Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Kennedy connundrum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
Post subject: The Kennedy connundrumReply with quote

I, like many of my fellow Nicksters, have been frustrated at the limited opportunities for proper game time given to Ben Kennedy. Clearly he is rated as a good player by bucks, since he regularly gets picked to wear the green vest. But why doesn't he get selected to play full games? Last year there was a question over his fitness, but this season he has blitzed it in the VFL, running flat out for 4 quarters. I think what's keeping him from more game time is that we already have a full quota of dwarfs, with Bilbo Blair, Adams and Elliott. Until the 3 dwarf policy is overturned I find it difficult to see Kennedy properly breaking into our side. If he can't break into the side by the end of this season I suspect he may seek a trade elsewhere where he would be a starting 18 player at many clubs.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:09 pm
Post subject: Re: The Kennedy connundrumReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I, like many of my fellow Nicksters, have been frustrated at the limited opportunities for proper game time given to Ben Kennedy. Clearly he is rated as a good player by bucks, since he regularly gets picked to wear the green vest. But why doesn't he get selected to play full games? Last year there was a question over his fitness, but this season he has blitzed it in the VFL, running flat out for 4 quarters. I think what's keeping him from more game time is that we already have a full quota of dwarfs, with Bilbo Blair, Adams and Elliott. Until the 3 dwarf policy is overturned I find it difficult to see Kennedy properly breaking into our side. If he can't break into the side by the end of this season I suspect he may seek a trade elsewhere where he would be a starting 18 player at many clubs.

Am I seriously going to have to repeat myself for the umpteenth time re: BK? At last year's members' meeting, Buckley said that BK is not fit enough to run out a full game of senior AFL football. He had surgeries on both legs, which held back his fitness progression, and he is slowly being nursed back into the senior squad (he was also injured earlier this year as I saw him walk around the Windy Hill ground). They CLEARLY rate him, you only had to be present that night. BK would clearly know where he stands with the staff. Patience, people...

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought Kennedy is well over those injury concerns now and with another preseason under his belt his fitness should be well improved.

He was treated poorly last season being made sub week after week and may as well just been given a full VFL game.

Being made sub last week, for the second week running ahead of a player omitted from the team was poor player development for mine.

Funny how he wasn't given the opportunity to shine in a week Blair was sidelined.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:44 pm

I blame Didak.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Think he should have got 4 quarters last week vs the Seed!
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:16 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Being made sub last week, for the second week running ahead of a player omitted from the team was poor player development for mine.

Funny how he wasn't given the opportunity to shine in a week Blair was sidelined.

Agreed - the last thing we need at the end of 2015 is a couple of homesick S.A. kids, who feel they would play more AFL games elsewhere in 2016.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Yeah and I've never seen a more sullen, despondent face whilst singing the club song after a win! "depression city"!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:22 pm

piedys wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Agreed - the last thing we need at the end of 2015 is a couple of homesick S.A. kids, who feel they would play more AFL games elsewhere in 2016.

Nah - he's gonna be the first player to reach 750 games - the theory is that he won't get as worn out as the other guys and he'll never get an impact injury.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Nah - he's gonna be the first player to reach 750 games - the theory is that he won't get as worn out as the other guys and he'll never get an impact injury.

Ah, but he only would have played about 800 quarters in those 750 games.
Hmmm... the longevity theory eh? Cool

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:55 pm

And just exactly who in the midfield group deserves to be dropped to make way for BK to get a full game? Pendles? Sidey? Adams? Crisp? Swanny?

I know he can also play forward but Blair is in career best form so you'll need to take to him with a crowbar to get him out. That leaves either Elliott, Fasolo, or Broomheads spot. Which of those guys misses out?

Not going to get any easier either with Greenwood due back in a few weeks.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:59 pm
Post subject: Re: The Kennedy connundrumReply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
Patience, people...

Agree! Please can we be patient with this team and player group? Maybe at least until they change the rules to allow 28 players per team.... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Lazza on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:59 pm

Pendlebury's a bit slow.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:32 pm

jackcass wrote:
And just exactly who in the midfield group deserves to be dropped to make way for BK to get a full game? Pendles? Sidey? Adams? Crisp? Swanny? That leaves either Elliott, Fasolo, or Broomheads spot. Which of those guys misses out?

Blair.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:11 pm

If you think BKs opportunities are limited now, just add another draft and trading period before 2016 and I'm not convinced he will get any opportunities next year. I M O, other young players will be lining up to pass him by during the next pre season. I'm not a hater, I just think we have players coming through with more tools.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:40 pm

jackcass wrote:
And just exactly who in the midfield group deserves to be dropped to make way for BK to get a full game? Pendles? Sidey? Adams? Crisp? Swanny?

I know he can also play forward but Blair is in career best form so you'll need to take to him with a crowbar to get him out. That leaves either Elliott, Fasolo, or Broomheads spot. Which of those guys misses out?

Not going to get any easier either with Greenwood due back in a few weeks.

Seedsman this week.

Seedsman was dropped and then replaced Grundy so don't tell me it was a like for like selection decision. Laughing

I'd(Buckley) bring in Blair for de Goey/Seedsman, give who whoever is left of those two the green vest and give Kennedy a full opportunity albeit against a better side than GWS.

Doubt we'll see more than the one change unless they decide Reid is ready or Grundy makes a miraculous recovery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: