Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MP Don Randall dies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:17 pm
Post subject: MP Don Randall diesReply with quote

<Split from 'Never seen a government lose its base so fast' thread>

Abbott government MP Don Randall found dead

July 21, 2015 - 7:10PM

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbott-government-mp-don-randall-found-dead-20150721-gihgds.html#ixzz3gWFxBoDu

Sorry to interrupt the argy bargy of Reclaim the Whatever, Bronwyn, etc. I'm not sure that this should even be in this thread. But consider this. An MP has passed away. Like Philip Walsh, let us pause to remember him for a bit, reflect on the enormous striving for public office, and the energy it takes, and then move on.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one who was caught claiming thousands of dollars in "expenses" from the taxpayer to fly him from WA to Queensland to inspect his own investment property. Sad for his family, no loss to the nation.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/don-randall-dodges-questions-over-expense-claims-for-trip-to-cairns-20131016-2vlx1.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Pretty harsh, Tannin. A tragedy for anyone to die this young. RIP.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Did I cry when Chopper Reid died? Nope. I'll save my sympathy for the deserving. (Most people are deserving.) None for snouts-in-trough types. Sorry.

(In some cases, there seems to be enough good to balance out at least part of the bad. This is why I refrained from posting in the Joan Kirner thread: I didn't have anything nice to say about her but I wasn't going to say as much in her in-memoriam thread. But there seems to be no good reason to mourn the passing of this character. Sympathy for his family is as far as it is reasonable to go.)

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:12 am

I nearly choked on my toast this morning. One MP said he was a "Straight Shooter". As previously noted, if his name was Slipper he would have been hauled before the courts.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:49 am

When the premiers were giving interviews outside prior to the day's meeting this morning Colin Barnet stepped up to the mic and said he wanted to say a few words about Don Randall. While he was singing Randall's praises I noticed that Daniel Andrews, who was standing right behind him, was completely nonresponsive. Mustn't have been a fan. Confused
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:55 am

Look, having done a bit of research, he doesn't exactly seem to have been the nicest of characters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Randall#Controversy

Quote:
Controversy

On 13 February 2008, Randall was one of five Liberal MPs not present when a motion was passed unanimously apologising to the stolen generations of indigenous children between federation and the 1970s.

On 21 October 2010, Randall referred to Australia's public national broadcaster, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), the "Gay-BC", in response to a journalist.

On 15 June 2011 at a Friends of Mining lunch, Randall used the phrase 'pussy-whipped' to describe the mining industry's relationship with then-Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

On September 15, 2012, Randall travelled to Melbourne, on a trip explained as being for 'sittings of Parliament' and which cost taxpayers $5300; the Australian Parliament, however, has not sat in Melbourne since 1927.

In November 2012 Randall travelled to Cairns with his wife, for which he claimed more than $10,000 in travel expenses for 'electorate business'. The week after his return he took possession of an investment property in Cairns.

The West Australian state Liberal MP Rob Johnson called on Prime Minister Tony Abbott to 'dump' Randall over the trip. Prime Minister Abbott defended Mr Randall's travel claims, saying that Mr Randall was conducting 'very important discussions' with the then Chief Opposition Whip Warren Entsch. However when quizzed by The Australian Financial Review, Mr Entsch refused to divulge the content of those discussions and admitted he did not know if they constituted "electorate business" as Mr Randall had claimed.

Andrews was perhaps adhering to the wise old proverb of "if you don't have anything nice to say..."

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:40 am

Doesn't take long when a figure of the right passes away for the vitriol to start flowing. I don't know who this guy is, but how about letting things slide for a couple of days after he dies.

Matthew 7:1-3 Judge not, that ye be judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

I love the gravitas of the KJV of the Bible. If god turns out against all evidence to be real and doesn't speak in early 17th century English, then I'm just not interested.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:43 am

It could be true I suppose.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:59 am

Vitriol? None whatever here. Clearly you have no clue what the word means.

No vitriol, just a resigned contempt for yet another pollie with his snout in the trough. Yes, most of the most corrupt ones are on the right, but corruption isn't a party political thing as such, you can find examples on the left as well.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:02 am

The arithmetic mean is the sum of the numbers in a set divided by the size of that set. Is it that obvious?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:12 am

The word means sulfuric acid, but is used as a description of hatred and contempt. I don't see anything but that in this thread. Unlike say Maggy Thatcher where I could happily mount a defence, I have no idea who this guy is or what he's achieved in public life, but if I can resist when say, Joan Kirner passed away then I'm sure the same can be done for an obscure WA polly.

Maybe it's just my own old morality of not speaking ill of the dead but it just doesn't sit right with me to be bagging someone so soon after they die.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:28 am

You can see my initial reaction above, but when I come to think of it, "too soon" seems a bit of an artificial construct.

Of course, if a family friend who was a complete bastard dies, a reasonable response would be to hold fire for a while out of respect for his or her loved ones. But when it comes to discussing a public figure on an internet forum, do the same rules really need to apply? When we say nice things like 'condolences to the family', are we doing anything other than trying to make ourselves look good?

Perhaps death is just a good time to look back at a public figure's legacy and discuss it freely without pretending that we've been invited to the wake. But also to not forget that they were a complex human being too - not just a cartoon construct of the public role they performed - and that the same fate awaits all of us.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Wokko wrote:
The word means sulfuric acid, but is used as a description of hatred and contempt. I don't see anything but that in this thread. Unlike say Maggy Thatcher where I could happily mount a defence, I have no idea who this guy is or what he's achieved in public life, but if I can resist when say, Joan Kirner passed away then I'm sure the same can be done for an obscure WA polly.

Maybe it's just my own old morality of not speaking ill of the dead but it just doesn't sit right with me to be bagging someone so soon after they die.

Wrong. Vitriol = hatred. There is no hatred in this thread, only resigned contempt for yet another corrupt politician. Vitriol <> mere contempt for a freeloader.

Like you, I said nothing in the Kirner thread because I had nothing good to say and although she was a disaster for this state she was honest(ish) and presumably meant well. That's a very different circumstance to this one: Randall was certainly not "obscure", he was well-known to anyone who follows politics even vaguely, and the thing he was well-known for was one of the most spectacularly crude and obvious expenses rorts we have seen in this country. If he ever achieved anything of value during his political career, no-one seems to have noticed yet, but you couldn't miss his investment property rort with your eyes shut.

No vitriol, no hate, he was just another Liberal Party snout-in-trough type. Plenty more where that came from.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Oxford English Dictionary.

Quote:
Definition of vitriol in English:
noun

[MASS NOUN]
1Bitter criticism or malice:
her mother’s sudden gush of fury and vitriol

2 archaic or literary Sulphuric acid:
it was as if his words were spraying vitriol on her face

Mirriam Webster Dictionary

Quote:
Full Definition of VITRIOL

a : a sulfate of any of various metals (as copper, iron, or zinc); especially : a glassy hydrate of such a sulfate
b : oil of vitriol
: something felt to resemble vitriol especially in caustic quality; especially : virulence of feeling or of speech
— vit·ri·ol·ic \ˌvi-trē-ˈä-lik\ adjective

Free Dictionary

Quote:
vit·ri·ol (vĭt′rē-ōl′, -əl)
n.
a. See sulfuric acid.
b. Any of various sulfates of metals, such as ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, or copper sulfate.
2. Bitterly abusive feeling or expression.
tr.v. vit·ri·oled, vit·ri·ol·ing, vit·ri·ols or vit·ri·olled or vit·ri·ol·ling
To expose or subject to vitriol.

It would appear that the use of the word in language stems from the caustic nature of the acid, such that Vitriol is used to describe a caustic way of speaking.

I'll give this one to Wokka on points.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: