Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies players should show support for Goodes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It will ultimately be very good for the game. We just have to sit patiently through the death-throes of this late emanation of the crocodilian brain.
Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:16 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
I hear this political correctness cry a lot. It's usually when people holding thoroughly offensive views are called out.
Your in depth world wide studies an analysis have shown you this?
Neil Appleby wrote:
It's about common, human decency Jezza. You mention Andrew pridham and Paul Roos and because they are Sydney aligned men, you reject their argumets.
Nah I think he may reject them because they are ludicrous.
Neil Appleby wrote:
Let me present another footy man who said similar things this week; his name is Nathan Buckley and he said that the people booing Adam Goodes are "the lowest common denominator'. Can't be any clearer than that.
So bux is the gospel on moral fabric as well as the greatest to be coach ever.
Neil Appleby wrote:
You can boo Goodes and be labelled a racist or you can choose not to boo. Easy choice I would have thought.
You can choose to be an ignorant generalizing flog or you can elect to be a little more rational...easy choice for some it would seem.
Neil Appleby wrote:
And again, anybody over 12 years of age booing anyone, anywhere is half a chromosome from a chimp.
depending on your pigmentation of course???

My god you are a load of w@nk.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:23 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
It will ultimately be very good for the game. We just have to sit patiently through the death-throes of this late emanation of the crocodilian brain.

Flick me a pm when your done then. Wink

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:23 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

Yep

Does anyone else have the Disney theme song going through their head right now

LET IT GOOOOOOOOOOOO

Make your boos count, use them in the right places

That's sounds ridiculous I know, but I'm getting delirious.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:25 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
He's not being booed because his behaviour is "objectionable" per se. If that were it, there are a couple of hundred AFL players we'd be booing ahead of him. The problem people have with him is that he's indigenous and objectionable.
h

Fair enough, i just think that powerful, wealthy people with a national platform choosing to humiliate a 13 year old kid on national Tv over a contextless comment is objectionable.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:30 am

You're entitled to that view. But, it's a diversion and certainly doesn't justify what's been happening. As I said in one of the other "I really dislike Adam Goodes" threads:

Pies4shaw wrote:
Goodes picking out that girl, rather than any of the racist adults around her, was manna from heaven for the white sheet brigade.
Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:38 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Goodes picking out that girl, rather than any of the racist adults around her, was manna from heaven for the white sheet brigade.

How so? seriously...

It doesn't make them suddenly non racist, it doesn't make racism right, and it doesn't allow them to hide.

I understand why you made the statement...you're having a snide dig, but it really actually doesn't make any logical sense.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:41 am

As participants in a very complex debate is it possible for people to agree with a cause but not they way that people go about championing that cause?

As Mugwump has said, I too find it unacceptable to publicly humiate a child for the sake of a cause, no matter how worthy I might think that cause to be. This can be defined as "the way he goes about it".

Goodes seems a divisive character. I don't know what the future holds for him but great leaders are able to unite people who sometime have very opposing views. It's easy to point and yell "racist". It's much harder to make that person understand why in a manner that is truly enlightening to them.

Is that what happened to the young girl?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:43 am

Museman wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

How so? seriously...

It doesn't make them suddenly non racist, it doesn't make racism right, and it doesn't allow them to hide.

I understand why you made the statement...you're having a snide dig, but it really actually doesn't make any logical sense.

Why do you think intellectual giants like Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt keep raising it? You'd think it was the worst thing anyone had ever done in history.

I'm not making a "snide dig". I'm just stating the obvious.
Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:58 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Museman wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

How so? seriously...

Why do you think intellectual giants like Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt keep raising it? You'd think it was the worst thing anyone had ever done in history.

I'm not making a "snide dig". I'm just stating the obvious.
It helps their cause in no way that I see, do the people who actually listen to these muppets suddenly decide that racism is right? that all black people do this to 14 year olds?

I don't see it.

I would argue it does nothing for anyone's cause, it doesn't help the racists any but equally it doesn't help Adams cause any, in fact it has hindered it.

Apologize if it weren't a dig, but it seemed to me to be suggesting that sympathizing with the 14 year old = white sheet brigade.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:19 am

No need to apologise, Museman.

I wasn't suggesting that sympathising with the girl was a racist position. By "manna from heaven", I meant that it was a "gift" which the white sheet brigade in the media has grabbed onto. The fact that it is repeated so often in these threads as a justification for the constant heckling of Goodes suggests that the political purpose of repeatedly raising it in the media has, to some extent, been achieved.

Like you, I don't think that, in itself, did anything for anyone's cause. But I do thing there's a message in the way it is repeatedly raised.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:56 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

I wasn't suggesting that sympathising with the girl was a racist position. By "manna from heaven", I meant that it was a "gift" which the white sheet brigade in the media has grabbed onto. The fact that it is repeated so often in these threads as a justification for the constant heckling of Goodes suggests that the political purpose of repeatedly raising it in the media has, to some extent, been achieved.

Like you, I don't think that, in itself, did anything for anyone's cause. But I do thing there's a message in the way it is repeatedly raised.

It's racism no matter which way you look at it & always has been thus (& this), just the extent , form & context varies.

The Age editorial today

Today we have taken an unusual step a call to action in support of Indigenous footballer Adam Goodes and against the racism inherent in the abuse he has suffered from a minority of fans of our national game. Our move reflects profound concern about the treatment that Goodes, who is apparently considering a premature end to his illustrious career, has been receiving from an ignorant, mean-spirited portion of our society.
We take it as self-evident that vilifying any person on the grounds of race is a dreadful and harmful act that not only reflects terribly on the perpetrator, but is corrosive of our very community. The attacks on Goodes in recent times have reached such a level that they are reflecting poorly on our entire nation. We all have a duty to help end this travesty and prevent repeats by having the courage and decency to call out such behaviour as a racist disgrace. It certainly has no place in a nation that would pride itself on being diverse, multicultural and, above all, fair.
The attacks on Goodes in recent times have reached such a level that they are reflecting poorly on our entire nation.
The attacks on Goodes in recent times have reached such a level that they are reflecting poorly on our entire nation. Photo: Getty Images
There are those who disingenuously suggest Goodes has brought the attacks on himself through his use of a traditional Indigenous war dance as an on-field celebratory act and/or through his sustained public opposition to racism, including his utterly appropriate calling out two years ago of a 13-year-old football supporter, whom he heard yell during a match that he was an"ape".
Advertisement

An even more disingenuous slur has been that Goodes is being booed only because of the way he plays football; he is, it is sometimes suggested, too keen to seek a free kick and ingratiate himself to umpires. This is risible rubbish most of those involved in the booing and jeering of one of the greatest and most-decorated players in the history of Australian Rules Football must be aware of the damage they risk causing our society and culture by fanning racism.
Together, we can prevent any further blight. By seizing the opportunity to buttress awareness of the insidious dangers of racism, we can we must collectively generate an eventual benefit for the nation.

The Age would have liked to see greater leadership from the code and from politicians, and we call on leaders to urge the population to unite against the attitudes fuelling the vile travesty Goodes has been suffering. Victorian Premier Daniel Andrew, his NSW counterpart Mike Baird and Federal Indigenous Affairs Minister Senator Nigel Scullion have been among the small number of politicians to loudly declare disdain for the treatment of Goodes. Comments on Friday by Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who claims to champion Indigenous rights, were belated and insipid. The leadership of the AFL has not been vocal enough, perhaps and we believe wrongly preferring to leave the response to individual clubs.
Goodes is a truly great Australian, a man who has enhanced our nation by continuing to remind us that racism sadly remains an issue here. That is why Mr Abbott conferred upon him the honour of being 2014 Australian of the Year. Goodes has been sufficiently bruised that he has decided to not take the field this weekend. It would be an awful shame and injustice were he to end his sporting career as a result of racism. Many AFL players this weekend will make a public show of their support for Goodes. We applaud them, and we urge our readers to stand with them as part of a national declaration that this sorry chapter is not only closed, but that it cannot be repeated if we are to be truly able to say our nation is based on respect, decency and fairness.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/booing-adam-goodes-australians-must-unite-against-racism-20150731-giosk2.html#ixzz3hWHKzCSm

To use words like political correctness has become itself politically correct. It is becoming a redundant term used to justify all manner of wrongs.

Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:54 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

It's racism no matter which way you look at it & always has been thus (& this), just the extent , form & context varies.

The Age editorial today

Today we have taken an unusual step a call to action in support of Indigenous footballer Adam Goodes and against the racism inherent in the abuse he has suffered from a minority of fans of our national game. Our move reflects profound concern about the treatment that Goodes, who is apparently considering a premature end to his illustrious career, has been receiving from an ignorant, mean-spirited portion of our society.
We take it as self-evident that vilifying any person on the grounds of race is a dreadful and harmful act that not only reflects terribly on the perpetrator, but is corrosive of our very community. The attacks on Goodes in recent times have reached such a level that they are reflecting poorly on our entire nation. We all have a duty to help end this travesty and prevent repeats by having the courage and decency to call out such behaviour as a racist disgrace. It certainly has no place in a nation that would pride itself on being diverse, multicultural and, above all, fair.
The attacks on Goodes in recent times have reached such a level that they are reflecting poorly on our entire nation.
The attacks on Goodes in recent times have reached such a level that they are reflecting poorly on our entire nation. Photo: Getty Images
There are those who disingenuously suggest Goodes has brought the attacks on himself through his use of a traditional Indigenous war dance as an on-field celebratory act and/or through his sustained public opposition to racism, including his utterly appropriate calling out two years ago of a 13-year-old football supporter, whom he heard yell during a match that he was an"ape".
Advertisement

An even more disingenuous slur has been that Goodes is being booed only because of the way he plays football; he is, it is sometimes suggested, too keen to seek a free kick and ingratiate himself to umpires. This is risible rubbish most of those involved in the booing and jeering of one of the greatest and most-decorated players in the history of Australian Rules Football must be aware of the damage they risk causing our society and culture by fanning racism.
Together, we can prevent any further blight. By seizing the opportunity to buttress awareness of the insidious dangers of racism, we can we must collectively generate an eventual benefit for the nation.

The Age would have liked to see greater leadership from the code and from politicians, and we call on leaders to urge the population to unite against the attitudes fuelling the vile travesty Goodes has been suffering. Victorian Premier Daniel Andrew, his NSW counterpart Mike Baird and Federal Indigenous Affairs Minister Senator Nigel Scullion have been among the small number of politicians to loudly declare disdain for the treatment of Goodes. Comments on Friday by Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who claims to champion Indigenous rights, were belated and insipid. The leadership of the AFL has not been vocal enough, perhaps and we believe wrongly preferring to leave the response to individual clubs.
Goodes is a truly great Australian, a man who has enhanced our nation by continuing to remind us that racism sadly remains an issue here. That is why Mr Abbott conferred upon him the honour of being 2014 Australian of the Year. Goodes has been sufficiently bruised that he has decided to not take the field this weekend. It would be an awful shame and injustice were he to end his sporting career as a result of racism. Many AFL players this weekend will make a public show of their support for Goodes. We applaud them, and we urge our readers to stand with them as part of a national declaration that this sorry chapter is not only closed, but that it cannot be repeated if we are to be truly able to say our nation is based on respect, decency and fairness.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/booing-adam-goodes-australians-must-unite-against-racism-20150731-giosk2.html#ixzz3hWHKzCSm

To use words like political correctness has become itself politically correct. It is becoming a redundant term used to justify all manner of wrongs.

The article would have people treat Adam differently based on his skin color, which is in fact racist.

The moral arbiters cannot seem to fathom that their own justification for their argument defines them as racist.

'Treat Adams Goodes differently because he is different'

If you do it in a nice way you will be just like us.... Smile still racist... but our sorta racist.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Why do I hate political correctness?
Political correctness is a perception that individuals feel when their
Liberties and freedoms are under threat by rules, regulations, restrictions and conventions.
It is done for the so called protection or benefit of society or the individual. It is the overarching and intrusive nature of the beast the makes individuals like me feel disconnected and angry at the all-pervading way it is carried out.
If you live in China it is very easy to work out that criticism of the communist party is not politically correct. Boo the communist, criticize the party cadres, burn their flag and you will find a prison cell awaits you. In Australia it is much more subtle than that.
I will give one small example I dont recycle I dont believe it is useful or even wise, but that is just me. But now not only am I subject to campaigns and slogans I am compelled by law to put my cans and other so called recyclables in a special bin. Most of this rubbish is put in landfills anyway.
In the recycling case I am being compelled to do something that to me is useless, a waste of my time and to me does not do one thing to improve the environment and in fact distracts from other more pressing environmental issues.
But it is politically correct to recycle and I am compelled by law to do it.
Point 2. For twilight and night games full length beer is banned!
Why? It is because they fear that the plebs, that is you and me, may get a little over the top and start fighting or worse enjoy themselves. Of course it is for yours and the crowd safety.
But as my brother said do you think they are drinking light beer in the corporate boxes now?
So the plebs drink crap and the corporates drink champagne. This is the flip side of political correctness one rule for us and one for them.
You cant have drunks at the footy unless they are corporate drunks.. come on down John Elliot!
So now booing is under threat
People have had the right to boo for over 2500 years and it is one way of getting audience participation. If it is banned for Adam it must be logically banned for all.
Irrespective of whether it is racist, the blanket banning or discouragement of booing takes away another slice of freedom another downer in participating in a tribal ceremony that started out when I was a kid as fun but now is becoming tedious and boring. More and more I blame the corporates, the PC police and the overreaching of rules and regulations and conventions and restrictions for my condition.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:10 pm

^

Your argument is based on misrepresenting the article in the same way that Goodes over the 13 yr old matter has been misrepresented despite the facts of the matter being available to read.

For me the part about the meanness & nastiness rings seems to capture "it" in the Editorial above.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 27 of 53   

Jump to: