Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies players should show support for Goodes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Exhibit A here in what this is all about, pretentious dickheads feeling morally superior because everyone else is a racist bogan, but they're a sophisticated special snowflake.

Careful Wokko you'll go Full Reclaim in a minute. Mind you point is just a very immature deflection so its not worth a serious reply.

Pretty much all your posts, going back 3 years have been calling Collingwood fans racists. You're a troll, **** off.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:35 am

I agree that the media were pretty appalling during that episode Jezza, but you're nor seriously suggesting a 13 yo doesn't know that calling a black man an ape is wrong are you? I felt sorry for her and her family receiving so much attention, but lets not kid ourselves and excuse her because of her age. I know plenty of kids way younger than 13 who understand how wrong her words were.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:40 am

Wasn't she a kid from the country? Might not have even come across it before. I've known some pretty naive kids over the journey, and they're not getting any smarter and wiser as time goes on.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:21 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Defender wrote:

Long story short, don't try and further your cause at a $£$%^%%$ child's expense, it's not hard to work out mate.

I'm sure Adam wouldn't have known the age of the person who called him an ape, but let's say for the sake of simplicity, that he did. So he looked at the teenage girl and thought, yes, she's 13 and I'm calling her out on racist remarks. Where is the problem Defender?

At what age would you say people should know that calling an Aboriginal man an ape is not the right thing to do? Sounds like you'd opt for driving age at 18? Or perhaps voting age at 21? I'm darn well sure a 13 yo should know better. I think Adam was right to call her out. He wasn't to know, by the way, that over- zealous security guards would make such a song and dance over it either.

If we're going to be critical of anybody on that particular day, it should be the MCG Security and not a proud Aboriginal man who drew attention to offensive crowd members. BTW, I think Adam's action worked a treat. A whole generation of Australian young people would have discussed the matter in schools over the following weeks and hopefully, learned a very valuable lesson.

He's a large hairy man as well, do you honestly believe it isn't possible she called him an ape for that reason alone? My mum calls me a big hairy ape when I haven't shaved for a week or so.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:12 am

Collingwood's Travis Varcoe also wore an armband with the Aboriginal flag and number 37 (Goodes' guernsey).

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
I agree that the media were pretty appalling during that episode Jezza, but you're nor seriously suggesting a 13 yo doesn't know that calling a black man an ape is wrong are you? I felt sorry for her and her family receiving so much attention, but lets not kid ourselves and excuse her because of her age. I know plenty of kids way younger than 13 who understand how wrong her words were.

My sister was 18 at the time and didn't know that it was a derogatory term for an aboriginal. Neither did my mother. Just because you guilt ridden Anglos know all the racist names for everyone, doesn't mean the rest of us do. As far as I am concerned the man looks like an ape, just like the Scott brothers do. Maybe just maybe people aren't as bad as you want to paint them.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:57 pm

Keep the racist excuses coming guys, anything but excepting the truth of the matter. What a hoot! Laughing Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Wokko wrote:
Wasn't she a kid from the country? Might not have even come across it before. I've known some pretty naive kids over the journey, and they're not getting any smarter and wiser as time goes on.

She was from Moe, I think, the town where my Dad was born. Naivete may be a feature of kids from that area, but it wouldn't exactly be the most tolerant or cosmopolitan place either.

To some extent, it doesn't really matter whether she meant it or not - Goodes was right to point it out as completely unacceptable behaviour. Beyond that, he and I hope the rest of us don't wish her ill. I'm just perplexed that so many people see her as a victim, and particularly perplexed that people can't believe that a 13-year-old could be a racist or have been exposed to racist language at home.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Keep the racist excuses coming guys, anything but excepting the truth of the matter. What a hoot! Laughing Laughing

Look, it's the race baiting troll again. Why is this the only topic you come on here to discuss? If you think Australia is so racist, then pray tell me oh 'tolerant' one, where in the world do you think is better? You'll find the answer is pretty much nowhere, because in this country even those with racial prejudice (I've known my fair share) will still overwhelmingly judge a man based on 'the content of his character', and THAT is how people are judging Adam Goodes, because no matter how great a bloke he might be privately, his public persona is a massive douchebag. Nobody gives a rats arse that his mum is Aboriginal (except you lot of race baiting, divide and conquer trolls).

This whole sorry issue that is dividing us is not caused by the tiny, sliver thin minority of rabid racists (I've never even met one of those), but by the arrogant, slimy race baiting social justice types whose hatred of their country, culture and history is only slightly worse than their hatred of themselves.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Wokko wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:

Look, it's the race baiting troll again. Why is this the only topic you come on here to discuss? If you think Australia is so racist, then pray tell me oh 'tolerant' one, where in the world do you think is better? You'll find the answer is pretty much nowhere, because in this country even those with racial prejudice (I've known my fair share) will still overwhelmingly judge a man based on 'the content of his character', and THAT is how people are judging Adam Goodes, because no matter how great a bloke he might be privately, his public persona is a massive douchebag. Nobody gives a rats arse that his mum is Aboriginal (except you lot of race baiting, divide and conquer trolls).

This whole sorry issue that is dividing us is not caused by the tiny, sliver thin minority of rabid racists (I've never even met one of those), but by the arrogant, slimy race baiting social justice types whose hatred of their country, culture and history is only slightly worse than their hatred of themselves.

Thank you Wokko you summed it up perfectly. I never know a group of people with such self loathing as white Australians. It must hurt them to look in the mirror.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:27 pm

David wrote:
She was from Moe, I think, the town where my Dad was born. Naivete may be a feature of kids from that area, but it wouldn't exactly be the most tolerant or cosmopolitan place either.

To some extent, it doesn't really matter whether she meant it or not - Goodes was right to point it out as completely unacceptable behaviour. Beyond that, he and I hope the rest of us don't wish her ill. I'm just perplexed that so many people see her as a victim, and particularly perplexed that people can't believe that a 13-year-old could be a racist or have been exposed to racist language at home.

I can believe it, but putting a kid under such extreme public humiliation and ridicule doesn't sit well with too many people, no matter what she said. I think the ambiguity of the language used and apparent over sensitive reaction from Goodes didn't endear him, but people would probably have forgiven it. The reaction now isn't even so much at Goodes the person, but at Goodes the figurehead of the holier than thou types calling us all racist. People don't like being lectured and preached to, there is a reason that reconciliation was moving ahead, slowly and gently and confrontation sets all that progress back decades.

If someone is naive rather than wilfully ignorant then a powerful, positive image is that person learning and understanding; think Damien Monkhorst. If Goodes had seen it was a young girl and gone over and talked to her, let her know that what she said is hurtful to not just him but all Aboriginal people and shook her hand after she said sorry then we would have a powerful image of coming together. I can't fault him for an emotional response, but think how different this whole sorry mess would be if he'd offered an open hand rather than a fist.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Wokko wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:

Well said

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:26 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

She underwent a couple of weeks of counseling in the aftermath of the episode, so she was definitely a victim. To be branded 'the face of racism' on the front pages of newspapers, is something she'll have to live with for the rest of her life.

I actually don't believe she used the term 'ape' as a racist slur, but more because, as others have noted, Goodes hairy face and body make him look like an ape. I also understand why Goodes perceived it as a racist slur and drew attention to it. Once it was apparent she was only 13 yrs, and did not use the term 'ape' because of the colour of his skin, then I think Goodes and the media in general, should have accepted her explanation and moved on.

The really sad thing is that while all this media driven frenzy going on, the real attack on Aboriginal people is coming from the WA and Federal Government's collusion in forcing the closure of remote Aboriginal communities.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:49 pm

On another note, much has been said recently about how a lot of people were offended by Adam Goodes Australia Day speech. Well, here it is. Anyone who was offended by any of it is an absolute flog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EV-cLb_Ttg
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Don't you lot hate when a shovel is called a shovel. No wonder Collingwood fans have such a bad reputation for racial abuse at the footy. I can see why right here. Support all the way for perpetrators and and just a token for the victims.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 29 of 53   

Jump to: