Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

My kids like EPL better than afl :(

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princem007 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:24 pm
Post subject: My kids like EPL better than afl :(Reply with quote

How we can learn from EPL.

My kids lost interest in afl and now religiously watch EPL where in past they couldn't get enough of afl and Collingwood.

They constantly play Fifa where afl doesn't have a console game of high quality.

I'm sure this isn't just my problem across yourh of today.

So how do we fight back to save our great game.

Some suggestions I came up with.

We need a game developed similar to Fifa that captures imagination of kids, this is where Fifa is winning over our kids.

A 34 round season - everyone plays twice - I think EPL season 38 rounds. A fair competition equals more interest otherwise it's a contrived draw.

Grand final between top 2.( still need a granny I believe even though EPL has premier based on end ladder )

If it's good enough for biggest code in world why can't it work for afl.

With the extra revenue from season don't need finals and uneven ground advantages. Grand final played at minor premier home ground.

No or limited preseason games or take our preseason games to England or USA . They come here why don't we take our preseason games there rather than the outback ??

Quarters - 20 minutes plus injury time only.

16 players + 8 interchange.

Rotation limited to 4 per player. After 4 player out of game.

Thoughts ??

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget to change the shape of the ball to round so things are more predictable.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:58 pm

I think this is Happening More.

I could see in 10-15 Years that the A-League could average the same Crowds as the AFL Gets

Eddie has been saying the same thing about a Video Game for a Few Years and he is spot on

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Maybe, like the rest of us, kids get bored watching stacks of players grope and scrimmage over each other, with all the players in 1/3 of the playing field for most of the game. Kids have a short attention span. The game is getting more and more boring. Who have they got to cheer for? Very few one on ones and duels or free flowing play to capture the imagination. The game is ugly.

I can see why the rugrats are turning away. But I can't understand why they would turn to soccer. That's even more boring IMO.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:34 pm
Post subject: Re: My kids like EPL better than afl :(Reply with quote

princem007 wrote:

My kids lost interest in afl and now religiously watch EPL where in past they couldn't get enough of afl and Collingwood.

They constantly play Fifa where afl doesn't have a console game of high quality.

We need a game developed similar to Fifa that captures imagination of kids, this is where Fifa is winning over our kids.

A 34 round season - everyone plays twice - I think EPL season 38 rounds. A fair competition equals more interest otherwise it's a contrived draw.

Grand final between top 2.( still need a granny I believe even though EPL has premier based on end ladder )

With the extra revenue from season don't need finals and uneven ground advantages. Grand final played at minor premier home ground.

No or limited preseason games or take our preseason games to England or USA . They come here why don't we take our preseason games there rather than the outback ??

Thoughts ??

The EPL is more marketing than substance.
Yes I can see why kids love it, and you are right about the computer game. A quality AFL game would do us no harm at all!
The EPL has been turned into a very lop sided, predictable (boring) competition with no salary cap that in essence locks out 15 of the 20 teams from ever winning the league.
Teams have massive debts and most survive on the financial bail outs of media rights.
Ticket prices and their availability are very both prohibitive.
Player wages are astronomical & UEFA are cracking down - Fair Play Financial rules.
I follow it and have done so for years, but am becoming increasingly disillusioned.
I really don't think in order to 'compete' with the EPL we should emulate it in any particular way.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:14 pm

One change I'd be happy to see with the dilution of the talent pool is get rid of 2 players per team (would be wingmen if they still played set positions). The current game is a mess of players following the ball around, creating zones in one half of the ground and pressing up... all things that create congestion, slow down play and bore the hell out of fans.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:26 pm

What the hell is EPL?

Does this have anything to do with Collingwood?

If you think AFL is boring and needs to be more like soccer??? then you are a nutter - that is one boring game that makes most other sports even golf seem exciting - that's why they sing, fight and smoke out the stands with flares - they are bored witless!

themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Take it from someone that loves both codes, taking on the world game is nuts, the exposure world football will receive via marketing and social media will only grow over time. The AFL needs to focus on improving the game, learn to coexist and be grateful we are in a different time zone.
roar 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:32 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
If you think AFL is boring and needs to be more like soccer??? then you are a nutter - that is one boring game that makes most other sports even golf seem exciting

Most of the world disagrees with you and would consider you to be the "nutter".

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:37 pm

Wokko wrote:
One change I'd be happy to see with the dilution of the talent pool is get rid of 2 players per team (would be wingmen if they still played set positions). The current game is a mess of players following the ball around, creating zones in one half of the ground and pressing up... all things that create congestion, slow down play and bore the hell out of fans.

Spot on, Wokko - this is worth trying, at least. It may create other side effects but soccer is such a free-flowing game by comparison and it's so much more satisfying to watch as a result. I hope the afl try it. I could see a day when we have 15 players on the field, forcing more 1-on-1 contests.

That said, I agree with the poster above who said that EpL is boring in that the same few teams are completely financially and competitively dominant. If you do not barrack for Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U/City or Liverpool, you have little to hope for at the start of each season in terms of ultimate success. The AfL has it right with the draft and Salary Cap

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:46 pm

sixpoints wrote:

The EPL is more marketing than substance.
Yes I can see why kids love it, and you are right about the computer game. A quality AFL game would do us no harm at all!
The EPL has been turned into a very lop sided, predictable (boring) competition with no salary cap that in essence locks out 15 of the 20 teams from ever winning the league.
Teams have massive debts and most survive on the financial bail outs of media rights.
Ticket prices and their availability are very both prohibitive.
Player wages are astronomical & UEFA are cracking down - Fair Play Financial rules.
I follow it and have done so for years, but am becoming increasingly disillusioned.
I really don't think in order to 'compete' with the EPL we should emulate it in any particular way.

Agree - It’s the Same Teams up the Top Every Single Year - BORING

themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 pm

roar wrote:
yin-YANG wrote:
If you think AFL is boring and needs to be more like soccer??? then you are a nutter - that is one boring game that makes most other sports even golf seem exciting

+1

Most 'soccer' haters say the game is boring yet they love cricket?

I'm a huge cricket fan too but I suppose it's what one has grown up on, maybe I'm just lucky.

The again, don't ask me about Rugby, don't know & don't care.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 pm

themonk wrote:
Take it from someone that loves both codes, taking on the world game is nuts, the exposure world football will receive via marketing and social media will only grow over time. The AFL needs to focus on improving the game, learn to coexist and be grateful we are in a different time zone.

Agree - AFL should Concentrate on the Game in Australia and not have this stupid idea to try and make it a International Sport

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:54 pm

princem007 wrote:

Thoughts ??

Wouldn't it be easier just to disinherit them and start another family?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:59 pm

themonk wrote:
roar wrote:
yin-YANG wrote:

+1

Most 'soccer' haters say the game is boring yet they love cricket?

I'm a huge cricket fan too but I suppose it's what one has grown up on, maybe I'm just lucky.

The again, don't ask me about Rugby, don't know & don't care.

I'd rather watch Rugby, league or Union, any day over soccer and I don't watch either very much. Hell, I'd watch lawn bowls, snooker, darts or even curling over soccer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: