Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How happy do weekends make you feel?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:41 pm
Post subject: How happy do weekends make you feel?Reply with quote

I haven't looked at the study so don't shoot me, I just thought this was an interesting topic:

Bloomberg Business wrote:
How Happy Do Weekends Actually Make Us?
A new study finds that people who like their jobs aren't any happier on the weekends

Working for the weekend? Only if you hate your job.

A study from the National Bureau of Economic Research has found that people who like their bosses and their work environments get as much pleasure from weekdays as they do from weekends.

Using Gallup surveys taken over four years, the study looked at how seven emotions of both full-time and part-time workers fluctuate through the week. As expected, most people feel less stress and more enjoyment on Saturdays and Sundays, a phenomenon that the researchers dub "the Weekend Effect."

But a certain class of people—"workers reporting favorable workplace environment"—don't see any Weekend Effect. Those with a trusting workplace and an immediate supervisor who is more like a partner than a boss are just as happy on weekdays as on weekends, especially if they maintain healthy social lives throughout the week. This demographic also reported experiencing the same amount of enjoyment and less laughter on the weekends.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-21/how-happy-do-weekends-actually-make-us-

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on individual circumstances, but I suspect there'd be people out there for whom the weekend is just time to get all the stuff done that you didn't get around to during the week.

Obviously, if the weekend provides no respite from the stress of the week, then the work/life balance isn't working. I wonder if that would be more of a problem in America than here.

Anyway, three-day weekends for all, I say. Smile

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:04 am

I doubt it is about the length of the weekend, David, so much as lousy supervisory management.

It's really remarkable how many individuals are given people management roles when they are rather poor at it. It begs another question : what makes a good boss ? How many good ones have you had, and how many poor ?

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:59 am

Considering my 'weekends' consist of Sunday, I love them! Love turning the alarm off on Saturday morning, but Sunday's also pretty busy, as David said, getting everthing done that I haven't been able to during the week.

As for bosses, I've had a few and still have great relationships with all of them. Have always left on good terms and often catch up with former bosses. Oh, apart from my first full time job, the boss was an idiot and a liar. He doesn't count. Current boss is possibly best of the lot. His door is always open for anything, has given great personal advice over the years and willing to listen professionally - whenever I've tried to be 'poached', he's always come to the party and ensured I stay. Love my job, just not the all day Saturday part but that comes with the territory.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:22 am

I don't have a 'weekend', haven't had since starting FIFO 12 years ago.
I've been fortunate enough to have even time rosters during this time IE; 2 weeks on/ 2 off, 7days on/ 7 off or the one I currently do 8 days on / 6 days off.

I can't imagine going back to a Monday - Friday type arrangement. 2 days off just wouldn't cut it for me.

Being able to get uncrowded waves, roads, Bunnings, holiday destinations, you name it, during my time off is pure bliss.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:20 am

not sure why you would think the problem would be worse in the USA David? maybe more so in the cant switch off corporate world?

im with skids, no real weekend as I only work at home for our business now. any work I do on the weekend, I do something extra for myself during the week! im getting selfish now the kids are older, and we have no school fees to pay!

for me its more about the seasons! I just hang out for spring, warmer weather, sunshine on my skin and sunny days to enjoy the great Australian laid back lifestyle!

for me winter weekends mean footy, and maybe a party, meal with friends, etc.

ive had good & bad bosses, and it sure does make a difference to quality of life. but that's what you make of it too. life is too short to be miserable for 70 percent of your time. I loved my last job, and im still sorry I gave it up, but its all changed now anyway. I still do the odd day here and there to help out.

three day work weeks for all I say!!!

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 am

Weekends generally don't mean a great deal to me as I do shift work - often on a weekend, so really, one day just blends into the next. However, my mood is often determined by us winning or losing.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Now that i only have me to worry about, the weekend is great. Yeah I spend a chunk of it getting stuff done that doesn't get done during the week but the rest is "Me" time.

I enjoy my job, have a good boss and I have quite a degree of flexibility, but when it takes best part of an hour each way travel an 11 hour day door to door each day is long. Particularly during winter when you get up in the dark, leave for work in the dark and get home in the dark.

It's nice to stay in bed til 8:30 on the weekend.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:35 am

Mainly weekends for me consist of going to the footy most weeks, studying, going out with friends in the evenings every so often and catching up with the latest news on Nicks of course! Smile

Most weekends can be good but an element of stress can arise occasionally but generally I enjoy it!

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:57 am

Every day is a weekend to me.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:08 am

I've finally worked how the surveyors got these results - they interviewed only Minnesota Vikings supporters. Right now, if you asked me, I'd also say I don't much enjoy weekends - except for bye weekends when Collingwood doesn't play.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:57 pm

https://youtu.be/d0LeL9BUPtA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: