Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies players should show support for Goodes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:54 am
Post subject: Pies players should show support for GoodesReply with quote

Although Adam Goodes is copping boos for a host of reasons - it is clear that they also relate to the colour of his skin and his actions in the past. Some Indigenous players and some of their family members are offended and I think whatever your reasons for booing- please consider this is more than booing an ex-player or a sniper or a show -off etc.

Given the issues with Goodes and Eddie and the racist taunts by Collingwood supporters and players over the last few years and decades I think it would be a wonderful opportunity to build bridges with the Collingwood players leading the way and coming out before the Collingwood v Sydney game in a few weeks time and publicly urging supporters not to boo. And for us the Mighty Magpie Army to respond appropriately.

Australia has a shocking history in dealing with Indigenous people - we are hopefully in a period of healing and coming together. Every small gesture matters and I think the players and supporters of our club should be on the right side of history and do us all proud!

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

On further reflection maybe Eddie and Bux should also join the players - would help heal some old wounds perhaps? And a stronger gesture from the club.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 am

This topic will, of course, attract the usual bunch of "I'm not a racist but I don't like Goodes because" responses, just as the threads in "Other AFL" did. It will make for embarrassing reading - just as the booing causes embarrassment when one observes it happening at games. I went to see all of the great Blooz flogs from the 60s onwards play against our team. Some of them were completely objectionable to Collingwood supporters but they never, ever attracted the hostility that Adam Goodes does. We used to boo people because they did something we considered to be horrendous on the field (eg, Jesaulenko fainting near Stan the Man that day) but even against the Old Enemy, we never sustained it and I can't recall it ever crossing over from game to game the way this does.

Of course, if Adam Goodes was the only stager etc in the AFL, a little occasional derision at the ground might just about be capable of justification. But he isn't - he's plainly getting booed because he has declined to "stay in his place".

I'm with you. I hope our players can express their support. I also hope our supporters can refrain from booing him. He has been a brilliant footballer over a very long period of time and the booing is distressing and disturbing.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:51 am

What would the reaction be if, after Goodes puts on his 'war dance' during the forthcoming game against Collingwood, another aboriginal play like Varcoe responded by throwing an imaginary spear directly at Goodes? Would this be OK? Perhaps something like this needs to happen to put all this into perspective.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:23 am

Being from an ethnic background and living through the 70’s & 80’s when it was dam hard you get harden up and cop it on the chin (mine you, I threw a lot back the other way) this doesn’t make it right though and times have changed. yin -Yang, don’t think anyone is clear on if this is racism or because Goodes is just a flog.

What I believe is that Goodes, Jetta, Sydney and most of the media are looking at the easy option to decipher this by saying it’s because of a skin colour??? Really, that clear? I’m hearing confusion everywhere.

Turning back the boats... is our Government racist????

CEO MaCfloppyhair is now saying we can’t Boo Goodes, my question is, are we allowed to Boo other footballer or is this a protect Goodes law??? I’m confused.

I have a lot of mates that are Black, White, Yellow, missing limbs, can’t speak, can’t hear....but we still rib each other and walk away laughing....

Goodes my man, on the show “Who do you think you are” a few years ago you discovered that you had a White father (Goodes' father is of English, Irish and Scottish ancestry; his mother is an Indigenous Australian).... have you noted the significance of that? or is it ease to continue to work on your Nicky Winmar” moment???

Booing Goodes, doesn’t faze me, I’d rather not see it because it’s just immature and a copycat opportunity from young morons in the crowd...remember the 12 year old girl that you hung out to dry, how’s she going these days Goodeys? have you checked in with her? Have you sort help for her? You were the Australian of the year, opportunity missed with the little girl!? Missed a big opportunity there or was it, I haven't heard anything? Keep polishing your medal and attacking AFL crowds with that nonsense dance.

A flogs a flog, Black, White or Yellow!

Last edited by Darkstranger on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:27 am

^^^ "All flogs in every team always get booed every time they go near the ball at every match.

Adams Goodes is the only flog in the AFL.

Therefore, Adam Goodes is the only player in the AFL who gets booed every time he goes near the ball at every match."

See any problems with that logic?
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:41 am

My deleted post aside (was in poor taste, was just making a point), I think it's time everyone moved on, Adam included, the more fuss the powers that be make the worse it will get.

Booing is a form of bullying, if the bully thinks he's getting to you he'll continue to do it, ignore the bully and he'll eventually find new prey.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:00 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
Being from an ethnic background and living through the 70’s & 80’s when it was dam hard you get harden up and cop it on the chin (mine you, I threw a lot back the other way) this doesn’t make it right though and times have changed. yin -Yang, don’t think anyone is clear on if this is racism or because Goodes is just a flog.

What I believe is that Goodes, Jetta, Sydney and most of the media are looking at the easy option to decipher this by saying it’s because of a skin colour??? Really, that clear? I’m hearing confusion everywhere.

CEO MaCfloppyhair is now saying we can’t Boo Goodes, my question is, are we allowed to Boo other footballer or is this a protect Goodes law??? I’m confused.

I have a lot of mates that are Black, White, Yellow, missing limbs, can’t speak, can’t hear....but we still rib each other and walk away laughing....

Goodes my man, on the show “Who do you think you are” a few years ago you discovered that you had a White father (Goodes' father is of English, Irish and Scottish ancestry; his mother is an Indigenous Australian).... have you noted the significance of that? or is it ease to continue to work on your Nicky Winmar” moment???

Booing Goodes, doesn’t faze me, I’d rather not see it because it’s just immature and a copycat opportunity from young morons in the crowd...remember the 12 year old girl that you hung out to dry, how’s she going these days Goodeys? have you checked in with her? Have you sort help for her? You were the Australian of the year, opportunity missed with the little girl!? Missed a big opportunity there or was it, I haven't heard anything? Keep polishing your medal and attacking AFL crowds with that nonsense dance.

Absolutely Spot On.
Great post mate.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:00 pm

I wonder how the umpires feel??
Really this whole booing whoever has been done to death hasn't it? Adam áint the first sportsperson to be booed and he won't be the last.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 pm

You are curious about how the umpires feel.
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:14 pm

You can't remove race from this issue no matter how much anyone tries to skirt around the issue. The reason you can't is because it has been made an issue by indigenous australians. Non indigenous australians then saying that the matter isn't of importance or is take out of context doesn't change the central fact.

Indigenous footballers feel that Goodes (or themselves) receive booing due to their skin colour. That's the issue.

No matter if you think that they are wrong or right that is the issue.

If they feel that the issue is there then as a sport, country whatever we now need to deal with it. Just like homophobia, womens rights etc these issues need to be sorted out. They are much bigger than football.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:18 pm

Wouldn't it be great if Collingwood was significant in not booing Goodes, especially given our somewhat checkered race-relations history.

The mindless booing of Bucks and Dids gave me the shits for long enough. With the uncertainty of the intention of booing Goodes, I wont be doing so.

Jobe Watson, however, is an admitted drug cheat...
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:45 pm

I'd like the senseless booing of Goodes to stop too. I'd also like he and others to refrain from antagonising the crowd with imaginary spear throwing and fisting. As a person with a long association with remote Aboriginal communities, I think its wonderful to see a great Aboriginal player expressing pride in his culture, however I think it is very wrong of Goodes or anyone else, to direct such obviously provocative gestures towards the crowd.

Finally, the last thing we need are suits telling us who we can or can't boo. Perhaps if Goodes displayed a bit more humour and just laughed off the booing, or treated it as a compliment, it would more likely dissipate.
slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:09 pm

Collingwood should concentrate on beating Sydney....if the Swans and Goodes have a problem, that is theirs to deal with.

We cannot allow ourselves to be distracted by things that don't involve us (Keefe and Thomas are enough as it is)

Triple C Virgo

triple c

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Darkstranger wrote:

Quoted for truth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 1 of 53   

Jump to: