Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New sub-editors required?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:08 pm
Post subject: New sub-editors required?Reply with quote

From http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/city-protest-to-disrupt-friday-afternoon-traffic-20150430-1mx97o.html

"More than 11,000 people are expected at the protest against the forced closure of remote Aboriginal communities, which will start at the Melbourne Town Hall at 4pm."

I also did a slight double-take on the ABC's site, where it appeared - at first glance - that Papua New Guinea had been struck off by an earthquake. That certainly made me read the whole story. It appears, in fact, that an earthquake had merely struck and that its epicentre was off PNG: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-30/earthquake-strikes-off-papua-new-guinea/6435896
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

the english language. so easy to misread and misinterpret.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:23 pm

I'd like to think that's a job I could do, but I sadly doubt that there is a job to be filled any more.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:42 am

Hehe my first thought was "shit will they be gone by the time I leave for the footy?"

The protesters I mean, not the aboriginals, they can stay in the town hall.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:38 am

I have booked a carpark in Flinders Lane, this looks like it will be hard to get to, can anyone advise on the best way to approach this? I was planning on driving along Flinders St coming off the West Gate Freeway and arriving at the carpark at around 5pm.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:09 am

Aim to get to the carpark by 3pm

Seriously.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:15 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
Aim to get to the carpark by 3pm

Seriously.

Have to be after 4pm, sad part is I don't know Melbourne that well and if I get detoured away I might get lost and not make it back!

I think that I might be in a spot of bother!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:17 pm

The Age today is reporting on attempts to re-sign "Resounding defender/wingman Adam Oxley". Confused

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-closing-in-on-new-contracts-with-tom-langdon-and-jackson-ramsay-20150503-1myv0w.html
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:53 pm

never did i think the day would come when i would see the word 'slut' in a "news headline" ...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:03 pm

John Wren wrote:
never did i think the day would come when i would see the word 'slut' in a "news headline" ...

I'm so over that shit! Why can't people just be nice to each other, respect each other's boundaries, and live and let live. Had a big Facebook fight over the second yesterday, really, why can't people just mind their own business, they ain't hurting anyone?

As for the first, don't teach your daughters to be careful, teach your sons to respect women, and keep their $£$%^%%$ hands off.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:17 pm

think positive wrote:
John Wren wrote:

I'm so over that shit! Why can't people just be nice to each other, respect each other's boundaries, and live and let live. Had a big Facebook fight over the second yesterday, really, why can't people just mind their own business, they ain't hurting anyone?

As for the first, don't teach your daughters to be careful, teach your sons to respect women, and keep their $£$%^%%$ hands off.

You do both. I did. My daughter is prepared to deal with those males who weren't taught to respect women because adopting an idealistic position just puts her in danger. She's had more than enough real world exposure that she knows how to play safe and look after herself.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:

You do both. I did. My daughter is prepared to deal with those males who weren't taught to respect women because adopting an idealistic position just puts her in danger. She's had more than enough real world exposure that she knows how to play safe and look after herself.

1000x this.

I don't understand the notion that teaching someone to be careful and how to be careful in a world full of opportunistic arseholes is somehow a bad thing. Sure in an ideal world everyone can walk around alone at night, free from danger and without a care in the world, but this isn't an ideal world and telling naive kids exactly that is somehow a bad thing?

There is nothing a rapist, mugger, thug, kidnapper or murderer would like more than an easy target walking around alone because they "should learn not to be a criminal".
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:32 pm

I had a really interesting argument with Lola about this. Essentially, she took TP's view and I took Stui's and Wokko's. Where we found common ground was by steering away from the emotive topic of rape and discussing crime generically. What we agreed upon was that criminals (and potential criminals) are too often considered an "other" who can't be spoken to like regular people and have no capacity to think rationally.

The answer isn't some glib conclusion like "tell rapists not to rape", it's a deeper engagement with all people by providing constructive, confidential, non-judgemental avenues for getting help.

Otherwise, so long as crime exists, it's essential that people are still offered basic, measured, fact-based victimisation prevention strategies (which may possibly not include telling women never to go to parks). I don't really see any good reason for authority figures to stop doing that.

Last edited by David on Wed May 06, 2015 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:42 pm

^

Bingo.

In it's most basic construct it's called risk management. People practice it every day unconsciously but most struggle when asked to do it consciously.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:51 pm

Oh don't worry, I tell my girls to practice risk management to the nth degree, I just wish it didn't have to be that way.

I was sitting in my car while my horse ate his dinner one night after work, and I was dozing. I woke up to see him reaching for the door handle, with his zip down. I hit the lock button, started the car and drove off. Then I got mad, slammed it in reverse and back into him. Then I took off. Came back with a friend to let my horse out, never saw him again, and there was no report of a dead guy! I trust nobody!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: