Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's warming the world

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Far out. I'm waiting.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Quote:
It has been conventionally defined as a period extending from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries or alternatively, from about 1350 to about 1850 ..... NASA defines the term as a cold period between AD 1550 and 1850 and notes three particularly cold intervals: one beginning about 1650, another about 1770, and the last in 1850

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

So? The headlines refer to A mini ice age, the article refers to a repeat of the Maunder Minimum which has more specific dates as quoted above.

Dates entirely contained within the dates I quoted and further, dates which clearly have bugger-all relevance to global temperature insofar as they don't line up with the actual coldest times within that period (see above for details already provided) and even if they were relevant to anything of consequence (which they aren't), completely irrelevant to the Southern Hemisphere because the "Little Ice Age" was a strictly local happening confined to the North Atlantic region.

Summary: nothing to see here, move along please.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:22 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Quote:
It has been conventionally defined as a period extending from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries or alternatively, from about 1350 to about 1850 ..... NASA defines the term as a cold period between AD 1550 and 1850 and notes three particularly cold intervals: one beginning about 1650, another about 1770, and the last in 1850

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

So? The headlines refer to A mini ice age, the article refers to a repeat of the Maunder Minimum which has more specific dates as quoted above.

Dates entirely contained within the dates I quoted and further, dates which clearly have bugger-all relevance to global temperature insofar as they don't line up with the actual coldest times within that period (see above for details already provided) and even if they were relevant to anything of consequence (which they aren't), completely irrelevant to the Southern Hemisphere because the "Little Ice Age" was a strictly local happening confined to the North Atlantic region.

Summary: nothing to see here, move along please.

Really? No shit sherlock, reading comprehension is not your skill is it?

stui magpie wrote:

The phenomena referred to is apparently real, the Maunder Minimum but only impacted Europe as far as anyone knows.
Rolling Eyes
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:42 pm

I already said that, Einstein.

The point is, this is - even if not bullshit - irrelevant to anything that matters.

Now I've led you by the hand and provided you with dates and details, demonstrated conclusively that the effect (if any) is inconsequential insofar as it was wholly contained within a timeframe where nothing of particular relevance happened in most of the world, and certainly not here. What else can I do? Zip you up and shake it? *

(* Possibly not in that order.)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Look, thanks for the offer but i wouldn't want you to strain anything.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:55 pm

Checking today, Tannin is right that this is yet another oldie long dealt with:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/06/what-if-the-sun-went-into-a-new-grand-minimum/

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2013/aug/14/global-warming-solar-minimum-barely-dent

http://www.readfearn.com/2015/06/the-australian-misreports-study-on-influence-of-sun-on-global-warming/

https://andthentheresphysics.wordpress.com/

But what bothers me most is the complete lack of grasp of the problem: Climate concerns us because we are now aware enough and wealthy enough to not let the elements end our one shot at life prematurely. That is a very rational endeavour, not a bleeding conspiracy.

The potential for fluctuation and uncertainty due to the complexity of the system only increases the need for risk management. In this case, climatological and ecological risk management, and a stack of geopolitical, demographic and economic factors, scream for us to end the freaking fossil fuels age ASAP and to bring on renewables.

At the same time, the twists and turns of climate science are science at its best. It has never ever been otherwise, it's just that we've never followed the formation of scientific knowledge live like this. As emphasised elsewhere, knowledge is not digital (i.e., a clear yes or a clear no), except in the most intuitive, stable senses (and I even doubt that, but I am assuming conventional boundaries here).

Everyone knows good strategy, management and leadership are not digital, either. Everyone knows these things are about dealing with uncertainties, not denying and avoiding them.

Overall, this has been a shameful and horrific neoliberal detour, much like the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. In a similar manner, so many layers of purposeful misunderstanding have been generated:
  • In defense of a filthy industry we need rid of anyhow;
  • Through the idiotic heuristic that you need perfect information to make wise judgements;
  • Due to dumb binary politics and a lack of party-independent thought;
  • Due to ill-directed outsider oppression psychiatry (yes, fighting the evil enemy or "the system" motivates me, too, but good judgement is all about picking the right enemy; you have to target the indignation to productive ends, as Keating has said)
You just have to shake your head at the complete stupidity and waste of the entire denial process from start to finish.

And, as with the Iraq obsession, the denial obsession is not "conservative" by any known definition; it is rash, emotional, ill-disciplined, poorly thought through and negligent. It will rightly go down as yet more reactionary extremism and/or good old lies for cash from the very same era of folly.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:35 am

^ Very good post PTID.

Well, most of it was very good. There was a bit near the start where it actually wasn't very good, it was brilliant!. I score it 11 out of 10 for the three short, concise, perfectly chosen words immediately after "checking today". Smile

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:39 am

What happened?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:50 pm

Watch the flat-earth crowd go running for cover as yet another of their unscientific memes comes crashing down in tatters.

Wokko wrote:
Whatever is meant to be warming the world better come off its 18 year break and get going again.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/earth-heading-for-mini-ice-age-within-15-years/story-e6frflp0-1227439329592

And then grimly defended that unfounded assumption despite quality rebuttals from several better-informed posters. Now let's see what happens when a real scientist looks at those reports:

(QUOTE FOLLOWS, my emphasis added)

This month theres been a hoopla about a mini ice age, and unfortunately it tells us more about failures of science communication than the climate. Such failures can maintain the illusion of doubt and uncertainty, even when theres a scientific consensus that the world is warming.

The story starts benignly with a peer-reviewed paper and a presentation in early July by Professor Valentina Zharkova, from Northumbria University, at Britains National Astronomy Meeting.

The paper presents a model for the suns magnetic field and sunspots, which predicts a 60% fall in sunspot numbers when extrapolated to the 2030s. Crucially, the paper makes no mention of climate.

The first failure of science communication is present in the Royal Astronomical Society press release from July 9. It says that solar activity will fall by 60 per cent during the 2030s without clarifying that this solar activity refers to a fall in the number of sunspots, not a dramatic fall in the life-sustaining light emitted by the sun.

The press release also omits crucial details. It does say that the drop in sunspots may resemble the Maunder minimum, a 17th century lull in solar activity, and includes a link to the Wikipedia article on the subject. The press release also notes that the Maunder minimum coincided with a mini ice age.

But that mini ice age began before the Maunder minimum and may have had multiple causes, including volcanism.

Crucially, the press release doesnt say what the implications of a future Maunder minimum are for climate.

How would a new Maunder minimum impact climate? Its an obvious question, and one that climate scientists have already answered. But many journalists didnt ask the experts, instead drawing their own conclusions.

The UKs Telegraph warned: [] the earth is 15 years from a mini ice age that will cause bitterly cold winters during which rivers such as the Thames freeze over. Pictures of glaciers and frozen rivers loomed large.

News Corps Andrew Bolt used the mini ice age to attack climate science. Many climate sceptic bloggers readily accepted the story, despite climate never being mentioned in the peer-reviewed paper.

The media failed in its duty to investigate and inform. It didnt seek expert comment to put the research into context. Instead journalists tried to answer technical climate science questions themselves, and mostly got it wrong.

As discussed previously, the impact of a new Maunder minimum on climate has been studied many times. Theres 40% more CO2 in the air now than during the 17th century, and global temperature records are being smashed. A new Maunder minimum would slow climate change, but it is not enough to stop it.

The scientist at the centre of the media storm, Valentina Zharkova, told USA today: "In the press release, we didnt say anything about climate change. My guess is when they heard about Maunder minimum, they used Wikipedia or something to find out more about it." While Zharkova was surprised by the media coverage, she and others continued to discuss a new mini ice age.

If a mini ice age is at odds with the prior literature, why does Zharkova continue speculating about it? In personal correspondence with Zharkova, she told me it was only after the media coverage that her research was connected to climate change and the Maunder minimum. However, she said that once the connection was made, it did make sense to her.

Zharkova also told IFLS: "We didnt mention anything about the weather change, but I would have to agree that possibly you can expect it [a mini ice age]."

So it seems Zharkovas justification is based on media extrapolation of her own press release and Wikipedia, not the extensive peer-reviewed literature on the Maunder minimum itself.

I emailed Zharkova and she sent me two studies that support her views, but they arent representative of the literature and I dont believe she has critically evaluated their content.

Is there any quantitative basis for claims of a mini ice age? Zharkova and her colleagues have cited a 1997 article by Judith Lean, who showed the suns brightness (quantified by solar irradiance) was 3 W per m2 less during the Maunder minimum than today. More recent studies, including those by Lean, find the solar irradiance varies less than was thought in 1997.

In plain English, the small change in sunlight reaching the Earth during a new Maunder minimum wouldnt be enough to reverse climate change. For the technically minded, even a 3 W per m2 change in irradiance corresponds to a radiative forcing of just 0.5 W per m2 (because the Earth is a sphere and not a flat circle), which is less than the radiative forcing produced by anthropogenic greenhouse gases.

To be blunt: no mini ice age for us. The real story of the impending mini ice age isnt about climate at all. It is a cautionary tale, of how science should and shouldnt be communicated.

The lessons to be learned from this is scientists must communicate their science concisely and accurately, especially if we are to avoid the media frenzy highlighted by the ABCs Media Watch. If scientists, science organisations and media arent careful, they can inadvertently end up promoting dangerous misinformation.

- MJI Brown, Associate Professor of Physics and Astronomy at Monash University. Read the full article at https://theconversation.com/the-mini-ice-age-hoopla-is-a-giant-failure-of-science-communication-45037 It is worth reading it there because there are a number of useful links to follow for background and further detail.

In short, anti-science myth #6391 squashed flat. The deniers will remain as silent as possible and say "No! Look over there!" at every opportunity. But don't let their humiliated silence on this issue worry you, some bald and clueless bugger will pop up in a week or two with some other equally unfounded and hysterical load of nonsense with which to justify his ignorance. Put money on it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:16 pm

Tannin wrote:
Watch the flat-earth crowd go running for cover as yet another of their unscientific memes comes crashing down in tatters.

In plain English, the small change in sunlight reaching the Earth during a new Maunder minimum wouldnt be enough to reverse climate change. For
The lessons to be learned from this is scientists must communicate their science concisely The deniers will remain as silent as possible and say "No! Look over there!" at every opportunity. But don't let their humiliated silence on this issue worry you, some bald and clueless bugger will pop up in a week or two with some other equally unfounded and hysterical load of nonsense with which to justify his ignorance. Put money on it.

Media Watch covers the same issue that the climate denies & their fellow travellers in the commercial media & Nicks jumped on (a distortion) otherwise known as don't let the facts get in the way of a good (Murdoch) story:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4277443.htm

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Lot of effort there to prove a point that nobody disputed. Razz Well done. Wink
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Well, nobody except you. For practical purposes, that's close enough. Smile

Well, except you and countless clueless media nasties such as Bolt and the usual right-wing tabloid nutters and shock jocks and the entire staff of the Liberal Party/IPA newsletter, sorry, I mean The Australian.

Hmmm ... Still nobody worth mentioning. I stand corrected.

(As a matter of detail, and of full and frank disclosure sufficient to bar me forever from aspiring to high office such as, just to pick an example completely at random, becoming the Speaker of the House of Representatives, I had misremembered Wokko disputing it repeatedly, cheered on here and there by you. There was another thread, one of TBFs no doubt, running at about the same time, which I presumably conflated with this one.)

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:29 pm

Very few of us indeed, HAL.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:29 pm

LOL, dementia is kicking in.

I never said at any time that this would reverse climate change, I even went as far as saying i had no idea if the data was accurate. You spent most of the next posts arguing with your own perception of what you thought I'd posted rather than what i actually said.

All good though, we couldn't have you in high office anyway, you're entirely too honest.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:33 pm

Tannin wrote:
Hmmm ... Still nobody worth mentioning. I stand corrected.

Tannin wrote:
Very few of us indeed, HAL.

Damn it! I was relying on HAL saying: Not many people spell 'hmmm' with three "m"s. The bloody robot let me down!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: