Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tax and wealth redistribution

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I think they had wealth redistribution then too. Shocked
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:11 am

^ Tannin, there's a slew of stuff in your post, some very sensible, some less so, in my view.

I agree with you completely on "Overseas tax haves, family trusts, transfer pricing scams". All of these avoid the intent of tax legislation. They should be rounded up and penalised, and/or the law changed to block them. A well-drafted "General anti avoidance rule" would be a good idea. I've long felt that corporate taxes should be charged on total earnings reported to the global stock exchanges, proportioned according to the % of revenue arising in Australia.

Tax breaks, however, are not "wealthy cnuts failing to pay the tax they are supposed to"... because there is no "supposed to" other than expressed through legislation. Things like Super, Gearing, etc are all using the tax regime to promote some policy objective (or buy some votes). Do I agree with them ? No, mostly not - especially not with negative gearing, whcih has no defensible policy objective and is an absolute disgrace. But the "wealthy cnut" is no more "supposed to" pay 47% than 48% or 40%. It's just a political choice, including the tax breaks.

CGT is a different issue. Capital taxes are not like labour taxes, because capital is far more mobile than labour, so you have to keep the CGT rates competitive if you are to avoid chasing away investment. The Uk learned this in the 1960s and 1970s and it decimated its industries with 90% CGT rates. It's one reason among a several why shipbuilding went to Korea rather than Scotland. 22.5% feels roughly right, with a higher rate on residential property.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:27 am

While it's probably a mistake to see company tax rates as a purely moral issue, I do have a problem with the mentality of "you have to keep the rates down or they'll run away". That's the pure neo-liberal, "market is god" approach. I think there are alternatives.

As a side note, it seems like we're happy to mock a traitor like Gerard Depardieu for slinking off to Putin's dystopia with his Ferraris and gold-plated statues, so why should we grovel before the (let's face it, often outrageous) tax rate demands of multinationals?

The trouble is, there will always be another country willing to offer bargain rates, and by not taking a tougher stand ourselves, we help perpetuate that system. At some point, a citizenry has to demand that companies pay their fair share, and accept the consequences.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:09 am

David wrote:

The trouble is, there will always be another country willing to offer bargain rates, and by not taking a tougher stand ourselves, we help perpetuate that system. At some point, a citizenry has to demand that companies pay their fair share, and accept the consequences.

All fine, David, but what is "fair" in this (or any) context ? Is a "fair" policy that makes Australia poorer over time really "fairer" for poor Australians than one which has a rate lower than you would prefer, but maximises revenue for welfare?

Policy is best framed against the world as it is, not as we would wish it to be, and it is a competitive world out there. I don't think we can lead the world to higher Capital Gains tax rates, though we can increase or reduce capital investment in Australia through them. That seems like common sense to me, not a "market is God" dogma.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:18 am

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

All fine, David, but what is "fair" in this (or any) context ? Is a "fair" policy that makes Australia poorer over time really "fairer" for poor Australians than one which has a rate lower than you would prefer, but maximises revenue for welfare?

Policy is best framed against the world as it is, not as we would wish it to be, and it is a competitive world out there. I don't think we can lead the world to higher Capital Gains tax rates, though we can increase or reduce capital investment in Australia through them. That seems like common sense to me, not a "market is God" dogma.

Except, David, much of the time there is no basis at all whatsoever for the claims being made that, say, a better-educated workforce will make us poorer. Or, focusing narrowly on natural resources will provide higher-quality jobs. Or, rich people will flee for Tanzania if we increase their tax rates. Or, immigrants cost more than they contribute. Or, the NBN is too costly and I have a rational CBA to prove it. Or, more freeways will make us better off than more public transport. Or, privatised natural monopolies are more effective and efficient than government-run natural monopolies. Or, government waste is greater than the waste of comparablly-sized organisations anywhere of any form. Or, alternative energy is a utopian dream that will never be able to supply our needs. And on and on the number of fraudulent claims go.

Most claims are pure witchcraft in defense of certain taxation, investment and religio-ideological positions.

Amazingly, David, the elite never do flee HQ countries. And, even if they threaten to, fine; let's replace the interfering bastards who keep claiming they will flee with more intelligent, harder working, less interfering and rent-extracting migrants. That would, according to any model of economics, be a national improvement, not a loss Laughing

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:46 am

Mugwamp, it is extraordinarily illogical to argue that evading tax by perfectly legal use of "overseas tax havens, family trusts, and transfer pricing scams" avoids the intent of tax legislation while at the same time claiming that evading tax by perfectly legal use of super lurks and CGT dodges and negative gearing does not.

Super lurks and GCT discounts and negative gearing were indeed all brought in ostensibly to "further some policy objective", but so were the arcane laws allowing equally rampant abuse of overseas tax havens, family trusts, and transfer pricing. In every case mentioned, we see the exact same process: the wealthy (and only the wealthy) are able to avoid their obligations and the rest of Australia has to make up the difference.

By the way, we already have quite strong general anti-avoidance provisions in Australian taxation law. The problem is that they are not enforced, largely because of three reasons: (a) the biggest tax avoiders always have more money to spend on lawyers than the ATO does; (b) the ATO has been horribly emasculated by ill-judged (Labor) and frankly insane (Liberal) budget cuts; and (c) - worst of all - the ATO has been invaded and captured by the tax-minimisation industry. Staff job-hop between the ATO and the big four accounting firms regularly and there is no longer any sense of mission within the organisation. It's all about making contacts and getting that career-boosting next appointment. You might as well fill all your police force vacancies with crims fresh out of Long Bay or Pentridge. Oh, and we should also mention the disgraceful laxity of governments as regards amendmeding tax law whenever a loophole is discovered. But with three well-paid full-time Canberra lobbyists for every single member of parliament, and practically every one of them pushing to delay or defeat needed reforms, and pushing even harder over the $3000 after-dinner wines to bring in yet further scams, it's pretty hopeless looking for much help there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm reluctant to run away on a sidetrack here, but I don't agree with your more detailed defence of CGT exemptions either. Capital is indeed more mobile than labour, but that is of no consequence to the economy insofar as the assets on which CGT is (or should be) payable are generally not mobile. Investment which seeks only to make a capital gain - land speculation is the outstanding example - does little or nothing to benefit the nation. If it wasn't there, no-one would miss it. Worthwhile investments result in productive activity and nearly always pay of by generating income. Investments which result in little or no income but a large capital gain are as a general rule either (a) mere speculation, or (b) the result of creative accounting designed to mask income as capital gain to evade tax. I'm sure that you could think of exceptions but they would be just that: exceptions.

Having said that, I do think we need to reconsider the way we treat capital gain. As a first approximation we could start by considering the way we treat capital expenditure: it is (quite rightly) amortised over a period of several years so that one large lump sum expense occurs, for accounting and tax purposes over something approximating to the lifespan of the investment. It seems to me that there is every reason to treat capital gain the same way.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:05 am

^And to add to that, the usual ideological voices posing as economists were dead wrong as always during the GFC.

They jumped up and down like rabid baboons, predicting massive inflation and the attack of the invisible bond vigilantes (a shout out to Krugman for that term) if countries didn't accept huge budget reductions to bring things back to their imaginary equilibrium.

But, instead, the commonsense risk in massive recession is obviously deflation, and so it proved to be in the after-the-event data and analysis.

Some countries are vulnerable for certain reasons (such as those trapped on the periphery of the Euro), but the generalisations again proved BS political opportunism to reduce pressure on the assets of the super wealthy.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:40 am

Tannin wrote:
Mugwamp, it is extraordinarily illogical to argue that evading tax by perfectly legal use of "overseas tax havens, family trusts, and transfer pricing scams" avoids the intent of tax legislation while at the same time claiming that evading tax by perfectly legal use of super lurks and CGT dodges and negative gearing does not.

Perhaps, but I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the government did not set up explicit legislation to expressly make these things possible, where I imagine that they did in the case of Super, CGT etc. I could be wrong, as I'm not an expert in tax law history, but if I'm correct, I think it's a logical distinction to make.

Regarding CGT, I agree that fixed assets creating capital gains are pretty immobile. It's the loss of capital for expansion that costs you.

I work for a global manufacturing and technology company. We grow by expanding plants or building new ones, and we have a choice about where we invest. As we do so, we consider a range of factors, but obviously the Internal rate of return is a major one. Tax (and the stability of tax policy) is a significant driver of that decision. Yes, we don't uproot plant and equipment because of tax, but it does cause early closures, and we don't put more in. That's the bit that's mobile, and it's the bit that matters enormously for the future of Australia. Singapore is a good example of how low CGT rates can foster growth and prosperity.

No argument that CGT today is a pretty blunt instrument. I think you are arguing for a lower rate for longer-term investments, and in principle I'd certainly agree with that.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:44 am

Good gossip: you are wrong as he or she'm not an expert of tax law history but if they did he or she think it's a logical distinction to make.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:19 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:
What's all this stuff about "my country" or "radical left-wing nuttery"? I was obviously being ironic. Tax is wealth redistribution. If you support even the most basic welfare system, then you support wealth redistribution.

I'm honestly flabbergasted that so many of you could be confused about this.

I worked hard for my money & so did my wife. I'm not here to fund you lazy good for nothing welfare bludgers. Only real people in need & the deserving poor need assistance, & I'll tell you who is deserving. It's only those who create wealth that deserve tax breaks. Only those without money talk about wealth redistribution. I mean look at Warren Buffett.
it?

I know your being sarcastic, but you've hit the nail on the head

Thought this was the movie thread actually, this is the twilight zone, I'm sure we've been here before!

(For those who don't remember the first instalment of the saga, don't mention your inheritance!)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:20 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Wasn't just him leaving, and the French got rid of the tax because so many high earners just up and left (taking their tax dollars with them.)

http://www.english.rfi.fr/general/20150103-dead-and-buried-france-quietly-scraps-controversial-wealth-tax

Pat Rafter avoided tax by using the Bahamas, Mick Jagger ditto. There are examples everywhere. That is all beside the point of the debate so to speak Wokko .

Having said that I remain curious as to why Rafter was never taken to task over this but sh*t happens. Aussie Aussie Aussie, avoid tax, avoid tax, avoid tax, oi, oi, oi.

They are still to busy hunting down Paul hogans before he carks it!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:54 pm

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:14 pm

David wrote:
I'm honestly flabbergasted that so many of you could be confused about this.

Hahahaa

I'm not.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:46 pm

pietillidie wrote:

Except, David, much of the time there is no basis at all whatsoever for the claims being made that, say, a better-educated workforce will make us poorer.

Can you provide the source for that claim ? Or, for that matter, where anyone has claimed that we should focus "narrowly" on natural resources?
Both seem extremely silly things to say, and I'd be interested to know who says so.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:57 pm

You know the answer, Mug.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14   

Jump to: