Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Labor to turn back the boats.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^For the 28th million time on Nick's, including long posts replete with the relevant data and analyses, that has been debunked as nonsense. The arrivals pretty much match world people movement numbers and bear no serious correlation to anything else.

E.g.,

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollytics/2009/10/19/push-vs-pull-asylum-seeker-numbers-and-statistics/

Not to mention now we have no clue what's going on thanks to the Stasi's information blackout.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:56 am

^ Just read it, with rising eyebrows. And then i pulled this out :

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/00CBC69E-AB63-4C2A-876C-6A1BE7AFA2E8/0/refugeeandprotectionstatusstatisticspack.pdf

New Zealand's numbers have been broadly similar between 2005 and 2013, with little year on year variation, while Australia;'s soared between 2011 and 2012/2013. With a population of around 20% of Australia's, in 2012, New Zealand had 324 claims to our 17,000 odd. (btw They accept ca 25% of those compared to the 90% of Australian applicants quoted above).

Oh, and yes, let's "ignore 2002 as an outlier", he says.... we wouldn't want the reaction to Australian government policy, post-Tampa, to skew our results, would we ?

The academic rigour of the blog is probably illustrated by its littered references to "ratbaggery" and "boneheads" etc.

The global data shows that there was a dramatic reduction in asylum claims globally post 2001. This probably reflects the tightening of eligibility restrictions post 9/11, and the increasing awareness of the issue among Western governments, rather than any dramatic reduction in world mayhem in the post-Iraq and Afghanistan era. Correlation is not causation, etc.

None of that denies that push factors play a role. If you look at the Libyan and Syrian arrivals into the EU in the last two years, it's fairly obvious that they will. But attempts to make the case that "it's just about push factors" on the back of this tendentious "analysis", are not credible. You don't need a chi-square to see that Government policy in Australia plays a role in the number of boat arrivals.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:59 am

Some of them could be though.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:19 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ Just read it, with rising eyebrows. And then i pulled this out :

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/00CBC69E-AB63-4C2A-876C-6A1BE7AFA2E8/0/refugeeandprotectionstatusstatisticspack.pdf

New Zealand's numbers have been broadly similar between 2005 and 2013, with little year on year variation, while Australia;'s soared between 2011 and 2012/2013. With a population of around 20% of Australia's, in 2012, New Zealand had 324 claims to our 17,000 odd. (btw They accept ca 25% of those compared to the 90% of Australian applicants quoted above).

Oh, and yes, let's "ignore 2002 as an outlier", he says.... we wouldn't want the reaction to Australian government policy, post-Tampa, to skew our results, would we ?

The academic rigour of the blog is probably illustrated by its littered references to "ratbaggery" and "boneheads" etc.

The global data shows that there was a dramatic reduction in asylum claims globally post 2001. This probably reflects the tightening of eligibility restrictions post 9/11, and the increasing awareness of the issue among Western governments, rather than any dramatic reduction in world mayhem in the post-Iraq and Afghanistan era. Correlation is not causation, etc.

None of that denies that push factors play a role. If you look at the Libyan and Syrian arrivals into the EU in the last two years, it's fairly obvious that they will. But attempts to make the case that "it's just about push factors" on the back of this tendentious "analysis", are not credible. You don't need a chi-square to see that Government policy in Australia plays a role in the number of boat arrivals.

And it "probably" did nothing, too. And that's all he and I and anyone who said the NLP claims were BS need.

Yes, we could just sink and kill everyone and government policy would be 100% effective at "stopping the boats" Laughing And we can drag them back to wherever and make it a matter of national security to not provide anyone with information on what's happening. That would surely work, too!

And I'm glad you noticed it's not an academic publication! Well, bravo for you for being able to detect English genres! Yes, it's plainly a quick exercise to demonstrate the basic falsity of Howard and Abbott's claims that they know their policy stopped the boats. It's a laughable nonsense exercise when you look at world movements to begin with, while anyone who understands what statistical research looks like wouldn't bother taking it up beyond drawing the same broad conclusions of the UNHCR: Movements roughly reflect major refugee events.

And that's all anyone needs to show the Glib claims were BS, and the Glib graph splashed around way back then was yet more deception aimed at tricking people.

Yes, yes; towing boats away; shooting people; letting them drown; paying people smugglers to take them elsewhere: These are all presumably 100% effective policies Rolling Eyes

As ever, coming in blind, taking a position and defending it with grim life by hunting around looking for ways of defending it is a waste of everyone's bloody time. How about your research first, then take a position so you don't feel cornered into defending yourself regardless of the validity of your claim?

That's how smart people like you are supposed to operate. Not to mention on this discussion, you're only five years late Rolling Eyes

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:23 am

Some of them could be though.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:28 am

^ Ah, the old PTID playbook - when countered with facts, play the man - shootings, drownings, yes, anyone who takes a different view on your data is clearly in favour of those. Sigh.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:47 am

^I've probably written 5000+ words on topic alone on Nick's and said as much in my first response to you. It's a very ooooooold topic.

And there are no mysterious "facts" that only Gabriel in his wisdom chose reveal to you and no one else five years after the event. As explained, the only extremely rough correlation you might conjure up is one between overall people movements and arrivals.

You don't have anything else to add to that. Simply, neither you nor anyone knows if any policy within any serious ethical bounds would make a bleeding difference.

And, if you go back and read the lengthy debates on Nick's on the matter, you will work out even then it's irrelevant because it's a global issue requiring global solutions, not something to disgracefully seek to dump on impoverished neighbours. Hence my comments yesterday on what Shorten needs to do to deal with things both respectably and effectively: Put forward global solutions along with the EU and many others which themselves face the very same problem.

Even worse, both Howard and Abbott, with cowardly ALP governments behind them, helped create swathes of those very refugees with their dumb, interfering, blundering wars.

As if dumping the problem on impoverished developing neighbours and defying global treaties is a decent solution; they've had well over a decade now to pull something global together, but instead the selfish bastards have used the issue as a political football, inciting the regressive forces of fear and racism in the process.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:03 am

^ ok, I can respond to that. The transmission mechanism between the supply of asylum places via Aust govt policy and the demand for voyages seems to me hypothetically probable, and blindingly obvious in the data. But as we both know, the meaning of a pattern in data depends on what one might wish to believe.

As to the need for global solutions, I can well agree with that. But if anyone can really make inroaids into those, we cannot as Australia. So, given that these problems exist, there are limits on how many asylum seekers we should take if we want to preserve our society's cohesion and stability. That's a choice, of course, that I prioritise as a Conservative more highly than some of the more idealistic Left might. Regadless, assuming one accepts a limit, the question them becomes why one would prefer boat arrivals to the many other deserving cases, buttressing the business model of the people smugglers by doing so.

Anyway, as you said, it's an old topic, and there are better things to do on a Saturday night than rehash old topics. A pint of ESB and dinner awaits me, and i hope one does you as well.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:25 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ ok, I can respond to that. The transmission mechanism between the supply of asylum places via Aust govt policy and the demand for voyages seems to me hypothetically probable, and blindingly obvious in the data.

Well, "hypothetically probably" really means "intuitive", doesn't it? That's a point with which I can understand, but we're already primed to doubt our intuitions when it comes to large numbers, large periods of time, and large geographies, over which all sorts of non-intuitive vectors come into play. Of course, I can see why people were deceived by the NLP bar chart.

I guess my frustration is that after a decade, we ought to be focusing on putting that global solution together. As I say, you'd reckon the EU would want to get behind it, among others.

Anyhow, sorry for over-protesting on that.

Yes, beer time!

As a cheapy, have you ever tried Sainsbury's home label "Traditional Kentish Ale"? On sale for GBP1.25/500ml this week (half price, I think). One of the best value money savers around, I reckon! Smile

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:50 am

^ No, Haven't tried the Sainsury's Kentish - £1.25 for half a litre is good value. Some of the Kentish ales (eg Spitfire) are a bit hoppy for my taste, but many are excellent. I'll give it a go if I can find it at my local Sainsbury's, and report back. Meanwhile, you shoudl try to locate some Samuel Smith's Yorkshire stout. It's mind-bendingly vegemitingly cheek-sucking gorgeous. Go Pies for tomorrow !
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:50 am

David wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Wow! Have you gone completely insane? Did you read what you wrote? You just argued for NO LIMIT AT ALL!!!!!!!! I'm in shock! Even by your extraordinary standards this is loopiness above and beyond the call of sanity or duty. Do you even know how many refugees there are in the world? Are you seriously asking that we set no limit? FMD, that's 20 million extra people this year alone.

Let's try to imagine how such an outrageous hypothetical would work.

Oh wait, we don't have to, because this is exactly how things were until about two years ago*. For decades. Why weren't we swamped by millions of people a year?.

Garbage, David. Your insane "no quota" policy is nothing remotely like the policies we have had in the past. In the past - under Rudd Mark I, Gillard or Howard - we rejected all arrivals by air (unless your air arrival was disguised as something like tourism) and took whoever arrived by boat, then locked them up for anything up to years before they were allowed to stay, and not everyone was - some were sent home. Under Howard, the stay they were granted was often short-term.

HAL 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:53 am

No I didn't read what you wrote yet. Tell me about what you wrote
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:51 am

^ Yes, I'm aware of TPVs. But the fact remains that, however cruel Howard and Rudd's detention policies were, there was still a basic guiding principle that genuine refugees would be accepted, if only temporarily.

While I hate these offshore concentration camps and would prefer efficient community processing, at least then there was still a fundamental distinction being made between refugees and what you describe as 'economic migrants'.

That's a distinction I accept. I'm not such a starry-eyed refugee advocate that I think everyone should just be let in. But what happened to it? When did genuine refugees become criminals, only fit to be kept behind barbed wire?

As PTID points out, we could have saved so much time, money and human suffering by devoting our energy to a regional solution (and no, I'm not talking about the Malaysian proposal). As it stands, we've trampled all over our relationship with Indonesia - and with it, any chance for positive collaboration in the short-term.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:47 am

David wrote:
But the fact remains that, however cruel Howard and Rudd's detention policies were, there was still a basic guiding principle that genuine refugees would be accepted, if only temporarily.

No there wasn't. There was lip service to the notion that genuine refugees would be accepted, accompanied by huge efforts to deny in fact the entry which was accepted only in principle.

This is why the various governments spent billions building and maintaining barbed wire prisons (sorry "processing centres") for asylum seekers, and vast amounts more on patrols and policing and courts and all the rest of it. As an asylum seeker, you were perfectly free to come here and seek admittance without punishment or penalty just so long as you didn't actually come here and seek admittance. If you did that you'd be locked up. But so long as you didn't come here, you were perfectly free to come here.

Refugee policy under Howard and all who have come after amounted to mouthing public platitudes about "humanity" and "compassion" and "international obligations" while in practice making it perfectly clear to all who wished to come here that they might get in, eventually and under sufferance, but only after being maltreated as badly as possible for as long as possible short only of making our international claims to be abiding by our treaty obligations even less plausible than Japan's claims that its whale slaughter program was "scientific".

If we accept the UNHCR's figures, there are just on 20 million genuine refugees in the world today. Every one of these people, according to the UNHCR, has genuine grounds to fear death or persecution if they return and, if we take that UNHCR claim at face value (which I think we can), almost every single one of them would jump at the chance to live in Australia. (Unless you believe, for some reason, that any significant number of them would rather be living on the edge of starvation in a border camp.)

So, according to your suicidal policy, we take those 20 million, and next year we take the new ones from whatever new war or disaster comes along - let's say five million, at a rough but conservative guess. And the year after, the same.

Within the decade, your policy would have completely solved the refugee arrival problem in Australia. Of course, New Zealand and Indonesia and PNG would have huge problems dealing with the outflux of Australian refugees fleeing from the poverty, chaos, and no doubt civil war going on in this country by that time, but that's their problem. Nothing to do with us.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:32 pm

Tannin wrote:
If we accept the UNHCR's figures, there are just on 20 million genuine refugees in the world today. Every one of these people, according to the UNHCR, has genuine grounds to fear death or persecution if they return and, if we take that UNHCR claim at face value (which I think we can), almost every single one of them would jump at the chance to live in Australia. (Unless you believe, for some reason, that any significant number of them would rather be living on the edge of starvation in a border camp.) 

So, according to your suicidal policy, we take those 20 million, and next year we take the new ones from whatever new war or disaster comes along - let's say five million, at a rough but conservative guess. And the year after, the same.

Yes, because Australia is the only developed country in the world. Laughing

If you're going to provide doomsday scenarios, can you at least try to make them vaguely plausible?

There are 34 countries in the OECD. All of these are countries with high standards of living, mostly strong welfare systems, good education and decent healthcare. If these countries got together and decided they were going to clear the world's refugee camps in one go, each taking on the same number of people, our intake would be 588,000. A big number, sure, but hardly 20 million!

But wait: would Luxembourg really agree to taking the same number of refugees as the United States? No, these numbers would likely have to be adjusted according to factors like capacity and resources. I don't have the time or data to weigh all that up, but let's just say that the numbers were simply adjusted according to current population size.

The 2014 population of the 34 OECD member states was 1.27 billion. Australia's population is 23 million. Therefore, if the world's refugee population were distributed equally between these countries, our intake would be just 360,000.

This, remember, is your doomsday scenario.

But wait: Australia and its fellow rich countries in Western Europe, Scandinavia and North America may seem like pretty great places, but does everyone really want to live here? Mightn't shared language, shared culture, even extended family links be pull factors?

Take Syria as an example: many of the refugees there would love to be in a country like Australia. But many would just like to be in a place with running water and food and not so much likelihood of being blown up, and if that means being resettled in Iran, or Jordan, or the safer parts of Lebanon, many might well jump at the chance.

So, the fact is, if the world's richest countries got together and decided to empty the world's refugee camps, signing deals with poorer neighbouring countries to take on people willing to go there (note: they already get huge numbers of refugees anyway whether they like it or not), Australia's share in this international solution might be 100,000, maybe 200,000 at most. Less than 1% of the current population.

That's one way to put a stop to the boat trade. Unfortunately, it'll never happen because people are generally selfish and would rather vote for a party that would let them keep their second car and holiday home. So, there will always be displaced people living in abject poverty, and a minority with the resources and ability will try to take matters into their own hands. It's our call whether we want to lock them out and hang a "f#$@ off, we're full" sign on the door. Perhaps we can even pretend that we're saving lives in the process. Whatever helps us sleep at night.

Last edited by David on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12   

Jump to: