Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies must chase Hawkins hard

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:47 pm
Post subject: Pies must chase Hawkins hardReply with quote

5 damn good reasons why we need to go after Hawkins with everything we have -

1 ) He is a match winner, not just a foot soldier. The Pies young quality list is at the point in its development where we need to bring in stand out footballers, not just depth.

2 ) He is a restricted free agent. No trade required.

3 ) It is an obligation of every Vic club to make Geelongs pursuit of Dangerfield as difficult as possible. When they pay overs for Dangerfield, we need to inflate the value of other Geelong players and make it impossible for Geelong to retain them all. ( Apparently Blicavs is getting ready to sign on for well under his true value because its his way of thanking them for the opportunity - Give me a break )

4 ) Our tall stocks are thin. Moore has the future versatility.

5 ) Neither Cloke or Hawkins would ever be double teamed again. Scary !

If we don't get him, that's fine too. As long as we don't just roll over and let clubs like Geelong and Hawthorn have it all their own way with free agency.
And please don't give me the '' he has a father / son connection at the Cats, so hes not going anywhere '' line. Seriously, if your son came home and said '' Sorry Dad but Im leaving the family business because I can earn an extra $ 200,000 a year elsewhere ''. What would you say !

Any thoughts out there ??
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he'd leave, doesnt seem the type.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:55 pm

Geelong will have plenty of coin to play with when the oldies retire. They can afford both as danger may take unders just to get home.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:00 pm

It's not just getting a couple of hundred K more, virtue of the family connection and his own contribution, he'll be financially set for life by staying exactly where he is.

3rd generation Geelong player

The actual family business is a hereford stud just out of Finley. I'd be surprised if he went back to that after football, I can see him staying in Geelong.

I'd be absolutely stunned if he left Geelong and went to another club.

Ask the question by all means but it ain't gonna happen so don't get hung up on it.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:01 pm

Chase him hard and see what happens.

Apparently Geelong are into Danger, Lachie Henderson and Scott Selwood.

That will be a lot of coin, so make it hard for them to match any big offer for Hawkins.

Still, doubt that Hawkins will leave.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:11 pm

It behooves us to obtain the best full forward possible, at the best price.

We have the amazing but oft injured Ben Reid, who was rejected as a forward and sent down back. Now he can kick straight. We need a backup.

When the amazing but expensive Chris Judd was available, we bided our time and got the equally amazing but not as expensive Luke Ball. Guess who's got a premiership medallion, and guess who's club is a shambles.

There are plenty of big blokes about who can kick straight. Hawkins, I'm afraid, is in the Judd category.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:22 pm

A non-st5arter from the very beginning. Zero chance Geelong moves this guy.

Just as Cloke did, Hawkins will bleat on about free agency as part of the negotiation but once free agency sets his market price, he will accept his home team discount, just as Cloke did, and will stay with the Cats. I guess we might as well be one of 10 clubs who can help to set his market price and I am sure we will.

If anyone got excited that they might get Cloke they were severely ill-informed. Anyone dreaming of getting Hawkins is equally ill informed.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:44 pm

E wrote:
A non-st5arter from the very beginning. Zero chance Geelong moves this guy.

Just as Cloke did, Hawkins will bleat on about free agency as part of the negotiation but once free agency sets his market price, he will accept his home team discount, just as Cloke did, and will stay with the Cats. I guess we might as well be one of 10 clubs who can help to set his market price and I am sure we will.

If anyone got excited that they might get Cloke they were severely ill-informed. Anyone dreaming of getting Hawkins is equally ill informed.

" E ", I agree with you. I should have put a disclaimer at the end of my O P.

We could certainly do with him in our forward line but I wouldn't honestly think that anyone believes he will be coming to Collingwood.
It's more about other clubs playing their part as you suggested and not allowing Geelong to get a free hit at all these free agents they are supposedly connected to.
cressyg 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:10 pm

I like your comments Pies2016. The Cats are in a bind because they cannot negotiate Hawkins and Motlop's contracts until they know what they have to stump up for Dangerfield. The Cats know they have to offer more than what Adelaide can afford, but not sell the farm (They are banking on Hawkin's loyalty...it is interesting that the Cats expect loyalty from their stars but then pay an interloper significantly more than anyone else in the team). They do not want to have to trade for Dangerfield as they need to use draft picks to trade for Sellwood and Henderson. Hawkins would be awesome at FF with Cloke at CHF, and White or Reid lurking as the 3rd tall
Az 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Without Hawkins, Geelong don't have a forward line. Sure they have a few other guys who can kick a few goals but he's the most important player in that team as is Cloke for us. Geelong more than anyone know this and don't think for a second they would sacrifice Hawkins if it meant getting Danger, Henderson and Scott Selwood. It would be Judd + Kennedy mark II. Would love to be eating my words later on but he isn't going anywhere sorry to say.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:10 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-13/whos-up-for-grabs-the-preliminary-list-of-2016-free-agents-

When trying to weigh up how hard we should go for a Dangerfield or Hawkins it's important to compare them to what might be on offer next year and who of ours will need re-signing.

Looking at that list Hannebery could be the equivalent of Dangerfield in looking for a return back to Victoria while Riewoldt like Hawkins is unlikely to leave his present club.

If a few of our younger players can step up to the next level and we can add another genuine A grade talent to the mix I don't feel we're that far away from being a serious contender next year.

Personally I don't see it as to soon to make a play for a big name.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:29 pm

He won’t leave the Cats - Guarantee that
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:39 pm

Just wondering how many said that about Gazza Jnr and Heath Shaw after their premiership years.

Never say " never ".
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:27 am

As I posted in the Cam Mooney article thread yesterday, Cats have Johnson, Bartel, Lonergan, Cokes, Mackie and Rivers all at 31 and Enright will probably finish up this year. Not sure what their contracts are like but they can't have long to go and maybe the Cats will have money up their sleeve when they leave, which can't be far off.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:27 am

DP
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: