Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Labor to turn back the boats.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:18 pm
Post subject: Labor to turn back the boats.Reply with quote

I gave it 2 days, no-one else put it up, so I will.

2 days ago, prior to the ALP national conference, Bill Shorten signalled that he would largely mirror coalition policy on dealing with people smugglers and boats.

Richard Marles, shadow minister for immigration wrote this quite good (IMO) article for the Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/why-labor-will-turn-back-asylum-seeker-boats/story-fnpp4dl6-1227452939807

My summary, what he's saying is the coalition policy works, so they'll follow the same principles just do it in a more humane manner while also increasing the refugee intake from legit sources and put more effort into that.

It's going to cop some spirited discussion at the ALP conference and promises to be a bit of a test of Shortens leadership. At least 1 union has supposedly threatened to break ranks with the Labor Left to make sure Shorten gets his way, make of that what you will.

Personally, I think it's a good move.

I agree with the philosophy of stopping the boats and stopping the people smugglers. I also agree with the philosophy of putting more resource and money into the people waiting in refugee camps.

Politically it neutralises a Labor weakness at worst and at best makes it a slight strength. Boat people is a hot button of the public, adopting the stance of the left to just let em all in would be political suicide. By taking this stance, Labor would be saying they are the same as the coalition, but nicer. One large issue rendered a non issue, no political mileage to be made, removes it from the table and (potentially) makes the forthcoming election about other issues. Smart move.

This is pretty much the first stanza of Labor showing their policy hand. It will be interesting to see how it goes from here. If they're smart, this would be the blueprint. Expect to see more of this, with the big points of difference being kept up the sleeve til campaign time.

Sorry David, little Bill may be in it for the long haul.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Labor and Liberal are almost the exact same now
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:35 pm

In some ways Dave, not in others.

The trick is to identify the areas of difference and sell them hard, those are the areas that then decide elections.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:48 pm
Post subject: Re: Labor to turn back the boats.Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:

My summary, what he's saying is the coalition policy works, so they'll follow the same principles just do it in a more humane manner while also increasing the refugee intake from legit sources and put more effort into that.

It's a difficult and unpleasant choice, but the right move. I guess the question is what they mean by "a more humane manner". The most "humane" thing to do is to settle the people in the community while their asylum application is processed. The trouble is, it won't work because they'll vanish into the black economy and the smugglers will accelerate their business.

Europe, by the way, has the same problem except about a thousand times larger. The combination of a declining economy, high welfare, weak political systems and proximity to some of the poorest and most unstable parts of the world is combustible indeed. Travel to Italy today and the rise of racism caused by the stresses of unmanaged immigration is vivid.

This interconnected world of cheap travel, exposed choices and exploitable universal laws is going to take a lot of managing.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:18 pm

• 1: It's a sensible, pragmatic political move.
  • 2: It is very cynical and unprincipled, though on a cynicism scale of 1 to 10 with Abbott the benchmark 10, it's only about a 7 - which is still very bad.
  • 3: Abbott's dreadful policy didn't "stop the boats", by far the biggest factor in stopping the boats was the dual introduction of offshore processing and a cast-iron promise that, as of that day, no-one arriving illegally by boat would be resettled in Australia. This fundamental change came about under Rudd Mark II. After that, all Abbott's insane cruelty and secrecy was just about pointless, the real work was already done. But note carefully: while it was Rudd Mark II who stopped the boats, he only did that because Abbott & Co made it politically impossible for him to do anything much else, so while any honest assessment of practical effect must credit the Rudd Mark II policy with the lion's share of the work, the moral credit belongs to Abbott. (Or, if you regard stopping the boats as a bad thing, then the moral discredit.)
  • 4: Labor are promising to double the actual refugee intake, which is a very good thing indeed. Note that the people allowed in under this policy will (just as they were under Rudd II) be bona fide refugees under the auspices of UNHCR - i.e., not the economic migrants and the queue jumpers. Full credit to Labor here.
  • 5: None of this will do anything whatsoever to deal with the real problem in Australia, which is not the tiny handful of informal refugees trying to arrive by boat, nor the tiny number of formal refugees we take through channels, the problem it is the massive number of economic migrants we bring in every damn year, straining our economy, reducing our living standards, buggering up our cities and our environment, and pissing off most Australians right royally. Time after time after time the people of Australia, when polled, vote overwhelming against high immigration, but nearly all the politicians in Canberra do not give a stuff. Shorten is just as bad as Abbott in this regard. Big business wants population growth at any cost and the pollies can't bend over and grease up fast enough. This whole boats thing is nothing but a smoke screen to distract us from the real problem.
  • 6: Top post, Stui. I don't agree with all of it, but well expressed and argued.
  • 7: But I'll have to pull you up on your claim that Labor isn't announcing any big points of difference yet. They announced a whopper this week, a 50% renewable energy target and a long-overdue ETS. That's a much bigger announcement than this relatively minor adjustment to boat arrival policy, and it could not be more different from the other mob's disgraceful stance.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:27 pm

^ I agree with that, Tannin. The belief in the beneficence of large-scale immigration happens to bring together the right, who know that it drives down low-skill labour costs and drives demand growth, and the Left, which see it as an expression of their universalism, or (less charitably) a counter to national traditions and continuities that they dislike.

Accordingly, for too long, support for it has been religious, with any dissent regarded as heretical.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:38 pm

What about the Greens point of view about how turning the boats back is just telling them to go and die somewhere else? Do you guys think that's a valid point?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:58 pm

Dangles wrote:
What about the Greens point of view about how turning the boats back is just telling them to go and die somewhere else? Do you guys think that's a valid point?

personally, No. It's utterly invalid.

Read the article I linked written by the shadow immigration minister.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Dangles wrote:

Firstly, that assumes that they are genuine asylum seekers, and that's rather hard to verify.

Even if they are genuine, however, then actually, we do that every day. You do. I do. All over Sub-Saharan Africa children die daily, because we do not take the perfectly plausible step of picking them up and bringing them to Australia. Because we have a cappuccino rather than donate the $4 to World Vision for rehydration salts. Why is it suddenly different because they have managed to raise the funds to pay a criminal gang to smuggle them to Australia ?

There is a kind of Leftism that is sugary - it tastes (morally) great, it makes you feel good about yourself, so it has to be good for you, right ? Well, no, actually. Some things that are moral, or right, in the short term, are powerfully destructive if generalised/overindulged. You cannot run an economy or a society like a mission and expect it to endure.

None of that justifies beaing beastly to asylum seekers, but it does mean being firm about the fact that our borders are not effectively open to anyone who can buy the gang's ticket. I believe it is best for the would-be arrivals (drownings etc), as well as for Australian society.

We should take people from refugee camps who are clearly in desperate need, subject to our ability to sustain the economic, environmental and social progress of our society. We should not encourage the people-smuggling industry.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:20 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Dangles wrote:

personally, No. It's utterly invalid.

Read the article I linked written by the shadow immigration minister.

^paywall, sorry.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:22 pm

Dangles wrote:

^ Roll up, roll up, the titanic rematch! Let Round 4371 begin!

Um, yes, this has been discussed here before. Just a little bit. Well, a lot. I think the Cloke thread was marginally longer, though considerably less vituperative. Smile

But for the record, I'll provide my take on it, which is (1) that that view is superficially plausible but badly lacking in genuine thought. In reality, the people able to travel through many countries and eventually arrive here by boat are, amongst the mass of refugees, the wealthiest and most able to look after themselves. They may not be so by your standards or mine, but by the standards of the millions of other refugees, these are the wealthy, powerful elite. Or in some cases, just the most unscrupulous. These are the ones who least need our help. It's the ones dying in refugee camps we should, as a matter of humanity, prioritise.

Point (2) is that we are absolutely bloody terrible at helping deal with the causes of refugee outfluxes. We seldom do any bloody thing at all, and when we do, it's usually clumsy, unimaginative and very nearly always counter-productive military or quasi-military involvement as a side-kick of the USA. Mostly, when we do this, it makes things worse rather than better. I'm not agin military involvement where it is carefully targeted and, on balance, genuinely in the interests of the people concerned (East Timor is an example, and although that nation has its problems and our conduct was not entirely above board (consider the hushed-up spying and oil rights scandals), it is unquestionably far better off today than it would have been without our help - and there would have also been far greater flow of refugees into Darwin. The obvious recent counter-example is our insane involvement in the Middle-east, which started badly, got worse, and wound up giving ISIS to the world.

But I don't want to get too focused on military questions here. In general, it is far, far more effective to render aid in more subtle and long-lasting ways. Dealing honestly and openly on the diplomatic level; providing help with crucial enablers of peace, democracy and well-being such as (above all) education, especially for girls; and most of all, fair dealing on trade.

Next (3), we need to set a realistic immigration target and stick to it. Whatever that agreed target is (I'd argue for zero net after outflows, but would be prepared to compromise at 20,000 or even 50,000), we should stipulate that first call on part of that quota should go to genuine refugees. I suggest 80% of it, but I'm open to negotiation on that number too.

And finally (4) we should give serious thought to nutting out a practical, humane, workable scheme for temporary relief. Howard's temporary protection visas didn't work and were justly unpopular, but if we could be assured that a person wanting to come here and claiming dire necessity was not coming here to stay forever and breed a zillion children as well, but coming here for an extended visit with a clear plan and expectation that they would go home (or to some other place) when possible, people would be a lot more welcoming. If you call me up and say you need somewhere to sleep, can you stay at my house, yes, of course, you are welcome. If you then move into my spare room and never bloody move out again, it's a very different matter. I don't know how such a scheme could work, but there must be some way to do it better than we do it now.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:32 pm

Tannin wrote:
Dangles wrote:

^ Roll up, roll up, the titanic rematch! Let Round 4371 begin!

Um, yes, this has been discussed here before. Just a little bit. Well, a lot. I think the Cloke thread was marginally longer, though considerably less vituperative. Smile

But for the record, I'll provide my take on it, which is (1) that that view is superficially plausible but badly lacking in genuine thought. In reality, the people able to travel through many countries and eventually arrive here by boat are, amongst the mass of refugees, the wealthiest and most able to look after themselves. They may not be so by your standards or mine, but by the standards of the millions of other refugees, these are the wealthy, powerful elite. Or in some cases, just the most unscrupulous. These are the ones who least need our help. It's the ones dying in refugee camps we should, as a matter of humanity, prioritise.

Point (2) is that we are absolutely bloody terrible at helping deal with the causes of refugee outfluxes. We seldom do any bloody thing at all, and when we do, it's usually clumsy, unimaginative and very nearly always counter-productive military or quasi-military involvement as a side-kick of the USA. Mostly, when we do this, it makes things worse rather than better. I'm not agin military involvement where it is carefully targeted and, on balance, genuinely in the interests of the people concerned (East Timor is an example, and although that nation has its problems and our conduct was not entirely above board (consider the hushed-up spying and oil rights scandals), it is unquestionably far better off today than it would have been without our help - and there would have also been far greater flow of refugees into Darwin. The obvious recent counter-example is our insane involvement in the Middle-east, which started badly, got worse, and wound up giving ISIS to the world.

But I don't want to get too focused on military questions here. In general, it is far, far more effective to render aid in more subtle and long-lasting ways. Dealing honestly and openly on the diplomatic level; providing help with crucial enablers of peace, democracy and well-being such as (above all) education, especially for girls; and most of all, fair dealing on trade.

Next (3), we need to set a realistic immigration target and stick to it. Whatever that agreed target is (I'd argue for zero net after outflows, but would be prepared to compromise at 20,000 or even 50,000), we should stipulate that first call on part of that quota should go to genuine refugees. I suggest 80% of it, but I'm open to negotiation on that number too.

And finally (4) we should give serious thought to nutting out a practical, humane, workable scheme for temporary relief. Howard's temporary protection visas didn't work and were justly unpopular, but if we could be assured that a person wanting to come here and claiming dire necessity was not coming here to stay forever and breed a zillion children as well, but coming here for an extended visit with a clear plan and expectation that they would go home (or to some other place) when possible, people would be a lot more welcoming. If you call me up and say you need somewhere to sleep, can you stay at my house, yes, of course, you are welcome. If you then move into my spare room and never bloody move out again, it's a very different matter. I don't know how such a scheme could work, but there must be some way to do it better than we do it now.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:59 pm

A quite excellent post, Mugwamp. I admire your solid reasoning, outstanding clear expression, and thoughtful, practical conclusions immensely, and concur in every respect, bar one. As is the nature of things, this is the one I will respond to.

Mugwump wrote:
There is a kind of Leftism that is sugary - it tastes (morally) great, it makes you feel good about yourself, so it has to be good for you, right ? Well, no, actually.

Oh dear, you are doing it again. Tarring the left with sins which are not in the slightest left in nature, I mean.

The reason the Fitzroy trendies think that way isn't 'cause they are "lefties", it's because they (a) can't think very clearly anyway, and (b) are deeply status-conscious in a way they deny furiously but is written all over them like a bad tattoo. They can identify with the intelligentsia refugee, the Iraqi doctor, the Syrian engineering student, the educated middle-class Iranian woman who speaks perfect Farsi, fairly reasonable English, and can converse intelligently about film genres or interior decoration, or at very least the sharp-eyed children who can read and write.

These are the people your Fitzroy trendy can relate to. He or she can understand their story, genuinely like and want to help. And these are the people who, however hard their circumstances, are vastly better off and vastly more able to cope with hard times than the great, hidden, anonymous masses of refugees in infinitely worse trouble: the illiterate peasants, the unskilled labourers, the widows and the orphans, the crippled and the sick. Our Fitzroy trendy doesn't know how to relate to those people. Even if he or she heard their story (which he wouldn't 'coz they mostly don't speak English and aren't here anyway to tell it and - in particular - because they live in such a different world that their tale would be largely meaningless to Mr Fitzroy Trendy), it would not resonate; it would not be informed with something interestingly foreign-tinged but nevertheless chockablock full of middle-class experiences and values remarkably akin to Mr Fitzroy Trendy's own.

The struggle for refugee status and a life in Australia, to borrow a phrase you may have heard somewhere before, is a class struggle, and as always with class struggles, no matter what nation they belong to the petit bourgeois are on the side of the petit bourgeois and the starving lumpenproletariat in the teeming border camps are of no real interest to them.

In short - that one misconception about the Fitzroy mentality aside - I am agreeing with you, and I fully support your view that "we should take people from refugee camps who are clearly in desperate need". Welcome to the left wing struggle for peace and international justice, Comrade Mugwamp. Your party membership is in the mail.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:15 pm

^ fair enough, Tannin. I wasn;t actually trying to tar all of the Left, which is why i referred to " a kind of Leftism" . I'm not sure it is restricted to the Fitzroy hipsters, though.

The Left I admire is one which has a hard-eyed and realistic view of human nature, and thinks carefully about long-term consequences - then takes practical steps to reduce inequality, expand opportunity, and put curbs on power and wealth without falling for short-termist feel-good idealism. That's all I meant.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:25 pm

Tannin wrote:

• 6: Top post, Stui. I don't agree with all of it, but well expressed and argued.
  • 7: But I'll have to pull you up on your claim that Labor isn't announcing any big points of difference yet. They announced a whopper this week, a 50% renewable energy target and a long-overdue ETS. That's a much bigger announcement than this relatively minor adjustment to boat arrival policy, and it could not be more different from the other mob's disgraceful stance.

And we all know that this big announcement is nothing more than .... an announcement. BFD!
Anyone can announce anything. Do you believe Bill?😂😂😂😂

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12   

Jump to: