Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbott & NLP: x2 Lost Wars Already, #3 Renewable Energy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Treason ? Does he know what that really means in English ?

Treason: The betrayal of one's own country by waging war against it or by consciously or purposely acting to aid its enemies. It's an evil of the magnitude of slavery and child labour; indeed, in the Middle East its corrupt, centralising, anti-competitive economics still enables those.

Right now, by far our country's worst enemy is climate change. Everybody knows that. Everybody admits that. Even Abbott pretends to know it. Climate change is our enemy and Abbott is a traitor, not just to Australia but to the whole world. Treason is the correct term, there can be no other.

And you can add complete misanthropy to the treason, too.

As if the potential chaos and unfathomable externalised costs of climate change and pollution aren't bad enough; add to those: (a) the indisputable fact that the fossil fuels economy sustains a great proportion of Middle East tyranny, terrorism and structural instability; (b) the indisputable fact that the fossil fuels economy funds Russian (and neighbouring) thugs, as well as tyrants on almost every continent; and (c) the indisputable fact that the fossil fuels industry is a deeply corrupt and massively interfering and destructive force in Australia and the warmongering Anglophile democracies.

It is an horrific attack on humanity, decency and democracy—local and foreign alike—to do anything to prolong it beyond its status as a necessary evil which should be pushed through its death throes with haste.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Before the energy model changes, the technological challenges of cost, including capital cost, spare capacity and intermittency/storage will have to advance considerably.

Hi and welcome to the 21st Century. The technological challenges have been solved long since. Although there are and will be many, many more advances to come, we already have all the technology we need and have had for some considerable time. Only the political will to act is missing.

On the generation side, solar and wind between them have the abiulity to power the entire world many times over, and there is a wide variety of other emerging technologies to assist them.

On the storage side, we have the cheap, reliable, efficient technology of pumped hydro ready in all respects for prime time. Construction cost is small (a tiny fraction of the cost of traditional hydro), site availability is excellent, environmental cost is minimal, and running costs are close to zero. For more information, see http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/pumped-hydro-the-forgotten-storage-solution-47248 and http://energystorage.org/energy-storage/technologies/pumped-hydroelectric-storage and http://www.energy.unimelb.edu.au/files/site1/docs/39/20140227%20reduced%20.pdf (pdf). Another still-emerging technology for large-scale storage is gravity-rail, which claims to be even cheaper and more efficient than pumped hydro. See http://www.aresnorthamerica.com/grid-scale-energy-storage for details. Battery storage costs are dropping like stones. See http://cleantechnica.com/2015/02/05/citigroup-report-240-gw-global-battery-storage-market-2030/ for a summary. The expectation is that this sustained price decline will only accelerate over the next few years.

But the need for storage is in any case grossly overstated. Renewable energy is always available somewhere, and modern HVDC transmission makes it perfectly feasible to draw that energy from wherever it happens to be in surplus at any given time and send it to where it's needed. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-voltage_direct_current for an introduction. Note that high-efficiency HVDC transmission is already in routine use to send power from South Australia to Queensland over the National Grid, from Tasmanian hydro facilities under Bass Strait to Victoria when the sun isn't shining, and in the reverse direction when it is. As the HVDC lines grow ever longer, the need for grid-scale storage diminishes. Over time, we will see more and more surplus renewable energy being transported across time zones to take advantage of the different demand and generation peaks. This already happens on the existing National Grid, but because the grid runs essentially north-south along the eastern seaboard, only to a limited extent. Once the grid extends across the Nullarbor (not a long distance as these things go, it's already more than long enough to reach to Perth from here, just not extended in the right direction) Sydney solar will be cooking pre-dawn breakfasts in Perth and Perth solar cooking dinners in Sydney after dark. And there is no technical reason why HVDC can't link Perth to India or even South Africa - transmission losses are mainly in the switch gear at either end, extra distance is readily achieved just by having a longer cable.

But time-of-day shifted solar isn't the biggie here: it's wind. Any one wind generation facility is intermittent, but as you add more facilities to the grid, the number of low-generation days drops dramatically (provided you don't put them all in the same place, of course). We already send South Australian wind to Queensland and Tasmania, and both Queensland solar and Tasmanian hydro to SA.

The path to 100% renewables is obvious, it is practical, and it isn't even especially expensive. Renewables are cheaper right now, today than fossil fuel for new-build facilities (absent artificial externalisation of costs, which is a political issue, not a technical one). One by one, we need to be switching off (a) our worst polluting plants (coal), and (b) the plants least able to cope with the demand fluctuations (coal again, though both non-peaking gas and nuclear stations also struggle to ramp up production when needed and switch it off at other times). Next we need to get rid of the non-peaking gas plants (which in any case are horribly expensive to run). Peaking fossil plants (usually gas-fired) will remain valuable for a few years longer while the grid expands and storage increases, but they too can be decommissioned when the time comes. Note that much of the decommissioning is not in any sense wasteful: the majority of our fossil generation facilities need to be replaced before too long anyway as they reach their natural end-of-life. (Power plants don't last forever: they wear out and become uneconomic.) It is now cheaper to replace fossil plants with renewable generation. Why wouldn't you?

This has been a long post already, and I've focused exclusively on electricity generation because it is both by far the biggest emitter and the easiest one to fix. This is where our primary efforts should be directed. Time enough to deal with the more difficult (albeit less critical) issues - notably transport - when we have dealt with the big one. We have the technology to do that today, but it will only get better and cheaper as time goes by.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Treason: The betrayal of one's own country by waging war against it or by consciously or purposely acting to aid its enemies.

Right now, by far our country's worst enemy is climate change. Everybody knows that. Everybody admits that. Even Abbott pretends to know it. Climate change is our enemy and Abbott is a traitor, not just to Australia but to the whole world. Treason is the correct term, there can be no other.

I think that in its ordinary usage "purposely aiding an enemy" refers to a human enemy, not the impersonal forces that may arise as a result of bad policy (and which wil not be occasioned or prevented by anything the Australian government does).

Foreign debt is probably a larger threat to Australia's political viability in the short term (an interesting article in the UK Daily Telegraph today argued that Australia, stricken by collapsed commmodity prices, is "the next Greece"). Does that make government spending "treason"? How about those who consider that immigration is destroying the socio-political fabric of Australia ? I don't believe this, but some do. It's a slippery slope, accusing anyone who sees the world or evaluates data and risk differently as "traitors" and deserving "capital punishment". The "truth and reconciliation commission" comment in the article also trivialises the genuine T&RC processes around the world which have followed genocide and savage brutality. The mindset of the article is absolutist, coercive, and undemocratic.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:06 pm

I think he knows a great deal.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:22 pm

^Tannin, thanks for the links above. I'm on leave next week and I'll read them carefully. As I am not personally familiar with the data, I admit I do not have a hands-on view. I do, however, live with high-quality engineers and scientists at work, adn I had dinner with several last night.

All of them tell me that, absent some serious battery breakthrough (several of them were optimistic about the potential of graphene, here), renewables will need to be backed up by fossil fuel infrastructure comparable to today's capacity, to deal with the problem of intermittency. So renewable power involves something like duplicate infrastructure, with capital costs that are unlikely to be politically acceptable to the public.

Everything is political in the end, of course - you can pay for that infrastructure, and I understand that Germany -where the political will has been huge - managed to produce 50% of its electricity from solar a few weeks back, when it was 37 deg and a holiday. It is a striking number, even under favourable conditions.

I will read your links, when I have time. I'm comfortable doing the numbers, if I can find an impartial data set, and it's an interesting topic.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:01 pm

The problem is baseline power and always has been. Nuclear covers that if the NIMBYs will get out of the way. We'd have enough uranium here to power ourselves for a few thousand years while renewables and storage become a viable option for baseline power. I'm sure a modern 2015 designed reactor built in a highly geologically stable area in Australia (so pretty much all of it) would be perfectly safe.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Mugwump wrote:
I think that in its ordinary usage "purposely aiding an enemy" refers to a human enemy, not the impersonal forces that may arise as a result of bad policy (and which wil not be occasioned or prevented by anything the Australian government does).

Foreign debt is probably a larger threat to Australia's political viability in the short term (an interesting article in the UK Daily Telegraph today argued that Australia, stricken by collapsed commmodity prices, is "the next Greece"). Does that make government spending "treason"? How about those who consider that immigration is destroying the socio-political fabric of Australia ? I don't believe this, but some do. It's a slippery slope, accusing anyone who sees the world or evaluates data and risk differently as "traitors" and deserving "capital punishment". The "truth and reconciliation commission" comment in the article also trivialises the genuine T&RC processes around the world which have followed genocide and savage brutality. The mindset of the article is absolutist, coercive, and undemocratic.

There's a general understanding out there that politicians will make mistakes, sometimes catastrophic mistakes. But there's also an understanding that, whatever side of the fence a government hails from, and however crazy or ideologically driven they may be, they are generally acting in what they think is the country's best interests. Spending and immigration policies would almost always fall into that category.

I'm not sure how anyone could argue that this attack on renewables is a sincere attempt to make this country a better place, though. Does anyone believe that Joe Hockey actually thinks wind turbines are uglier than coalmines? Does Tony Abbott seriously think that wind turbines are just a fad that we'll all soon get over as we race back to coal with open arms? It's absurd.

The only possible defence is that they're very, very stupid, and that they sincerely believe that coal is the long-term answer, even as rising CO2 levels force other countries to fast-track their transition to renewables; that they sincerely believe that stubbornly clinging onto dirty power is not going to cost the next generation big-time.

Are they really that stupid? I doubt it. I think they know exactly what they're doing. I don't know what they tell themselves at night to justify it, but I think they know on at least one level that they're screwing Australians over. If so, then that is a massive betrayal of the trust that has been placed in them by voters, and there ought to be consequences for that.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Cheers Wokko. If I was to say that "there is no such thing as baseload power" it would be an exaggeration, but not much of one. There is almost no such thing as "baseload" power. Traditionally, most power was generated in large, centralised fossil-fueled plants burning coal. (Or sometimes something else; mostly coal though.) These plants, for technical reasons, were (and still are) unable to vary their output in response to demand. It takes hours or even days to bring one up to full production, and just as long to spin it down again. (Nuclear plants are even worse in this regard: you can't just "switch off" a reactor anymore than you can start one up at a moment's notice. And they usually hate running at low power settings - the Chernobyl disaster was caused by, among several other things, trying to shut the thing off too fast without allowing time for the xenon poisoning to decay. But that's off the point here.)

In consequence, like most countries, we ended up with a number of large so-called "baseload" plants which had to run all day, every day whether the power was needed or not, and a smaller number of peaking plants which cost more to run but could switch on and off relatively rapidly (at something like a half-hour's notice usually) to deal with the daytime and late afternoon peaks, and also to be on standby for both planned and unplanned outages from the "baseload" stations. Unfortunately, this model was unworkable as it stood: either you had a lot of expensive peaking capacity (which made power rather dear) or else you had to increase the "baseload" generation well beyond the actual minimum daily load and waste a lot of power (which is also expensive). Additionally, you needed large spinning reserves - generators powered up and consuming coal but not connected to the grid. Spinning reserve was needed purely for unexpected short-term demand spikes and (more commonly) to cut in at short notice (roughly between 10 seconds and 10 minutes) to deal with unplanned outages. Obviously, spinning reserve is very wasteful - except when you need it!

There was no solution to this dilemma on the generation side of the supply-demand equation. It was solved instead by artifically manipulating demand by time-shifting as many power-intensive tasks as possible to off-peak periods - notably domestic and commercial hot water services with overnight storage heaters, domestic heating with "heat banks", and a variety of non time-critical industrial processes. All of this was done simply to compensate for the inability of "baseload" generators to vary their output in response to demand. In recent years we have seen this same idea taken further with time-variable industrial supply contracts where, in exchange for a substantial discount, many large industrial and commercial users have some of their power switched off remotely by the power utility. For example, industrial buildings can have their air conditioning shut down for an hour or so during large demand peaks, which isn't noticable so long as it's only off for a short time.

Take away the existing artifical time constraints on power use (these are mostly enforced through time-of-day pricing mechanisms) and there is very little demand for power between (roughly) midnight and (roughly) dawn. If the trouble with most renewable power is that you can't turn it on when the sun has set and the wind isn't blowing, the trouble with old-style "baseload" power is that you can't turn it off when no-one wants the electricity.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Can you think of another example?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:39 pm

Still replying to Wokko, let's consider nuclear power. We will consider safety first. Despite the wild claims of pro-nuclear activists, it isn't "safe", far from it - but then neither is coal. Or gas. Even renewable technolgies carry a certain amount of risk. You see figures purporting to show that nuclear is the safest form of power generation ever discovered, and it's easy enough to concoct such numbers by buggerising about with your starting assumptions in such a way as to rule out almost everything short of being present at a core meltdown, but they are not credible. Equally absurd are the numbers some of the nuttier anti-nuclear activists cite. On balance, the answer lies somewhere in-between those two extremes and, at least in the short to medium term, rather closer to the "safe" side than the "dangerous" side, provided only that we assume the extensive (and very expensive!) safeguards specified by international best practice.

Now let's turn to environmental consequences (setting aside radiation and weapons proliferation concerns). Contrary to the claims of nuclear activists, nuclear power is not a zero carbon technology. There is substantial carbon generation involved in the extraction and processing of the fuel, and a very large one-off carbon hit during the construction phase. Because the life of a nuclear plant is quite short - around 40 years, give or take - the "one-time" carbon cost is quite significant. Nuclear power isn't in the same street, carbon-wise, as wind, tidal, solar or hydro. It is nevertheless vastly superior to coal and gas. It's not "no carbon", but it is "low carbon".

In summary so far, nuclear power isn't ideal from a safety or a carbon-release point of view, but it is quite good.

Finally, let's consider the economics which are, in three words, somewhere betwen bad and terrible. It is very, very expensive. Most of the world pretty much stopped building nuclear power plants several decades ago, and this wasn't because of Three-mile Island and it wasn't because of Chernobyl - though neither of these helped - it was simply because the plants take years to build (closer to decades in some cases) and they are incredibly expensive. Most of the Western world's tiny handful of new-build reactors are only proceeding because of massive government subsidies (either direct subsidies or - more commonly - not-so-well hidden subsidies delivered via commercially insane power purchase contracts).

Nuclear power plants also take a very long time to construct, and the newer, more technologically attractive late-generation power plants we read about from time to time will take still longer because we don't even have a final design for them yet. By the time we could decide on and legislate for and build a nuclear power plant here in Australia - think 10 years absolute minimum, almost certainly closer to 20 years - the cost penalty will be even bigger than it is today. There is no reason to think that nuclear plant will get any cheaper, and every reason to expect that renewables like solar and wind will continue their dramatic and sustained price drops, and that the cost of storage will drop even faster.

In short, nuclear is an answer, it's just not a very good one.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:46 pm

To be complete, I should also mention fusion power. Seventy-odd years ago, the commercial debut of fusion power was 20 or 30 years off. Today, after 60 or 70 years of effort and untold billions of dollars tipped over it, the commercial debut of fusion power is 20 or 30 years off.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Treason: The betrayal of one's own country by waging war against it or by consciously or purposely acting to aid its enemies.

I think that in its ordinary usage "purposely aiding an enemy" refers to a human enemy, not the impersonal forces that may arise as a result of bad policy.

Neat evasion, but evasion nevertheless. The global warming disaster is very much a matter of human action. You may, if you wish, regard uncontrolled greenhouse gas emission as an "impersonal force" but it is by its very nature a direct result of human action by very human actors. You can twist things so as to regard global warming itself as a threat not involving humans, but all that does is make the charge of treason more applicable to the individual humans most responsible for it.

Treason has always been the term applied to actions calculated to imperil the state, or the life, health and wellbeing of the citizens of the state, and particularly so where those actions are motivated by greed, self-interest, or loyalty to things or individuals outside the state. The crime of treason has never been restricted to any particular type of threat to the state, nor has the motivation of the traitor ever been especially relevant, nor has it ever been restricted to purely human threats. For example, you could be just as easily tried and executed for treason because you supported a foreign state against your own, because you supported a home-grown Yorkist claimant to the throne instead of a home-grown Lancastrian, because you supported a hereditary prince instead of your elected representatives, because you supported no government at all instead of the current one (anarchists were often executed), and - of particular relevance here - because you acted in the interests of an (imaginary) religious figure instead of in support of your head of state. Treason is a one-size-fits-all offence. It can be and should be applied in any case where an individual or a group unreasonably or wantonly puts other interests (typically greed) above the interest of the nation.

In the case of deliberate sabotage of efforts to avert worldwide disaster (that is to say, in Abbott's case) it isn't just treason against this nation, it is treason against all nations, and it isn't just treason against all nations existing today, it is treason against all nations for at least centuries to come and probably longer.

I am not in favour of traitors of this kind being hanged, drawn and quartered as is traditional for the crime of treason. Given the magnitude of the crime and its potential to impact future generations for centuries to come, a heavier penalty is appropriate.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:37 am

David wrote:

I'm not sure how anyone could argue that this attack on renewables is a sincere attempt to make this country a better place, though. Does anyone believe that Joe Hockey actually thinks wind turbines are uglier than coalmines? Does Tony Abbott seriously think that wind turbines are just a fad that we'll all soon get over as we race back to coal with open arms? It's absurd.

The only possible defence is that they're very, very stupid, and that they sincerely believe that coal is the long-term answer, even as rising CO2 levels force other countries to fast-track their transition to renewables; that they sincerely believe that stubbornly clinging onto dirty power is not going to cost the next generation big-time.

Abbott made no secret of his virulent disagreement with the AGW theory before he was elected, so one might argue that they're actually being true to their manifest position : hardly "screwing Australians over".

Secondly, Coal represents about 15% of Australia's exports. For an Australian PM to condemn coal would be a little like the CEO of a business damning one of its largest products. Some hot headed folk might argue that that would be treason, too.

Lastly, if you do not accept the AGW hypothesis, then raising the price of electrical power by subsidising renewables across the economy would add further unattractiveness to Australia's many defects as a location for transformed manufactures. Perhaps that, too would be intentional harm to the country. Funny game, this treason stuff. You need a lot of rope to play it.

I think Coal needs to vanish from the energy mix, as I accept the AGW theory (not because I have processed the numbers myself, but because I am - rightly or wrongly - prepared to trust the scientists who say it is a reality). But I will not criminalise people who do not accept it, which is what the charge of "treason" does. Self-righteousness, and the itch to straiten and punish that underlies it, is the Left's particular vice, and its route to tyranny.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:01 am

Tannin wrote:

Treason has always been the term applied to actions calculated to imperil the state, or the life, health and wellbeing of the citizens of the state, and particularly so where those actions are motivated by greed, self-interest, or loyalty to things or individuals outside the state.

It's actually well-defined under Australian criminal law. In neither that sense, nor in its colloquial usage, is it applicable to elected politicians who do things that you do not agree with. Rundle's rhetoric is just swivel-eyed hysteria, like the various right-wing nutters over here who wanted an act of attainder against Gordon Brown after the financial crisis. But if pitchforks and torches, lampposts and rope etc fulfil a revenge fantasy, then hey ho.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:18 am

Oh what reactionary BS you've posted in this thread, Mugwump, and especially laughable in a discussion on just about the most tyrannical industry known to humanity.

The only hysteria here lies in your strained efforts to read Rundle legalistically when blind Freddy can see he is clearly not even close to deploying that genre here Rolling Eyes

Even worse, you've trotted out all the old monopoly fear lines in defense of a once necessary evil that needs to be booted forth from humanity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: