Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies players should show support for Goodes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodes is being booed not because of his Indigenous background but because he epitomises the political correctness that has emerged and is now rearing its ugly head in Australia.

When supporters are told by the AFL and the media to behave in a certain way, this results in a rebellion against these outlets which is not surprising. Adam Goodes is a symbolic figure of this political correctness and does himself no favours in the way he conducts himself.

He's been a great footballer for Sydney for many years so that's not the issue in question. The issue in question is that Adam has created division in the community and this has upset people. I understand he's passionate about Indigenous causes but doing such things as ridiculing the Australian Constitution, saying Europeans killed, raped and stole from Aboriginal people (using 'Europeans' in a very loose manner) and humiliating a 13 year old has done him no favours along with other things he's mentioned and stated over the years.

Adam also embodies a personality that is unlikeable and stubborn and his playing antics such as diving, playing for free kicks and thuggish acts towards opposition players makes people angry because he is viewed as a protected species by the AFL and the media.

I'm certain that a small percentage boo Adam Goodes because they are racists and have an issue towards Indigenous Australians but to categorise everyone as racists because they boo the man is unacceptable and irresponsible and the likes of Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham are leading the pack here in making comments of that nature. Paul Roos' comments on AFL 360 on Monday night that if Adam 'feels the boos are racists, therefore it's racist' are absurd and don't make any logical sense.

For what it's worth I don't boo Goodes personally unless he has a set shot at goal against Collingwood or he commits an untoward act towards one of our players where such a reaction will exist.

If this was a race issue why are 70 other Indigenous players on a playing list not receiving boos of a similar nature to Goodes? Clearly the issue is Goodes himself and not racism and taking stress leave depicts him as a weak individual.

E 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:01 am

Defender wrote:
E wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-17/dont-lose-the-boos

Then Don’t Sook every Monday that People are Booing you ADAM

Dave, I think this article is a year old. A year later, I think his mood might have changed as the treatment has become more targeted and more charged.

I understand that people on this board have been asked not to tease you relentlessly. Why? a little teasing is fine and in good fun, but a relentless attack on you (or any poster for that matter) is not fair and can have bad consequences.

I would think you of all people would understand this.......

That's a bit below the belt isn't it? Goodes doesn't have a disability mate.

We respect Dave because of his disability (although I didn't know that) and treat him with respect accordingly. Goodes clearly has a sensitivity to the booing after years of trying to accept it and it is reaching a critical point where he doesn't even feel he can play footy anymore. why isn't that an issue that we should be sensitive to and respect. Especially people who get protected and unnatural treatment from others for an equally compassionate reason.

Or are you saying that we cant expect Dave to be able to understand the similarity between how we treat him, and how the AFl is asking us to treat Goodes?

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:02 am

Jezza wrote:
Goodes is being booed not because of his Indigenous background but because he epitomises the political correctness that has emerged and is now rearing its ugly head in Australia.

When supporters are told by the AFL and the media to behave in a certain way, this results in a rebellion against these outlets which is not surprising. Adam Goodes is a symbolic figure of this political correctness and does himself no favours in the way he conducts himself.

He's been a great footballer for Sydney for many years so that's not the issue in question. The issue in question is that Adam has created division in the community and this has upset people. I understand he's passionate about Indigenous causes but doing such things as ridiculing the Australian Constitution, saying Europeans killed, raped and stole from Aboriginal people (using 'Europeans' in a very loose manner) and humiliating a 13 year old has done him no favours along with other things he's mentioned and stated over the years.

Adam also embodies a personality that is unlikeable and stubborn and his playing antics such as diving, playing for free kicks and thuggish acts towards opposition players makes people angry because he is viewed as a protected species by the AFL and the media.

I'm certain that a small percentage boo Adam Goodes because they are racists and have an issue towards Indigenous Australians but to categorise everyone as racists because they boo the man is unacceptable and irresponsible and the likes of Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham are leading the pack here in making comments of that nature. Paul Roos' comments on AFL 360 on Monday night that if Adam 'feels the boos are racists, therefore it's racist' are absurd and don't make any logical sense.

For what it's worth I don't boo Goodes personally unless he has a set shot at goal against Collingwood or he commits an untoward act towards one of our players where such a reaction will exist.

If this was a race issue why are 70 other Indigenous players on a playing list not receiving boos of a similar nature to Goodes? Clearly the issue is Goodes himself and not racism and taking stress leave depicts him as a weak individual.

Post of the year.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:05 am

Defender wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Post of the year.

its a good post, its just that it focuses on the boo-er and not the boo-ee.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:59 am

Jezza wrote:

I totally disagree. It's a poor argument to suggest political correctness at work here. I hear this political correctness cry a lot. It's usually when people holding thoroughly offensive views are called out. It's about common, human decency Jezza. You mention Andrew pridham and Paul Roos and because they are Sydney aligned men, you reject their argumets. Let me present another footy man who said similar things this week; his name is Nathan Buckley and he said that the people booing Adam Goodes are "the lowest common denominator'. Can't be any clearer than that. You can boo Goodes and be labelled a racist or you can choose not to boo. Easy choice I would have thought. And again, anybody over 12 years of age booing anyone, anywhere is half a chromosome from a chimp.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:53 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Jezza wrote:

I totally disagree. It's a poor argument to suggest political correctness at work here. I hear this political correctness cry a lot. It's usually when people holding thoroughly offensive views are called out. It's about common, human decency Jezza. You mention Andrew pridham and Paul Roos and because they are Sydney aligned men, you reject their argumets. Let me present another footy man who said similar things this week; his name is Nathan Buckley and he said that the people booing Adam Goodes are "the lowest common denominator'. Can't be any clearer than that. You can boo Goodes and be labelled a racist or you can choose not to boo. Easy choice I would have thought. And again, anybody over 12 years of age booing anyone, anywhere is half a chromosome from a chimp.

Jezza & Neil I agree with parts of both arguments.
Firstly I don't for one second believe everyone who boo's Adam Goodes is a racist. Secondly Goodes actions during his playing career have been very questionable at times and if you look at history booing a former player from your club now at another or booing a player such as Lockett because he was so dang good or booing a thug footballer who cheap shotted a player of your team previously has been in the game forever. I remember players like Buckley, Hird Voss Carey Hall etc being booed at nearly every game they played so why is this any different to the Goodes situation ?
On the reverse the constant booing of Goodes from all club supporters seems to have been prolonged and sustained without a real cause. He hasn't done anything in the past few months different than any other part of his career so why chose now to boo him at every opportunity.
For mine its a case of monkey see monkey do (no that's not racist remark just a old adage)
I'm sure most people booing him just do it simply because they know it's annoying him and think it's funny.
Goodes has made the statement he believes it to be racially motivated and for that everyone should reflect and quit it because no one deserves to be made to feel this way.
But to be told you must do this or that by the games overlords who really aren't on the moral high ground to do so stinks of political correctness gone mad.
I never boo any players simply because I wouldn't waste my breathe of giving them any extra attention.
This never should have reached such fever pitch for mine Goodes could have simply kissed his Brownlows and premiership rings and said thanks guys hoping to add more would have made a bigger statement.
I hope he returns to the paddock and plays out his remaining games before retiring one of the best players (of any race) to ever lace on a boot.
My biggest concern is in the very near future we play the swans and I hope none of our supporters decide to push the off button on commonsense and boo him. This will undoubtably be made a huge issue and the club will be made the scape goat for all things bad in society.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:12 am

For my part, I buy into most of the arguments for Aboriginal Australia deserving greater recognition for what they suffered and the consequences that endure. None of that makes me feel good about a harbourside millionaire with enormous power picking a 13 year old girl from Moe out of a crowd to be held up to ridicule and contempt. If he had said it after the match, i would have thought it good that he did so. Doing it in the way that he did turned something that had minimal consequences for him into something that could have ended very badly indeed for this child. She was not my daughter, who was about the same age at the time, and probably would not have said what the girl from Moe did - but then again, she might have, in a thoughtless moment, without realising or processing the overtone, in the moment. Is that the world we now live in, where we will humiliate a 13 year old kid on national TV like that ?

I do not really care if our elites consider his actions heroic - i do not. I consider them the self-seeking and ireesponsible actions of an egoistic man in love with his own influence, as shown by his provocative, attention-seeking and crowd-inciting dance.

That was all compounded when our elites absurdly named him Australian of the year for his actions. He has become the symbol of elite connivance in a narrative about Aboriginal Australia which makes them feel a little better about themselves without actually putting their hands in their pockets or sacrificing anything serious in recompense.

I don't boo opposition players, but right now, i'd be tempted.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:12 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Long story short, don't try and further your cause at a $£$%^%%$ child's expense, it's not hard to work out mate.

You like this.
magpie1111 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:25 am

Razor Ray was boooed last night now racists are targeting white folk wish they would make their mind up
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:32 am

magpie1111 wrote:
Razor Ray was boooed last night now racists are targeting white folk wish they would make their mind up

Adam won't like that, razor has scottage heritage like he does, damn!!

You like this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:33 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Yes. Complaining about "political correctness" is what people do when they want to cling indignantly to Neanderthal views.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:01 am

^ sometimes, P4S, but not necessarily. I'd say that Goodes is being given credibility on this issue because of the nature of the issue itself, despite the inflammatory way he has pursued it and the ambiguities in the case. That seems to me political correctness. One does not have to hold neanderthal views to say that the behaviour of an individual can be objectionable even if that behaviour is wrapped in the cloak of a good cause (ie anti-racism).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:06 am

He's not being booed because his behaviour is "objectionable" per se. If that were it, there are a couple of hundred AFL players we'd be booing ahead of him. The problem people have with him is that he's indigenous and objectionable.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:26 am

Exactly right pies4shaw. Goodes is an agitator and unlike the other Indigenous players he had a platform as Australian of The Year and is creating waves.

Boos are given for lots of reasons - and even the Boos for Goodes are for a multitude of reasons - but clearly some are due to his profile and his actions over the years including his calling out the racist taunt from the 13 year old collingwood supporter and the follow-up when Eddie suggesting he could play King Kong.

He called it how he saw it - vilification.

Some might feel he has used his profile to raise non-footy issues - but that is his right. Ultimately it will do more good than harm. With some of the stirring it seems a few pieces of crud have come loose and that is good to.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:34 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

And again, anybody over 12 years of age booing anyone, anywhere is half a chromosome from a chimp.

Yes. Complaining about "political correctness" is what people do when they want to cling indignantly to Neanderthal views.

And then a child calls someone an ape and we wonder how we got here.

yin-YANG wrote:
Exactly right pies4shaw. Goodes is an agitator and unlike the other Indigenous players he had a platform as Australian of The Year and is creating waves.

Boos are given for lots of reasons - and even the Boos for Goodes are for a multitude of reasons - but clearly some are due to his profile and his actions over the years including his calling out the racist taunt from the 13 year old collingwood supporter and the follow-up when Eddie suggesting he could play King Kong.

He called it how he saw it - vilification.

Some might feel he has used his profile to raise non-footy issues - but that is his right. Ultimately it will do more good than harm. With some of the stirring it seems a few pieces of crud have come loose and that is good to.

Unfortunately I feel this has done much more harm that good. Especially for the game itself.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 26 of 53   

Jump to: