Batman Bridge and invade Toorak.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:25 am

If they don't renew his contract before the start of next season, I look very much forward to daily, destabilising speculation about the Club's future.

This is a no-brainer - they should recontract him - but cut him loose later if they decide he isn't the man for the job.

So we risk spending my membership money on paying the football department over-spending tax? I don't care - it's better than giving it straight to Footscray, which is where much of my Collingwood membership money seems to go at the moment.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:58 am

I've posted this before but it's worth reiterating

Clarkson had 8 seasons at the Hawks before winning a flag
Malthouse had 10 ( for us ) before winning one
Roos had 8 seasons at the Swans for one flag ( though he got one within 3 of him starting )
Thompson got his first after 8 with the Cats

My point I guess is that winning a flag is not easy and requires a combination of coach, players, luck with injuries, luck with the draw, terrific recruiting ( draft and trades ) and good administration.

If the clubs above had lost their bottle after 3 years, would they have gone to be powerhouses they became? Who knows but I don't think its time for us to lose our bottle.

Should Bucks position be reviewed at the end of the year? Absolutely. Should we dump him? No.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:03 am

Also, Choco was in his 6th year, and Worsfeld his 5th when they picked up their first flag as coach.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:05 am

I don't disagree with your general sentiment but didn't Clarkson take over as Hawthorn coach in 2005 and didn't they win the flag (albeit without being the best team in the comp) in 2008, so wasn't that his 4th season?
pieboy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:06 am

dalyc wrote:
I've posted this before but it's worth reiterating

Clarkson had 8 seasons at the Hawks before winning a flag
Malthouse had 10 ( for us ) before winning one
Roos had 8 seasons at the Swans for one flag ( though he got one within 3 of him starting )
Thompson got his first after 8 with the Cats

My point I guess is that winning a flag is not easy and requires a combination of coach, players, luck with injuries, luck with the draw, terrific recruiting ( draft and trades ) and good administration.

If the clubs above had lost their bottle after 3 years, would they have gone to be powerhouses they became? Who knows but I don't think its time for us to lose our bottle.

Should Bucks position be reviewed at the end of the year? Absolutely. Should we dump him? No.

The difference is that those clubs you mentioned were building, yet Buckley took over a premiership team and we have been in decline ever since - getting worse every single year. Very few coaches have the luxury to be able to take over a ready made team yet Buckley has managed to destroy it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:11 am

I agree. He should have kept Jolly, Ball, Krak, Didak, Ben Johnson, Nick Maxwell and Leigh Brown. That's 7 players who'd be starring for us right now if they were still at the Club.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:13 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I don't disagree with your general sentiment but didn't Clarkson take over as Hawthorn coach in 2005 and didn't they win the flag (albeit without being the best team in the comp) in 2008, so wasn't that his 4th season?

Sorry, you're right about Clarkson. Goes to show how good he is I guess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13   

Jump to: