Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Prison welfare advocate "get over it"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc63 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
Sanity prevails? Lol, fat chance. Manufactured outrage and populist politics won this time around.

Mugwump wrote:
regan is true fullback wrote:
Quote:
I just want to ensure it is not publicly funded

interesting how the other peoples money brigade never mention their (and David Flint's) 86 billion dollar hobby.

No idea what this "hobby" is - can you elaborate ? If it is some kind of tax minimisaton, then I think it gets a fair work over here.

Here's a hint: Wink

https://youtu.be/yqrAPOZxgzU

Who gives a shit what did it, it's a win.

Not sure why you think it's manufactured though, the mother put her story out there, once people heard they got pissed off enough to sign a petition, what's manufactured about that? Doesn't suit your agenda?

You know your flogging a dead horse here, don't you?

Personally, I'm very disappointed with the standard of criminals we have in our prisons these days. Was a time when an oxygen thief like this would have been topped by now. Not these days, unfortunately.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 pm

think positive wrote:

Not sure why you think it's manufactured though, the mother put her story out there, once people heard they got pissed off enough to sign a petition, what's manufactured about that? Doesn't suit your agenda?

I don't see why it's a win. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care whether or not this guy gets toast for breakfast, but I can guarantee you 100% that the original decision to alter his prison conditions was born out of a far more considered and rational process than the political decision to block it. When it comes to prisoner welfare, I think we could do with a great deal more common sense and a great deal less hysteria and knee-jerk populism.

I'm not at all questioning the motivations of the mother, either. But the majority of people who signed that petition followed the pied piper (ACA and its tabloid fellow travellers) all the way.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:27 am

The only win is when he is no longer breathing.Or at least have 2 and half minutes wondering whether he will breathe again.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:33 am

David wrote:

Ah ! 86 billion is likely to be a little, er, overstated ...? I'm In favour of retaining the rather quaint, antiquated system that makes no sense but has served us well for hundreds of years, but at 86 billion I might think again. If it is 86 million, then that too is rather steep, but President Rupert Murdoch II and President consort Wendy might cost more and be worse, you never know.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:35 am

I'm not sure I understand the implication of that.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:06 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

I don't see why it's a win. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care whether or not this guy gets toast for breakfast, but I can guarantee you 100% that the original decision to alter his prison conditions was born out of a far more considered and rational process than the political decision to block it. When it comes to prisoner welfare, I think we could do with a great deal more common sense and a great deal less hysteria and knee-jerk populism.

I'm not at all questioning the motivations of the mother, either. But the majority of people who signed that petition followed the pied piper (ACA and its tabloid fellow travellers) all the way.

You give far to much credit to the judicial system, if they were that thoughtful we wouldn't have so many crims getting out and repeating their crimes.

As for the sheep, what a load of crap. Maybe they saw the story, and felt her pain, and agreed with her? Isn't that what journalism is for? Just because you don't agree with a story, doesn't mean it's a bad one. For someone who supposedly sits back and looks with out judging, you sure are harsh on people who disagree with your non judgemental view. I'm not a sheep, I've never just done something because everyone else did. By the way, since you hate such trivial sensational cringeworthy current affairs programs, have you even seen the story your pigeon holing the voters for?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:24 am

What journalism is for, in theory, is to inform the public and enable them to understand complex events and issues by presenting them in a balanced manner. What commercial current affairs "journalism" is for is to confirm viewers' prejudices (welfare cheats, wicked foreigners and, this week, our lenient justice system) and provoke an emotional, sub-rational response.

We've all seen Frontline, right? Surely this is not a contentious point.

You and some others who signed the petition may have already had considered, well-informed views on justice and the psychological/rehabilitative effect of prison conditions on inmates, but you wouldn't have gotten that from A Current Affair. Their world is one of cartoon villains, manipulative music and big "boo now"/"cheer now" signs. It's not in any way a platform for the kind of nuanced, fact-based discussion that is so important when it comes to the topic of criminal justice.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:14 am

sometimes even cartoons are spot on in their message
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:14 am

Doc63 wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
Sanity prevails? Lol, fat chance. Manufactured outrage and populist politics won this time around.

Mugwump wrote:
regan is true fullback wrote:
Quote:
I just want to ensure it is not publicly funded

interesting how the other peoples money brigade never mention their (and David Flint's) 86 billion dollar hobby.

No idea what this "hobby" is - can you elaborate ? If it is some kind of tax minimisaton, then I think it gets a fair work over here.

You know your flogging a dead horse here, don't you?

Personally, I'm very disappointed with the standard of criminals we have in our prisons these days. Was a time when an oxygen thief like this would have been topped by now. Not these days, unfortunately.

shoulda listen to the doc!

(15 or 5 should do it!)

http://www.neekly.com/15-most-brutal-torture-techniques-ever/15/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:44 am

Sounds like you and Garforth have some common interests.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:10 am

David wrote:
Sounds like you and Garforth have some common interests.

thanks for comparing me to a child molesting, torturing, sadistic, unapologetic, killer. nice Rolling Eyes

feel free to have the last word

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:41 am

No worries:

Anyone who could enjoy even contemplating doing something like that (the torture methods in your link) to another human being has a sick mind.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:19 pm

One thing I am curious about, TP, is what this "agenda" of David's is all about. I think I've heard you refer to David's "agenda" several times now.

What is this mysterious "agenda", TP? Perhaps I'm naive and have missed the giveaway signals of an "agenda", but please enlighten us as to what you're referring to.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:40 pm

EDIT: Stay out of it before the Buddha puts me back in that mountain for another 1000 years...... Mad
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:07 pm

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: